Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

html view vs js view when downloading scripts

After downloading the group-initiative from the library, I only saw an html help/tutorial page, and the script was only partially working. After deleting that script, and a handful of others, I downloaded the script again, and this time I could see the java script code. After playing with it for a while, I downloaded it to my real campaign, but once again I could only see the tutorial page. No matter what I tried, I could not get it to show me the js code, so eventually I removed the script and did a copy paste of the js code from my test game to my real game. What's going on? What determines if you see the js or the html?
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Are you installing it from the 1-click?  Doing Add Script or Import ? When you say "partially working", what do you mean?
timmaugh
Pro
API Scripter
Here is a discussion of the different ways you get scripts, with a quick mention of why you see the JS (or not)...
Thanks timmaugh! I didn't really even notice there were two buttons there! I just changed to pro, and am stumbling through it little by little.  :D
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
If you continue having issues with GroupInitiative, definitely let me know.
@The Aaron: Will do - I really don't think I even used it correctly, but I wanted to get to the .js because I did not know any other way to change the variable used to add to the roll. I can tell there is a supposed to be a way through chat commands, I just couldn't find it. I am also not sure, but I think I had another script that was interfering with it, as at first nothing was happening when I selected the buttons that appeared in the chat. After deleting a few other scripts I had written, and reinstalling group-initiative it started working. PS - I am not a developer, but I play one on TV Roll20.
timmaugh
Pro
API Scripter
Can you be more specific about what you were trying to achieve, and what you needed to change?
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Ah.  There is a Handout created called GroupInitiative that has full instructions for the script.  You can also run: !group-init --help to get the same thing in chat. The configuration process is a bit esoteric (it predates Character Sheets, so there is a bit of strangeness...).  What variable do you want to add?  What character sheet are you using?
I am using the roll20 Pathfinder sheet. I went about this oddly, but it worked. I first ran the commands I found online for the pathfinder community sheet, then I ran the help command's in chat button to use the d&d 5e settings. Then I went to the js script and found the attribute:initiative_bonus  and changed it to attribute:initiative That combination made it work like my players are used to. With out running the pathfinder commands, it added the initiative score in again as a decimal which I thought was a neat way to order ties, but decided to keep it the way my players are used to.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Ah.  For future reference you could do that with: !group-init --del-group 1 !group-init --add-group --bare initiative You shouldn't need to edit any of my scripts to make them work, though this one definitely has some arcane syntax.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Yeah if more people would share their setups for other popular sheets in the same way I did with the stargate sheet, GroupInit could have preset alternatives for more sheets, and people wouldn't need to keep reinventing the wheel...