Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Recent Performance Problems

Can we get any kind of explanation on what's been going on these past few weeks? Site's been having a lot of issues, and games have gotten difficult to prep for or even play. I get that you guys are working on it, but we're in the dark on what exactly is going on. Is it a bandwidth issue? Cloudflare problems? Just curious, I think it'd clear up a lot of confusion and frustration for the userbase if we could get a word on why there've been so many issues lately.

Edited 1617246188
Drespar
Roll20 Team
Hey Jay, There will definitely be a dev postmortem on this.  No timeframe yet, but we'll have an update as soon as we can. For now, things should be clearing up-- could you let us know if you are still running into issues? Thanks!

Edited 1617264964
You say things should be clearing up, but they are not clearing up.  Everything is running slow as dirt.  Music will not load half the time, the lighting is bogging down games to a crawl to the point that players can't even move their tokens.  I run  a 9700k processor with a 3080 video card 64gb of ram and a SSD, 600mb download speed and 200mb upload internet, yet somehow your simple web based application slows me down to a crawl where I actually need to log out of the game and reload everything to get some functionality back, and even when I do that it's still clunky as heck.     It's far more than what you guys have been saying your working on "connection timeouts".  How about be honest and transparent with your paid subscirbers and let us know what's going on.   Heck I would even be happy if ya'll just say you're shutting down the service for a week or even a month to fix whatever mess is going on with your servers and or service.  Just BE HONEST!  At this point I'm praying for DNDBeyond to finally release their VTT, at least they communicate honestly with their customers when they run into problems.  THATS ALL WE ARE ASKING FOR!
I have had connection issues on every.single.game I run for the past month.   I only use roll20 for the game, have modules, and avoid using sound or music in Roll20 (Discord and Watch2Gether are our solutions for that) and my players are still having timeout issues and lag issues. Give us an HONEST update or fix it.
Being a pro subscriber, having purchased several main sourcebooks, and around 100 additional materials like map packs, token packs and such. I have been disappointed in the performance of Roll20 over the last few months. Be it lag issues, lighting issues, disconnect issues, I am hopeful these things get address. I am a gamer and will game where ever I get the best performance and support. With so many additional players and new accounts because of stay at home over the last year... I would think a plan of action should be initiated by now. I am not opposed to other VTT services. I own all the materials for 5e in Fantasy Grounds but more of my friends play in Roll20. I also own materials in DND Beyond. I have also have much time invested in Roll20 with over 5000 hours logged. With all the time and money invested here I would prefer to stay. Please address these fundamentally core performance issues. I think us customers have been patient and we remain hopeful.        
I will say the Roll20 Twitter has felt much more active lately in terms of communication and I do feel like we've had an increase in comms in general on the platform. That said I don't think it's at a level that satisfies the user base (or at least the most vocal of them), especially given some of the issues people are experiencing. @Drespar - when you say a dev postmortem, will some of this information be passed on to the users? It'd be great to just hear a "hey this is what happened, sorry we are doing X to help mitigate in the future"  Personally my issues or minor at best, but I know a lot of people have their frustrations at the moment.