Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[MACRO HELP] Whisper to Selected Token or GM...

Hi all, I have a silly demand. How can we select the GM as we would select a token ? I explain myself. I use this macro to ease whispering to players or players between themselves : /w @{selected|character_name} ?{Chuchote @{selected|character_name} } It works perfectly, the only issue i have is that a player cannot "select" the gm to whisper to him. Of course player could use another macro to do this, but i'd l'ike to know if there's a way of "selecting the gm", or whisper "by default" to gm unless a token is selected first... Hope i'm clear in my explainations. Thnaks for your help. Lionel
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Are you saying you want the GM to receive the whispers that go to that selected character, or that you want the GM to receive whispers for characters that don't have player controllers?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The only way to use that would be to change it to: /w "@{target|character_name}" ?{Chuchote @{target|character_name} } You'd click the token after running the macro instead of before. To whisper to the GM, you could target any gm-controlled NPC, or the GM could keep a GM-controlled GM token on the board. Note that I have put quotes around the name query. This will keep it from breaking when using names that have spaces in them.
The Aaron said: Are you saying you want the GM to receive the whispers that go to that selected character, or that you want the GM to receive whispers for characters that don't have player controllers? Neither of these, i just wanted my players to be able to select another player to whisper to him, and if no one is selected then the whisp goes straight to GM
I use this macro for my players. You don’t need to select a token, just put the name of each character into it. Your players (or you the dm) can whisper anyone you put into it. /w ?{Whisper|gm|Roarikk|Terry-Anne|Selenia|Rossweisse} ?{What would you like to say?}
Thank you Snow. Could both macros be re-united or wouldn't it work at all ? Something like : /w ?{Whisper|gm|@{selected|character_name}} ?{What would you like to say?} Would that work ? I haven't tried yet...
Ya it should work.
Denis said: Thank you Snow. Could both macros be re-united or wouldn't it work at all ? Something like : /w ?{Whisper|gm|@{selected|character_name}} ?{What would you like to say?} Would that work ? I haven't tried yet... It Kindda works but only if you select a character. You then have the choice between the GM or the selected, but if no caracter is selected then it doesn't work... May be is there a solution to bypass the character selection in the query if no character is selected... Tha'ts way over my macro-writing ability. Thank you anyway
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The target solution above doesn't work?
It does, but there's only one issue on that : If tehre's no NPC or monster or anything on the table, then the DM has to create a dm token, and carry it around the map to always have it close to the players so they can target it. ANother solution would be to be able to target at the bottom-page avatars... but i don't know if that's possible
Lionel V. said: Denis said: Thank you Snow. Could both macros be re-united or wouldn't it work at all ? Something like : /w ?{Whisper|gm|@{selected|character_name}} ?{What would you like to say?} Would that work ? I haven't tried yet... It Kindda works but only if you select a character. You then have the choice between the GM or the selected, but if no caracter is selected then it doesn't work... May be is there a solution to bypass the character selection in the query if no character is selected... Tha'ts way over my macro-writing ability. Thank you anyway You are running into the Order of Operations issue.  Attribute calls (@{ }) are resolved before queries (?{ }). If an attribute call fails (if the referenced attribute doesn't exist) then the entire line will fail. So if you include an @{selected} call and there's no token selected, it's not going to work. You could use  /w ?{Whisper|@{selected|character_name}} ?{What would you like to say?}  and because the query only has a single input listed, the currently selected character will be provided in an input box, and can be replaced by anything else (including 'gm').  This would still require a token to be selected. If you want to allow for no token to be selected, then you can't have an @{selected} call, and using Snow's example above listing all player names will be your best option.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Jarren K. said: You could use  /w ?{Whisper|@{selected|character_name}} ?{What would you like to say?}  and because the query only has a single input listed, the currently selected character will be provided in an input box, and can be replaced by anything else (including 'gm').  This would still require a token to be selected. I like that. I'd still suggest trying to put the query in quotes to catch "Bob Smith" as well as "Bob".
You could use  /w ?{Whisper|@{selected|character_name}} ?{What would you like to say?}  and because the query only has a single input listed, the currently selected character will be provided in an input box, and can be replaced by anything else (including 'gm').  This would still require a token to be selected. Yeah that works. Thanks for all you guys' help. It could be good to be able to select the avatar down the screen. I'll try maybe to have that in the suggestions forum. thanks
Lionel V. said: You could use  /w ?{Whisper|@{selected|character_name}} ?{What would you like to say?}  and because the query only has a single input listed, the currently selected character will be provided in an input box, and can be replaced by anything else (including 'gm').  This would still require a token to be selected. Yeah that works. Thanks for all you guys' help. It could be good to be able to select the avatar down the screen. I'll try maybe to have that in the suggestions forum. thanks Except that this option only works as dm because you cannot select another character when you're a character lol
Lionel V. said: Except that this option only works as dm because you cannot select another character when you're a character lol Ah right. Then either switch it to a target command like keithcurtis suggested: /w ?{Whisper|@{target|character_name}} ?{What would you like to say?} Or create a dropdown with all the players' names like Snow suggested: /w ?{Whisper|gm|Player1|Player2|Player3|Player4} ?{What would you like to say?} Otherwise I think the only way to get the functionality that you're looking for would require a custom API script (and Roll20 Pro subscription). Good luck!

Edited 1618094753
if all you want to do is allow players to whisper to the GM I use this /w GM ?{Message?} you can also use this and just change the names to the characters in your game /w ?{Whisper|Greystone|Fritz|Franklin|Nadja|Respen|GM} ?{Message} so to the experts is there a way to make the gm a default?