Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

[Homepage] User Experience Improvements

Edited 1629821694
Marco G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Hi Roll20 Team, I know you are working on a new Corporate Design / User Experience / however you want to call it. A good example is the marketplace that has been completely overhauled in the past, and I think even more will come. I could not find any post about intended changes to the roll20 homepage in the forums, so I hope you will have a look at my Ideas and think about it. Disclaimer: I am not a UI Designer, these suggestions are my personal taste and shall be guidelines how the UI can be improved. The UI as it is now is not unusable or terrible, but a tool I use almost daily should have a software ergonomy that makes it easier to use.  The welcome Page Currently the welcome page does not offer anything of value to me. And others will probably think the same way.  The welcome page does not need much changes to become an already better version. This suggestions will also factor in a more efficient use of space, like the marketplace already does 1. Move the info about yourself to the same row as the roll20 logo and size it down 2. Move the ads to the very right to gain some space for more important things 2.1 This also makes it possible to have the title in 1 row and move the buttons further to the right 3. Display more games / customizable experience 3.1 With the gained space, we can downsize the game panels a little and can get way more games on the welcome page 3.2 Ideally it does not show the last opened or upcoming games but displays marked favourites or contains a search function Games Menu Bar Displaying the games there as well is redundant and does not give any additonal value. Instead we could display the menu items themselves horizontally Games Page Removing unnecessary UI Elements gives it a cleaner look. And instead  of a wasteful column layout a tile layout fits more games into the same space for a better overview. I hope you like the ideas or get even better ideas with the suggested changes. Cheers, Marco
I would recommend posting a more definitive image of the redesign. The version you suggest creates a very odd break between the menu and the content below. A good redesign is not just the ability to squeeze in as much as possible on the screen, partially because it makes the readability harder (and the page looks less pretty).
Marco G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Jens F. said: I would recommend posting a more definitive image of the redesign. The version you suggest creates a very odd break between the menu and the content below. A good redesign is not just the ability to squeeze in as much as possible on the screen, partially because it makes the readability harder (and the page looks less pretty). Well this was a low-effort ms paint job. If you have a look at the marketplace for example, which has been overhauled already, you see that they use the space more efficiently, even though images and text could be a little smaller for my taste.  The menu items aren't that nice either, but to be frank, I have no better idea apart from removing redundancies.  I don't want 20 items in a single row, but if i can fit more than 3 games on a 24" monitor on 1080p that's already a win for me. The welcome page needs a completely different concept, otherwise you can just jump to "my games" after login and remove it completely.  Movable widgets, customization options, anything else really. At least an added search bar for games would be helpful.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .