Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Running the hidden shrine of tamoachan room help

I am running a campaign with the hidden shrine of tamoachan as an adventure. But I have some difficulties how a room works with all the traps and doors and stuff.  If someone can explain room 53 a bit better for me and how it's connected to room 51 I will be very happy. Because they also talk about hidden doors, wheels and stuff but can't figure it out.
Maybe I'm a bit confused but do I start this adventure at room 1 or 54 because I can't find anything about this.
First the only connection between room 51 and 53 is that they are connected by a hallway, one area does not affect the other, just that you have to pass area 51 first to get to 53.  Note: I will use the compass direction as stated in the map Now area 53 is like this, when the party arrive they will see a room with a wheel on the wall and a lever (west wall, drawing that looks like a triangle with a stick in the middle), on the north-east side of the room is the exit trough the stairs, but is block by some gate. If one character goes where the wheel is and turned the gate on the other end of the room start going up, at the same time a pit in front of the wheel will start open. Any character in the area of the trap will fall 30 feet (3d6 damage), if the character on the wheel turn the wheel slowly with a perception check the other characters can figure it out that the floor is opening, and with an acrobatic check they can avoid the pit. The character operating the wheel has a 1 foot ledge after the pit is open so he will stand there. once the gate is completely open and the pit the other character can get out through the stairs but the character on the wheel is trap. If he pull the lever that blocks the wheel in position the pit and the gate will be open, but as he pull the lever a second gate comes from the celling and close the exit. A character can attempt to lift the gate but they need a DC 20 Athletics check. If they are successful, the character on the wheel can cross over the pit using the 6 foot bridge that appears once you activate the lever to lock the wheel. this 6 foot bridge is difficult terrain so his movement cost double (10 feet of movement for each 5 ft.). remember that the area has a check to cross the bridge. The other way of opening the second door the falls is to find the key on area 48. let me know if this clarify a bit. I'm running the same adventure and my players are about to get there. I hope this help
NVM no help needed anymore!
Is up to you to decide where they start  I will suggest to make them camp at the foot of the temple for the night and next they after breakfast and pick the camp up a sink hole occurs where they are and they will get to area 1 start from there. You can also start on  the temple map make them explore the top and find the slab that is loose or they can fall in an explore from top to bottom and then they have to get back out. Is completely up to you. But like I said is more fun to start at the bottom where they need to find their way out.