Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Allow Exploding and Penetrating dice to roll a different-sized die on subesquent rolls.

Score + 76
Currently, 1d20!p   rolls 1d20, and then adds another 1d20-1 if the first die rolled a max roll However, in Hackmaster 5th Edition,  and presumably in some other systems or circumstances,  you do not always roll the same-sized die when you explode or penetrate.   In HM5,  max on a 1d20 penetrates uses a 1d6-1,   and 1d100 penetrates using a 1d20. I would like the ability to specify what penetrating die should be rolled, on a max result. Something like 1d20!p(1d6)   in order to specify that on max result, a 1d6-1 should be rolled and added in,  rather than a 1d20-1 1d20!(1d6)  would be the same, except without the -1 on the subsequent rolls.   
I second this!
Agreed!
Thirded!
YES. THIS!
Make this a thing please.
Everyone expressing support in comments, please remember to vote for this as well,  by clicking the blue triangle in the top left, next to "Score +X"
I would also appreciate the feature 
The most difficult scenario is probably an unarmed damage roll: That does (1d4-2)!p + (1d4-2)!p  damage....  and the -2 is supposed to carry over as part of the inherent die,  so if you roll max result,  you're supposed to roll a 1d4-3 as the penetrating die...  unless you're a monk/cleric class, in which case your penetrating die is a 1d4-1. Currently, we can't make the modifier part of the die roll which penetrates or explodes,  and we can't specify that a different die (with or without it's own inherent mods) might be neccessary on the penetrating roll.

Edited 1570637221
I would like to do this for crits & fumbles for my own game I am writing as well. (not HackMaster) Also, can certain rolls trigger secondary macros or such?
D.M. Z. said: I would like to do this for crits & fumbles for my own game I am writing as well. (not HackMaster) Also, can certain rolls trigger secondary macros or such? What do you mean?  Like automatically rolling on a critical hit table, whenever a critical hit is rolled? I think there's already a way to program a character sheet to embed a link to roll on a critical hit table,  which link would only show if and when you roll a critical hit....
Ronald H. said: D.M. Z. said: I would like to do this for crits & fumbles for my own game I am writing as well. (not HackMaster) Also, can certain rolls trigger secondary macros or such? What do you mean?  Like automatically rolling on a critical hit table, whenever a critical hit is rolled? I think there's already a way to program a character sheet to embed a link to roll on a critical hit table,  which link would only show if and when you roll a critical hit.... Another table is one thing, but adding the prior die rolled in is another. Maybe I want the today applied against some factor and need the d20 penetrating to a d6? or maybe a d8? If armor points start coming into play as resistance versus crits then I may well want to keep the hit or damage roll, but penetration may not be as severe. I can see uses for this in regards to damage and criticals, thus allowing different things to affect the total rolls and change the odds (maybe I want all damage dice to penetrate to d4's no matter the die rolled). Having options in a popular medium increases my flexibility as a designer
1d8!!p>5 should already roll 1d8, which penetrates on a 5 or greater, and reports the result as a single die roll with a single combined value. The next logical step is the ability to specify a different sized die,  to be rolled on penetration,  and the ability to specify in parenthesis that a die has an inherent modifier to it, which should carry over to any penetrating roll. D.M. Z. said: Ronald H. said: D.M. Z. said: I would like to do this for crits & fumbles for my own game I am writing as well. (not HackMaster) Also, can certain rolls trigger secondary macros or such? What do you mean?  Like automatically rolling on a critical hit table, whenever a critical hit is rolled? I think there's already a way to program a character sheet to embed a link to roll on a critical hit table,  which link would only show if and when you roll a critical hit.... Another table is one thing, but adding the prior die rolled in is another. Maybe I want the today applied against some factor and need the d20 penetrating to a d6? or maybe a d8? If armor points start coming into play as resistance versus crits then I may well want to keep the hit or damage roll, but penetration may not be as severe. I can see uses for this in regards to damage and criticals, thus allowing different things to affect the total rolls and change the odds (maybe I want all damage dice to penetrate to d4's no matter the die rolled). Having options in a popular medium increases my flexibility as a designer
Yes please
Yes!
This feature would be helpful for me, thanks.
It looks like there MIGHT be a really painful way to do this manually, from a character sheet, using helper functions to check every possible value of any given roll....  but that would require you to supress the initial roll.... Does that sound plausible to anyone else?
That sounds good to me.  Plan on running HM5 soon.
PLZ.
Yes please we need the ability to explode dice correctly for the hackmaster rules. 
Seconded.
I’m playing two different Hackmaster adventure, maybe with the possibility of future crossover. We need that! Thanks a lot.
Much needed.
I'm hoping to start playing Hackmaster soon, and this would be great.
well, there MIGHT be a way to a CRUDE APPROXIMATION of this using weighted rollable tables... Or, if you're a pro-subscriber,  there's an API called RecursiveTable  which allows a better approximation of this using advanced rollable tables.... But in order to make this work for the baseline character sheet,  for new or inexperienced GM's,  we still REALLY need this feature as part of standard programmable rolls.
I voted for this
This would help the Hackmaster play so much!!
This would be very, very appreciated!!
I agree we need it
still recruiting people to upvote this.  every few months, more Hackmaster players join roll20.
I agree
Agreed
Agreed and voted.
Yes please.  
This NEEDS to happen
This would be very nice to have for all us Hackmaster GMs and players.
This would be incredibly helpful
Upvote!
Upvote please