Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

UDL: How to let player see token or drawing outside visible range?

Let's say a player's character has some ability to detect a creature beyond its sight - hearing, psychic, etc. With UDL is there a way for me to make that graphic appear on the player's screen, ignoring all the normal UDL checks? I thought about giving the player ownership of the token just to see it, but then if I moved the token, I wouldn't want areas "explored" for the player.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Use a  Light Crumb ? Give it a tiny light radius and set the control to that player only. You could lock it in place with an API like Token-lock and keep it on the GM layer until you are ready.
Thanks for pointing me to light crumb. That's a good technique for many situations. In this situation, I may want to move the token but not have it leave areas explored for the players which they haven't been to yet (we use UDL Explorer Mode). Maybe if the token is owned by the player but doesn't have any vision enabled, it won't "explore". And I think the player can still see just their token even if vision is not enabled on it? Going to check that later.
I found that this works...give the player control of the token, enable token vision in UDL, but don't give it a night vision or light radius. The player can see just the token out in the darkness beyond their character token. And then if the token is moved by either of us, it does not reveal explorable darkness.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Nice!