Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Need help with using Roll20 for in person game nights

So, I like to use Roll20 for some of the games I run. I use it as a visual aid for the game as in being able to do complex dungeons so I do not have to draw out each room on a smaller mat.  My set up has every player use their own laptop to move their own char. but we still use our own dice and paper sheets. My question is, what can I do to have another display (Maybe a TV) to show an over view of the whole game but have it change to each players POV when using dynamic lighting?  I would like to set it up so when it is their turn the "Over-view" screen will show what they can see. Is that easily done or am I over thinking this?
Hello, you should try the script created by the Aaron called Observer (is in 1-click). There are currently some. Issues with the view not updating when it's a player's turn but I know that the Aaron has put a ticket to alert the dev on the udl broken for the  ision update (again). Hopefully this will be arranged soon because it's an absolute ideal solution and doing exactly what you expect it to do.  I use it quite often too and it really brings a good thing for the group playing.  Let's keep our fingers crossed so the issue will be fixed soon.  Best 
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
There is a lot of good information on playing in person over on the wiki ... take a look there for some tips and tricks but for your general MVP request, Lionel has nailed it, you'd want to use Observer, however, it is worth pointing out that this is an API script which would require that the creator of the game is a Pro subscription holder.
Thank you all for you help. You all have given me a path I can take now to figure out how to make my games even better for my player.
I'am playing face2face with my friends since 4 weeks. My Setup is Laptop and two cheap Displays (1920 * 1080 - around 100,- EUR) and a HDMI-Splitter (doubling an HDMI Signal - only necessary if your Laptop has only one HDMI Output). I've created a second Roll20 Account and gave this "Player"-Account the additional control of the 4 Player-Chars. On the 2 Displays i show the Players what their Chars see on the Map. One Display für the Players, one for me to control what they see. So the Players always see what ALL Player-Chars see. Thats not optimal if the Party splits - but we are professionals, so the player forgets immediately what their Characters could not see :-) The new Dynamic Lighting is really buggy, so sometimes my players see thru blocked doors, etc. I'am using Chrome for my Master-Roll20 DMing, and Firefox for the Player-Screen. So I havent problems with to Accounts in one Browser. The Players playing with their Tablets - not very comfotable due to the loosy support of Tablets by Roll20.So often i have to put their chars were they want to go. But they could see it on the Player-Display and give me advice. We like the Char-Sheets and let Roll20 Doing the whole calculation for Attack/Damage etc. We like also the Mapping and the dynamic Lighting. We dont like that theres no Tablet Support for moving chars on the Map.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Peter S. said: I'am using Chrome for my Master-Roll20 DMing, and Firefox for the Player-Screen. So I havent problems with to Accounts in one Browser. You could use the same browser for both, either by having one of the instances in a private window, or if you use Firefox, you could keep them open in separate containers .
Containers in FF looks nice - i will try that. Thx.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You can also use separate users in Chrome. As for splitting vision, you can try the Observer script (available in the One-Click), which manages observer players, who are given the visiblilty (and control) of all player characters. They are dynamically limited to control of whomever is at the top of the turn order, so the common display shows only what the current character sees.
Lionel V. said: Hello, you should try the script created by the Aaron called Observer (is in 1-click). There are currently some. Issues with the view not updating when it's a player's turn but I know that the Aaron has put a ticket to alert the dev on the udl broken for the  ision update (again). Hopefully this will be arranged soon because it's an absolute ideal solution and doing exactly what you expect it to do.  I use it quite often too and it really brings a good thing for the group playing.  Let's keep our fingers crossed so the issue will be fixed soon.  Best  Except for what I said earlier. The update of the views seems to be broken for the last 2 weeks. Aaron sent a message to devs,, but I had no feedback for the moment :(