Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Ask about avoiding token deletion

Hi, I'm figuring out ways to prevent a person in control of a token from being able to delete it. Example with the delet button Thank you in advance for your comments / macros: P
Gold
Forum Champion
Following! These would be Suggestions: Roll20 make dialog "Are you sure you want to delete that token/object?" Confirm/Cancel. Roll20 make a Game Setting "Players cannot delete tokens/objects: On/Off" There is not a standard macro for this. There could be an API that would un-delete. There could be an API that would report into the Chat whenever something's been deleted. Personlly my habit (since True Page duplication feature came out), is making Backup COPY of each Page in the campign that has tokens. So if someone deletes one, I can get it back by copy-paste from the backup page.
In very large maps that I am designing interactive, I have many invisible tokens that players can enter and use them to read information, if they accidentally delete the token I have to realize.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I have a couple of city maps like that, filled with map pins or NPCs that the players have control over. I periodically duplicate the map, tokens included so there is an immediate backup. If nothing has gone wrong for a while, but the tokens have increased, I delete and make a new backup. You can undo (Cmd/Ctrl-Z) an accidental deletion, but only immediately afterward. I think an API would suffer similar limitations. It might be possible to create a new token that is a virtual duplicate of the old upon deletion. It would definitely have a different token_id. Given the nature of how gmnotes are retrieved though, I suspect it might be impossible to re-create it entirely. Maybe someone with better API chops than me would have a more authoritative answer, though.
If I still do not use gm notes in the icon it is only illustrative to get to the separate notes Thx :/