Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Still can't see other players' character sheets

I just ran into this issue, trying to set up a campaign for some friends.  Looking through Google results, it appears that this has been a known issue for several years on Roll20: apparently, even if a character sheet is set to be visible to a player or to All Players, they can't actually see the character sheet portion without also having edit rights! This is obviously absurd, and has been reported as a bug multiple times over the years, but all I can find are old issues discussing it, with everyone generally agreeing that this is absurd and obviously a bug.  Has any progress been made on fixing it?  This isn't something that should take 6+ years to fix...
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It's not a bug, despite some folks apparently reporting it as such. View rights gives access to viewing Bio page. Edit rights gives access to editing the sheet. Those are two very different things. A GM may want to give players the ability to read an NPC's bio and image, for instance, but restrict them from seeing the mechanics. It's a design decision. If you would like to petition to change that decision, or add a new category, that falls into the territory of the Suggestion forum.
The entire character sheet comes as one indivisible item.  If the GM sets rights to view that item, it's a violation of POLA  for them to not end up able to view the entirety of that indivisible item.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You may view it as one indivisible item, but many games use no character sheet. Character sheets were added to character journals several years ago as basically a graphical overlay to the attributes and abilities tab. I have about a dozen utility sheets in any game that only use those tabs for automation purposes, and the character sheet is unnecessary. You can bring that up in a  Help Center Request  or in the Suggestion forum, but it's not a bug.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Mason W. said: This is obviously absurd, and has been reported as a bug multiple times over the years, but all I can find are old issues discussing it, with everyone generally agreeing that this is absurd and obviously a bug. As Keith said, this is not a bug.  There is a suggestion to allow people to view the character sheet without being able to edit.  However, there are some technical problems with that suggestion, so I wouldn't hold my breath for it to be implemented. 1.  You have to be able to be able to change values on the sheet to be able to change tabs, expand collapsing areas, etc. on some sheets.  So that means you can't navigate the sheet without being able to change values.  There is no difference between changing the value for a tab and changing the value for health, strength or the color of the character's eyes.  If you change the designation for values to include some flag to split edit/view permissions, then all of the sheets need to be altered to accommodate that change.  The vast majority of the 800+ (900+?) sheets available on Roll20 are community created and edited.  This means that some of them are under active development, some of them at least have the original author or someone willing to make changes, and some are unsupported unless someone decided to make the changes. 2.  Sheets are automated mostly with javascript sheetworkers.  You can't cut off someone needing to view the sheet from interacting with the sheetworkers and action buttons (that trigger sheetworkers to work) because some sheets also use sheetworkers to change tabs and alter the sheet layout. Basically, not only is this not a bug, it isn't really something that is that simple to make happen either.