Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

A query within a query using Macros

Using the queries to house ability macros for a homebrew system, which works perfectly for most sets, but some of them have an ability with option to it. Is there any way to nest a second Array in it? ?{Choose a Violent PewPew's Ability| Ability 1,#AB1 | Ability 2,#AB2 | Ability 3,#AB3 | Ability 4,#AB4 | Ability 5,#AB5 } The main thing I'm interested in, since I know I can't nest the query within a macro and then again. But is there a way to make another query for say, Ability 3 within the main query? Thank you.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
it's possible: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Macro_Guide#Nesting" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Macro_Guide#Nesting</a>
Ah, thank you. I've used the HTML replacement parts before, but I'd recently switched over to using more of the Attribute. I'd remembered reading that they couldn't be put onto the Attributes Calls or Macros, so I was a bit confused as where to continue it at.&nbsp; Basically I've set it up all of the Abilities as Macros, but there's a few Macros that house queries for Abilities that have a few options.&nbsp;
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You cant put queries inside attribute calls, but macros are just like abilities and can have queries inside them. Nesting macros is tricky though - you are usually better extracting the text from the macro and building one mega macro, so you can control the placement of the html entities properly for that macro. Alternatively (a far better solution IMO) use chat menus , so you dont need much if any html entities at all.
Yeah, I've run the gamut before with the text based ones, and they did work fantastically, though the HTML replacement really gets wonky after a bit. They'd ended up so convoluted that my players couldn't fix'em so I did all the macro work. Thanks for the thing on the Chat Menus, that could be very useful yet, if players decide they don't like the buttons on token selection.&nbsp;