Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Drag and Drop Tokens from MM and VG not working in ANY of my games

When I try to drag and drop a monster (from purchased content) into my games the token appears blank and connected to a 5E character sheet with all 0s. This is true for all of of my games. However, in Out of the Abyss, if the monsters are in the actual module they work, but not if they are from the general compendium. Tried on Firefox and Chrome. Same issues. Tried across all past and present games. Same issue. Have had no problem for a year - just started yesterday and I made no settings changes to any of my games. Have tried dragging and dropping from every point on the sidebar - have tried multiple different monsters from different sources.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You should report this in either the  Character Sheet Enhancements!  thread (it might be related) or a  Help Center Request . Good luck. I have seen a few similar reports.
Thanks very much. Posted in the Character Sheet Enhancements thread with screenshots and sent in a Help Request.
I am having the exact same issue noted by Kurt W.  When I drag over they appear as the generic profile token with no stats and adds them as a character in the Journal. On clicking and opening the character sheet it appears empty. I am running Rime of the Frostmaiden and if I open a specific monster in that campaign, it works. So it only applies to all other monsters outside of that particular campaign. I also went back to past games, created new games - same issue. Closed extensions. Tried in Firefox and Chrome. Same issue. I am attaching an image of what it looks like when I add a druid of Zuggtmoy, Frost Druid, and Tortle Druid.  Any idea how to get the drag and drop functionality working again from the compendium? 
I'm having the exact same issue.
I sent in a help request and received a short message back that it is working for them. Well, it's still not working for me. Monsters from the paid compendiums MM, VG, and MTOF not dropping tokens and character sheet into games. I can view them in the compendium, but can't actually drop working tokens in the game. Appears the connection between the games and the tokens/character sheet is broken. Have tried all possible solutions I can think of. Have created new games. Same issue. Old games where they were working. Same issue. The monsters in the modules do work. Exact same problem as Keelan's screen shot. Posted my own below. In it you see my attempt at dragging Acolyte of Fierna and Black Dragon over. The Duergar that came with the module is just fine. Can't add any new monsters from paid compendiums. Essentially I can't create encounters which means Roll20 largely becomes useless without this function - had to cancel my games this week.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hmm. I can't duplicate this behavior either. I opened up our Rime of the Frostmaiden game and dragged in the creatures you cited. They all came in with tokens. Some more things that you may or may not have tried: 1. Using a private browsing window, to ensure minimal chance that an extension is causing the behavior. 2. In game where you are are experiencing the issue, verify that you have removed any local copies of the problem monsters. Be sure to check archived characters. Then try again. This may help verify if the problem is due to the Compendium refusing to overwrite a problem character. 3. Since you are a Pro user, see if you can transmogrify in a copy from a game where the compendium drag works. This may help in down whether the issue is game or compendium-centric. 4. Are you on a VPN, or in a country which has recently or traditionally reported connectivity issues: China, Russia, Germany? 5. If you want to shoot me an invite through a PM and promote me to GM status, I could take a look around and see if I can discover the cause of or repeat the behavior. This would help rule out that the issue is due to any hardware or internet issue.
Well that is super odd behavior that it is only happening in some users games and not others.  I attempted to use a private browser for both Firefox and Chrome but had the same results.  This might be onto something but I am not quite sure. When I drag a monster from the compendium it opens the monsters sheet but doesnt add the token at first. When close the pop up and I click and drag again then the blue avatar image gets added. But in the mean time a local copy of the monster has been added to the Journal as if it was a character. When I delete the monster out of the journal and attempt to drag again from the compendium it has the same result.  (Plus user) But when I check my other games the same issue is happening in all of them. I can only drag monsters out of the compendium from the module that is associated with the game.  I am not using a VPN or in a country that has reported connectivity issues.  I sent you an invite to check out one of my test games that I use for checking how things will look. Ill promote you to GM right away.  Thank you again for all of you help in trying to troubleshoot this. 
I'm experiencing what Keelan R. is exactly as he stated it.
Thanks Keith for trying to help us out. I'm having all the same problems exactly as Keelan has outlined them, even down to the detail of only being able to use monsters from the mondule (if they cross list to the compedium they work). If I transmogrify from a module with the monsters it, they work. So this appears to be a larger compedium issue. If you go to the compedium, start at the very top with Aarokokra (or however you spell that) - the problem continues until you reach a monster in that purchased module (again I've purchased all the monster source books as well so they should work equally as well). What's strange is in past games where everything worked find it no longer works as well. I'll send an invite to my most recent game in the Out of the Abyss module. p.s. I don't often play with the monsters i.e. create my own versions, adapt etc - so everything should be "clean" in terms of the that.  Thanks very much.
Stuart M.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Ditto Keelan, Crispin and Kurt.
I too noticed that when we add from the compendium and it reverts to a  blank token on the page, the system auto-generates a parallel monster in our journal that is JUST the token with a blank character sheet. The folks in support said that my journal was conflicting with the compendium when in actuality the system is creating its own copy in my journal! I never "mess" with the tokens. Didn't notice this until Keelan mentioned this above. Wow, seems like we are deep in a significant problem here. 
Kurt, Stuart, Crispin, try adding a monster into your game and wait like 10-15 seconds before you close the popup window. I think when I do this now I can add monsters into my games. Other tokens that are a part of the module already appear instantly but if it isnt in the module it seems like it is taking much longer, and if you close out of the pop up window the monster token wont appear.  Let me know if this works in your game as well. 
Keelan my friend. You did it. Yes, that strange window opens which never happened before. I was closing it quickly thinking it was part of the problem. Wait, and the token appears. Not sure why that happens but we can play now. Thank you! Drinks are on me.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That's what I've been discovering while poking around in your games.

Edited 1616682307
I am not sure whether it has something to do with it, but: all my default tokens are broken. In Curse of Strahd I adjusted all default tokens to have hp in bar 2 and ac in bar 1 with hp bar 'bottom overlapping' and 'compact' view. ALL have been reset somehow. Many hours of work in the trash bin. I am super angry. roll20 is changing things without any testing it seems.  And since there is no possibility to set default token configuration via 'apply defaults' there is no way to repair.  This is not the first time, roll20 breaks my game settings somehow. What am I paying for? UPDATE: this seems to be the case only for Curse of Strahd. A pain in the ass anyway.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
How did you effect the original change? Manually setting each token, or using an API script?
@Bernd, As a pro user, you have access to the api. Tokenmod is your friend. You can create a macro to set up the token defaults. You can also use this script by The Aaron to update all placed tokens.
I am fairly new to running a game on roll20 and i am also having problems with clicking on tokens and moving them. It will not even let me move them or select them. Want to make sure I am not doing anything wrong, but I have no idea what to do. 
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Are you on the same layer that the tokens are on?&nbsp; Map layer, token/object layer, gm layer...&nbsp; Tokens can be on any of those 3, and are visible to the gm on all 3 (though translucent on the gm layer, and not visible to players on that layer).&nbsp; You can't interact with them, if you aren't on the same layer, which is chosen from the little toolbox on the left. <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Toolbox_Overview" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Toolbox_Overview</a> If you are sure you are on the correct layer, then you should work through the troubleshooting steps. <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Solving_Technical_Issues" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Solving_Technical_Issues</a>
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Joe M. said: I am fairly new to running a game on roll20 and i am also having problems with clicking on tokens and moving them. It will not even let me move them or select them. Want to make sure I am not doing anything wrong, but I have no idea what to do.&nbsp; A good overview would probably help. I have a couple of videos for that purpose.&nbsp; Roll20 TnT Starting from Scratch Roll20TnT Linking Tokens and Journals
I am having the same thing happen to my games. It's only some, not all the monsters which is really weird. I've cleared my cache, restarted several times, but it doesn't help.
I'm having the same issue. I just ran Tomb of Annihilation and everything in that module worked. I went back over to my other game after purchasing compendium materials so I didn't have to build everything... and I get the generic profile picture for the monster tokens.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
One thing I have seen a lot of lately, is that newly-dropped characters now must fully resolve before closing the window. If you close it too early, the process stops, including token assignment. If you have an incomplete monster due to this, you must delete or rename it before trying to drag in a fresh one. The Compendium will not overwrite an identically named monster, to preserve local modifications.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I reported this to the character sheet feedback thread, since I feel they are likely related.

Edited 1618890393
I too was/am experiencing this issue. @keithcurtis is correct. You need to let the newly-dropped monster/character fully resolve before closing the window or you get the generic token/empty character sheet.