Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Option to add all Cleric spells in D&D5e character sheet from Charactermancer

As a DM I find it time-consuming to individually drag all of the spells available to my clerics into their character sheets after they've 'chosen' spells in the Charactermancer.  Since clerics have access to all of their spells and can choose among them each game day, it's incredibly frustrating that we have to do this manual operation over and over.  I saw a note in a closed thread that said this is due to spells being resource-consuming, but that doesn't seem like a good enough answer.  Perhaps add an option for the player to choose to add all of their cleric/paladin spells when creating the character and during level-up?  Otherwise, it's a lot of unnecessary work on the other end. Thank you for your support.
+1. I'm agreeing, because I've done a few of these characters now....it's horrible manually adding all spells for even a mid-level Cleric. Unfortunately it seems like this Suggestion isn't going to get enough momentum to cross the minimum threshold before it gets closed.  :-(
Thanks, Anthony!  I am not sure how all of this works in terms of getting noticed, and I'm sure it's far down the list, but it would be nice if others who've had trouble with this (players and DMs alike!) would surface this.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
The problem is that if you do this with a level or 2, it probably won't cause any trouble.  But the amount of attributes the sheet is storing increases pretty much exponentially with spells (for this sheet is up near 20 attributes per spell).  You are likely (with a high level character) to cause extreme sheet lag and possibly even cause it to become unusable if you add every possible spell.  Do this with enough sheets and it can affect a game instead of just a singular sheet. The more spell options you have unlocked in the compendium, the faster this will become a problem.  If you don't have problems with this, even at high levels, then count yourself lucky! Basically, it is intentional that this isn't automated at this time.  If you do find yourself starting to have trouble with sheets, then back off on the spells to ones that actually get used, and drag situational spells onto the sheet only when needed. I'm not sure what would have to change to make this sort of thing possible.  I've seen similar advice (don't add all spells) on Foundry, so it seems to be some computational/structural limitation that is shared across platforms.
"drag situational spells onto the sheet only when needed" would delay time in-game as the GM who runs multiple games exits the game to unshare compendium with other games, share compendium with the current game, the player or GM then goes through the available cleric spells to determine the situational spells required for that game day after a long rest. This is not a solution. It's simply a work-around that puts the onus on a GM and a player to eat up game time for something that seems broken in the back end.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Ajax DM said: It's simply a work-around that puts the onus on a GM and a player to eat up game time for something that seems broken in the back end. It could be.  But if that is something that exists on multiple platforms, then it is less likely to be a bug and more likely to be a limitation of some sort.  Possibly a browser limitation, or maybe something else that is likely to be outside the scope of what Roll20 (or any VTT) can correct because it is structural.  I really don't care how you view it, I was just trying to give you info on why this is the way it is.  You can adjust the way you handle spells or not.  Totally up to you.
I agree with Ajax. The thing is VTT's like Foundry allow you to make a dozen or so, level 20 Clerics, put ALL of the available spells in the character sheet, be able to filter by Prepared, Action, Bonus, Reaction, Concentration, Ritual - All within the sheet.  And it has ZERO effect on the game play - no delays or lag at all. So there maybe work arounds, like there are for many things in roll20 (there is a whole forum specifically for funky workarounds), but they all detract from the actual game and we end up spending more time sorting out work arounds than actually prepping for games.....
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Marcel said: I agree with Ajax. The thing is VTT's like Foundry allow you to make a dozen or so, level 20 Clerics, put ALL of the available spells in the character sheet, be able to filter by Prepared, Action, Bonus, Reaction, Concentration, Ritual - All within the sheet.  And it has ZERO effect on the game play - no delays or lag at all. Maybe there is some difference between 5E and Pathfinder, but the folks on the Foundry discord pf1e channel seem to disagree with you:
I play 5e so cant comment on the PF.  I admit I should have been more specific.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .