Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Gorefest Dungeon

Edited 1414083503
Welcome Greetings and welcome to GURPS Dungeon Fantasy: Gorefest Dungeon! Gorefest Dungeon is an old-school hack-and-slash dungeon crawl designed for three to five players and filled with lots of monsters, traps, puzzles and loot. Three to five players are requested. We'll meet every Friday at 5 p.m., CDT . New players are welcome , but characters should preferably be built in advance of game day, so contact me if help is needed; I've taught several people how to play GURPS. My e-mail address is <a href="mailto:GURPSDF@gmail.com" rel="nofollow">GURPSDF@gmail.com</a> Last year, I started a super-secret GURPS blog and have been slowly developing it, designing dungeons, monsters, traps and treasure, commissioning illustrations and maps, and writing reviews of RPG products and such. I'd like to feature our sessions on that blog as well. Character Creation Please use only the Basic Set, Magic, and DF 1-7 with DF 8 and DF 13 for equipment. We can use DF 11 for later advancement, but not generation, please. Please do not use other sources, including Pyramid or other DF or GURPS books such as Low Tech or Martial Arts . However, we will use the extended combat options from Martial Arts in game play. Characters can be created with the standard 250 point budget with a -50/-5-point disadvantage limit. Please follow the templates to the letter. If choosing a racial template from DF3 , please make certain there's enough points in the character template. See the Affording Racial Templates section of DF3 . You may follow the Skimping rules if needed. Please try not to create super munchkins to astound the most experienced GURPS scholar as I'm trying to balance combat encounters, so incredibly clever (or terrible) builds won't help me. We don't need any trip/dodge/parry/throw/stun monkey builds. We need a Knight, a Wizard, a Scout, and a Cleric. So, don't make a character that isn't a Knight, Wizard, Scout or Cleric until those positions have been filled. Thanks for reading and I hope to see you in the Gorefest Dungeon!
Welcome to Gorefest Dungeon With every good game, you always want some good threads to read as well as pertinent information on various mechanics of the game. This game itself has some interesting window dressing that everyone should read. Click Here for Dressing (Probably not Bleu Cheese) Characters Starting with the currently living characters and their Character Sheets: Chris D. as&nbsp; Legitimate Hobbes &&nbsp; Culain A Wild Brandon as&nbsp; Rasgar Krix Archie as&nbsp; Ilthmier Tasseldale Luke C. as&nbsp; Captain Kritty Valter as&nbsp; Ulf Mobius Archived characters: Chris D. as Aldric the Knight A Wild Brandon as Rothuk the Barbarian Archie as Enarit the Scout Luke C. as Kritty the Swashbuckler Valter as Ulf the Wizard Good Information As we have played, various bits and pieces of advice have come to light and have been shared around the group. Mostly having to deal with the various vagaries of ranged combat with either bow or spell. For those that wish to rain down ranged death: Choosing the best tool and target. How to make your enemies dine in the shade with multiple attacks per second. For those more inclined with bending the laws of reality over your knee and giving it a good thrashing with a bit of magic, we have this useful post. The best wizard spells for your buck.
Wrote this for the start of our second season of play and consulted with Stripe over it and got the OK a long time ago. I just never got around to posting it until now. These can and will change so please take note every once in awhile. These may also change come Season Three with some possible tightening of rules and usable templates and can be overruled on a case by case basis. So without further ado, the rules for Season Two of Gorefest Dungeon: Welcome to a new season of Gorefest Dungeon. This is going to be a fresh start from the previous season so although to may want to keep your old characters, you may just have to end up either scaling them back to their original 250 point versions, rolling up new characters, or a compromise by possibly respecing your currently characters into a new class (Just as long as they are at the base 250) level. For Character Creation: The good news is that the templates will be opened up. Every template from DF1 is available to be taken. Beyond DF1, there are a few other templates that are possible. • The alternate Barbarians from the recent Denizens book. • The Rogue Template as an alternative to Thief. This template can be found in Pyramid 3-64 on page 9. If you need access to this, just speak to GM Chris D. The racial templates from DF3 are available for use, as previously and the skimping rules are in effect. The 5 points gotten from quirks can be spent on anything within reason as said in DF1. Weapons may be purchased from Low-Tech, Martial Arts, or Basic Set. Armor is to be purchased from Low Tech. If you need help converting your armor, just speak to GM Chris D. The bad news, however, templates from other sources and DF books are off limits. This means that there will be no Sages, Psis, Ninjas, Mystic Knights, Dwarven Demolishers, Justicars, Monster Slavers, or Innkeepers. For Character Advancement: In addition to DF3 and DF11, we will be opening up a few more books for use. • Pyramid 3-61 Way of the Warrior. • Thaumatology - Magicial Styles perks are now open for magic users. Patch Notes: Other than this, there will be a tightening of rules along with some changes to how the game will be run. The major new rules will be listed below: • Appearance Rolls as Loyalty Rolls An optional rule from DF15 on page 28. [quote]An alternative interpretation of lower-than-usual frequencies of appearance is as the odds that the NPC follows orders. In that case, Allies can be given the full range of rolls. Each time the PC issues orders, the roll determines whether the henchman follows them. . . [/quote] • Eating Souls for Fun and Profit. A feature from a Pyramid issue that really helps bring the video game feel to Gorefest Dungeon. Look forward to the effects of this coming into play and hopefully it'll bring a lot of fun with it. • Dots on a Map Fast Travel is coming into play to ensure that the game keeps to an episodic format so that everyone can come and go and have a bit of fun. Warp points are there to bring your characters back to town from a dungeon to help ensure that no one gets left behind, though beware of overloading it as not everything may come with you. • A Full Complement. Already in use lightly by DF2, we will be expanding the usefulness of some skills by allowing them to complement others. • Based on Better Esoteric Medicine. The Healing advantage for purchase by Clerics and Holy Warriors is no longer based off of a flat IQ+Talent roll and is now based off of the Esoteric Medicine skill + Talent making it a cheaper advantage to advance. In addition there are a few new kits and flavours for Esoteric Medicine hailing from Fantasy-Tech p. 31-32. Don't worry if you don't have it, it's pretty much just flavour/if you need in town healing. • Azzalum A new material has been discovered in the Gorefest World after the most recent patch. This material comes from Fantasy Tech p.27 and it costs only +5CF. For this price, it grants +1dmg/-1breakage to cutting/impaling weapons, or it grants +1 DR to metal armor. For any other metal item, it gives +1 for HT rolls and +25% HP. Take note that it is incompatible with any other material modifier for items with the exception of Silver Coated, so if you're hoping for a Orichalcum Azzalum Axe, you're pretty much out of luck. • The Guild Hall. Every player is free to create up to a max of three characters. They may decide upon which character they feel they wish to use at the start of each adventure but cannot switch them out in the middle of play. To qualify for this you must have your characters posted on the forums. Any character points gained during the session will go to the characters that have been played and not the players. The only exception is the 5cp from Dungeon Completion, each character in your posted pool gains that. Keep in mind that while you may get the 5 points, you still need to use the training costs in Dungeon Fantasy 3 to actually learn something with them.
Found the mission statement on an old google cache for the original LFG thread: Three to five players are requested. We'll meet every Saturday at 6 p.m., CST. New players are welcome , but characters must be built in advance of game day, so contact me if help is needed; I've taught several people how to play GURPS. My e-mail address is <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1026202/gorefest-dungeon#post-1026202" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1026202/gorefest-dungeon#post-1026202</a> Behind having fun, my secondary goal for running this game is to further my ability to balance combat encounters for a generic, standard Dungeon Fantasy party of three to five player characters. In that regard, the game will be a plain hack-and-slash dungeon with very little role playing, almost no background story or creative descriptions, and really very little rhyme or reason for monster population. However, there will be plenty of traps and puzzels, so it's not quite pure combat. Take advice from some of my former players: a well-rounded party will be absolutely necessary for survival. I design each dungeon floor—and almost every room—to contain challenges for most character templates. A Knight's sword arm will get a workout as will a Scout's bowstring, but without someone to keep a lookout for traps or without a magic user or healer, the party isn't going to get far . . . Maybe not even past the first room. This is the 1986 Ghosts 'n Goblins game for the original Nintendo Entertainment System in tabletop RPG form. As one player described it, and I quote, "Ultimate f***ing challenge while having a heart attack." First room of the original killed one PC and had another at 0 of fewer HP—even the Wizard was injured, not to mention at 1 FP. Again, that's the first room. In another area, crushing walls set a "time limit" of sorts while three skeleton archers and an undead mage guarded the lone doorway on the other end. In between was a pit of opaque, fetid water with some type of squid creature lurking beneath. Welcome to level one of Gorefest Dungeon, ladies and gentlemen.
Gorefest Dungeon's three-prong&nbsp;mission statement:&nbsp; 1. That everyone has&nbsp;fun while playing. 2. That I learn to better create fun, interesting and challenging encounters and scenarios for a standard party of three to five delvers.&nbsp; 3. That we provide an entertaining and informative experience for a wide audience via a webpage, blog or vlog.