Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Text editing is being wonky

Edited 1634864042
If you double click a text box to edit the text, you can no longer leave that mode by clicking away from the text box.  You have to do something like switch to some other tool and back before you're able to move and rotate the text box again.
I am also having this issue, in addition to it sometimes making a sort of 'double vision' sometimes when I go to double click on a text box to edit it.
Just so we are 1000% clear to the dev who looks into this:   If you create a text box, then later on double click it with the select tool to edit it(in otherwords your tool is currently set to select), you can edit the text but clicking away does not save that text and the interface breaks till you change your tool off of select tool or change layers.  Before this bug, clicking away simply saved the changes to the text box and moved on.  Also with this new bug there is a clear graphic change to the text box during the edit and bug that is new so there is something wonky going on for sure code wise.  
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That's a good breakdown of reproducible steps. Whomever is dealing with this issue might want to consider filing a  Help Center Request , where it will be logged, ticketed and assigned. There is no guarantee a dev will see this thread.
Eh,  they’ll just close the ticket and say they forwarded it to the devs.  It’ll then get fixed somewhere between two months from now and never. At least this way you guys see it and can respond to anyone else who is confused by it. But I suppose I’ll go fill out an actual Help Center Request like they want.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It will be logged and ticketed and will go to the developers. What the devs do with the ticket depends on a lot of things, like workload, urgency, and blocking problems. But they won't just "close the ticket and say they forwarded it to the devs". I do admit that backward communication from Dev to customer service to user often breaks down. I have made this complaint before. But I don't want to discourage folks from filing reports. And yeah, there's a lot of value in simultaneously reporting to the forums. Often users find workarounds or manage to pinpoint the exact problem.

Edited 1635202235
Oh for sure.  It'll be logged internally in the void somewhere.  But the customer service end of things will definitely close the help center ticket once they've confirmed this is a bug that requires development work and not just me doing something weird. I understand why they want us to log things that way.  I just wish they could file their own bug reports from their own bug report forum instead of making me spend 15 minutes doing it for things that have like 1 step and aren't especially related to my particular situation.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Understood. They may close the ticket on the customer service end (i.e. tell you that they have reported it to dev and it's out of their hands), but AFAIK, that issue remains an open issue in the dev "to-do" pile. One of the reasons that I so often recommend the Help Center is to try and raise awareness that the bug forum is mostly a user place. A couple of years back, Roll20 realized that the forum was a terrible way to try and track bugs. (no automated tracking, issues often buried in other issues, difficulty in contacting, long divergences, high noise to signal ratio, and a lot of other stuff, I am sure), and started to transition to the Help Center. One of the last misdirects to go was the help button in the in-game toolbar, which continued to direct to this forum for some time into the transition. It correctly goes to the help center now, which will hopefully cut down on "double posting" an issue. I used to think the forum should drop "bug reports" from the title and just be "technical issues", but it is often a good bellwether for when things are rapidly going sideways, like the macro code issue last week.
I don't think they will fix this cause they are already 2 patches past the mistake and it will be a month or more before a dev finds it and sees how small this bug is and will likely write it off as something not worth dedicating time to as its soooo small.  I'd imagine it will likely effect content creators the most as they are the ones who put text fields into maps the most so I'm kinda surprised its the DM's showing up with the bug report.  Ultimately all this bug really does is add 2-3 clicks to a simple process so thats why I think it won't ever get fixed, they have bigger fish to fry.