Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

IPad and Dynamic Lighthing cause game to get stuck forever loading

Hello, I have a player who exclusively uses an iPad to play my game and we've noticed that sometimes when I move the group to a new map she gets stuck with infinite loading text and the page never loads for her. Basically the page just keeps scrolling through different loading messages indefinitely. We were troubleshooting it today, made sure she had the latest version of chrome and safari, didn't change anything. I had a feeling it might be dynamic lighting because she could see my world maps and certain local maps that have dynamic lighting completely disabled. I tried a few things. I converted lighting for one of my maps to the latest version and we still saw infinite loading, so then I enabled legacy lighting, which also led to infinite loading. The only thing that allowed her to load the page was disabling it entirely. I'm not sure if this is a bug, or perhaps one of the devs can offer some suggestions that I may not have tried yet.  Any help is appreciated Thanks, -- DM who loves his dynamic lighting
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I would suggest (in addition to whatever suggestions may come up here) filing a  Help Center Request . Reports to forum are generally not tracked by the dev team, but the help request will create and assign a ticket.
keithcurtis said: I would suggest (in addition to whatever suggestions may come up here) filing a  Help Center Request . Reports to forum are generally not tracked by the dev team, but the help request will create and assign a ticket. Thanks, just did that
Same problem here but support will not help without console logs…which you are not able to get from iPad!
Pupu said: Same problem here but support will not help without console logs…which you are not able to get from iPad! They got back to me and said they don't support tablets anymore and that a recent update broke dynamica lighting. They stopped support in order to focus on getting the tabletop into their upcoming mobile app
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Eric H. said: Pupu said: Same problem here but support will not help without console logs…which you are not able to get from iPad! They got back to me and said they don't support tablets anymore and that a recent update broke dynamica lighting. They stopped support in order to focus on getting the tabletop into their upcoming mobile app There's a lot of things that seem problematic with the answer you got. I've seen nothing about Table on Tablet no longer being supported. And "a recent update broke dynamic lighting" just doesn't sound like customer service-speak. Something's awry here.
Hi all, thank you for bringing this up and apologies for the confusion caused! Roll20 is still supporting Table on Tablet. The confusion here was caused by an internal miscommunication. We are aware of reports that are disproportionately affecting iPad users causing trouble with their games. Our development team is working on possible solutions but we cannot provide an ETA just yet. At present, we can recommend using an Android tablet if one is available as well as trying with an alternate browser to see if the issue persists. If it does, please let our support team know via the webform at Roll20.net/help Eric, you should expect an email from the XP Team requesting additional information to pass along to our team.
I’m not sure if this thread is still active or not, but I thought I’d try to chime in. I noticed this problem last September when Safari 15 was in beta. It also happened on the desktop at that time (iMac Retina 2019, 32GB RAM). It’s since been fixed on Desktop but not on Safari 15.x for iPad. Alas, Chrome on iPad uses the same rendering engine as Safari so that doesn’t help. In addition to a couple of forum posts, I’ve filed a support ticket (#65880 filed on Sept 1, 2021) , but never heard back on it since October. I’ve had to move my Monday night game to Owlbear/DDB because I’m often away on long weekends and have only my iPad to DM with. I’d love to see this fixed. Cheers, Don
I’d love to see this fixed too. I had no issues using iPads until the iOS 15 update, when maps with dynamic lighting would no longer load. The Roll20 map pane just stays black and the loading messages cycle while the map is never displayed. 
It's really a shame that this isn't getting more traction, considering Apple's tablets are more than half the market, and make great laptop replacements (especially for the Pro line) This makes a large reason for the premium sub to Roll20 completely worthless for people using these. Please consider bumping up the priority on this, as I'd love to use my iPad as a DM screen along with the portability of the tablet would make for a good backup tool in specific situations.