Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[WIP] [OC] The start of my very Niche Portrait Packs

Alyssa R.
Marketplace Creator
Sorry for the watermarks all over this. I was trying to post on FB and Reddit to see if I could get some feedback in regards to portrait tokens. I heckin' think I'm working myself up and overthinking it with the static I regularly get. I really hope these will get accepted into the marketplace once these are all done, I feel like I'm doing them wrong. Any advice?  I feel like I'm biting myself in the butt for giving everything it's unique token color, we'll see if that becomes problematic in the future.
Wordforger
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Are you doing 25 unique drawings+recolors, or 25 tokens period?  If it's the former, I'd personally consider it a pretty good deal.  If the latter, it would probably still line up with the market, just won't pop out as a MUST HAVE.  Still, your art is on point, so I'd certainly at least give it a look either way.  My suggestion would be to go through the market, look out how many unique drawings vs. recolors went into the pack and what they were charging for it.  That should help to get you an idea of where you can set your price point.
Gold
Forum Champion
I think the art looks good. Love the ears/appendages that stick out beyond Pog circle tokens, giving it some shape and some 3d. There's a chef-hat character in your sample art? Try to put TAGS on your Roll20 Marketplace items, so people looking for a Goblin Chef / Meat Cleaver, can find ones like that. Those unique or lesser-seen niche roles should attract some sales from GM's who need such a role.
Alyssa R.
Marketplace Creator
Wordforger said: Are you doing 25 unique drawings+recolors, or 25 tokens period? 25 unique tokens and 3 variations for each one. I want the alternatives to look nice too so I'm not just changing the hair and skin color, but also clothing,lighting and border just for each one to stand on its own.  The closest 'style' to what I'm making there's oneli one other artist charging $8? I think with no variations...idk how many they sell..I'm contemplating $6 just because I feel like it's specific and I'm putting a lot of thought and time into these and it's just myself working on these.  I just worry because these are cartoony, I'm working with a double edged sword where's I think it can stand out and know it has potential but I got some follow up response people only want stuff that fits in the style of the rest of the compendium. So who knows! I'll certainly let people know how it goes once everything is said and done
Alyssa R.
Marketplace Creator
Gold said: ...ry to put TAGS on your Roll20 Marketplace items, so people looking for a Goblin Chef / Meat Cleaver, can find ones like that. Those unique or lesser-seen niche roles should attract some sales from GM's who need such a role. Do you know if there's a tag limit? I don't recall seeing one and I'm not far enough in the process as of yet to start preparing files

Edited 1617803723
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
In terms of style, I'm generally less concerned with it matching the compendium and more concerned with it matching my campaign aesthetic.  These might fit one campaign and not another for me. Something else I wish people would do is provide the image without no token border, because I tend to like using a consistent border for my games as well. So, I have a set of token borders that I use depending on the game and I use them for all my monsters, etc.  If I had images I could take and slap my own border on that would be my preferred. That said, those are cool borders...and I'd be will to purchase a set of just borders...
Wordforger
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Alyssa R. said: Gold said: ...ry to put TAGS on your Roll20 Marketplace items, so people looking for a Goblin Chef / Meat Cleaver, can find ones like that. Those unique or lesser-seen niche roles should attract some sales from GM's who need such a role. Do you know if there's a tag limit? I don't recall seeing one and I'm not far enough in the process as of yet to start preparing files I want to say it's 3 per item, but I could be wrong.  I try to come up with multiples and spread them across my variants.
Tiffany M.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Yeah, it's "three tags" but your tag can always have more than one word in it. Like "goblin tokens,monster chef, meat cleaver wielding cook" would be 3 tags and it's fine. Format your file names like so: Goblin Chef[portrait goblins,monster tokens,meat cleaver weapon].png and it will automatically add the tags when you upload.
Tiffany your work is always great, and not just blowin smoke here, i say it from experience!
Tiffany M.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
dwain K. said: Tiffany your work is always great, and not just blowin smoke here, i say it from experience! Thank you, Dwain, but it's Alyssa who's asking for feedback / praise on artwork, not me. :)
They look super cute. I think I would be actually tempted to get them. Fair point about the style not matching every game though. Still, pretty sure there would be also games for which those would be perfect.
Alyssa R.
Marketplace Creator
Finderski said: In terms of style, I'm generally less concerned with it matching the compendium and more concerned with it matching my campaign aesthetic.  These might fit one campaign and not another for me. Something else I wish people would do is provide the image without no token border, because I tend to like using a consistent border for my games as well. So, I have a set of token borders that I use depending on the game and I use them for all my monsters, etc.  If I had images I could take and slap my own border on that would be my preferred. That said, those are cool borders...and I'd be will to purchase a set of just borders.I' I'll have to see if I can finagle something for just portraits, I didn't format my gobos for it or without the borders. I'll def do that in the future!
Alyssa R.
Marketplace Creator
Tiffany M. said: Yeah, it's "three tags" but your tag can always have more than one word in it. Like "goblin tokens,monster chef, meat cleaver wielding cook" would be 3 tags and it's fine. Format your file names like so: Goblin Chef[portrait goblins,monster tokens,meat cleaver weapon].png and it will automatically add the tags when you upload. OH Thank you! I will do that once everything is done. I have less than half to still make. These are more time consuming than I thought lol
Tiffany M.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Alyssa R. said: OH Thank you! I will do that once everything is done. I have less than half to still make. These are more time consuming than I thought lol I strongly recommend doing this as you save them, to save time you can click on a token you already named, and then just change out what you don't want to keep. And yes, it's blisteringly time consuming, especially when you do 5 color variations for each pose like I do, LOL. I can see why you might only want to do three. That said, there is a trick to doing color variations. Make all of the tokens poses first and do it on the same page, then, color them with the exact same color pallet, then you can copy the entire set, and recolor it with the fill tool set to NOT be the default of "apply to connected pixels only", this will let you more rapidly reskin.