Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Area of Effect API for missile (path) spells

Edited 1635151811
Bill
Pro
Currently I have been using the fx functionality to provide some special effects for missile (path) spells, like magic missile, fire bolt and eldritch blast. However, I am impressed by some of the animations on offer in the Marketplace. - Does the Area of Effect API work with animations? If so: &nbsp; &nbsp; - is the Area of Effect API the best approach? &nbsp; &nbsp; - the Marketplace animations often provide different animations for different ranges (e.g.&nbsp; <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/11154/animated-spells-set-vol-1" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/11154/animated-spells-set-vol-1</a>). &nbsp;What is the best way to handle this? Just choose one and let the Area of Effect squash/stretch to the required range? Thanks, Bill
Magic missile has no area of effect nor a beam like effect.&nbsp; It does not miss nor crash into something prematurely.&nbsp; Catapult would be an example of a railgun like projectile and ray spells are an example of 5ft area of effect lines. As for spell effects, on live, during a live session, who on earth can get /fx to behave even remotely reliably?&nbsp; The servers are so overwhelmed that things like /fx get bogged down and typically fire all at once in bursts over time instead of in real time as they should.&nbsp; If you run your session on the dev servers however, they behave pristinely as they should.&nbsp;&nbsp; Animated gifs look awful over the internet at random tables on the production server whether you paid for them or not.&nbsp; Eventually their frames start to skip or they stop all on their own depending on the performance of each pc viewing the gif.&nbsp;&nbsp; The Area of Effect api was really complicated to try to get to work and if I remember right the script did not handle spheres properly in 5e as theres 2 kinds of spheres, origin is the caster and origin is a point in space(this matters immensely for those not realizing this).&nbsp;&nbsp; I made my own setup for managing area of effects by following the youtube video Nick Olivo produced regarding spawndefaulttoken API.&nbsp; You just need to figure out the syntax, download an area effect template for sphere, square, line that doesn't screw up when stretched/resized, then create a macro query system that can handle all 100 options players will use with them.&nbsp;&nbsp; Heres a sample of what I did: (Imagine if they had kept that awful patch last week in place, how much stuff like this would have been just absolutely dead broken lol.)&nbsp; This had substitutes and linebreaks.&nbsp;&nbsp; ~SpellMasterConePanel /w gm &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=Cone Panel}} {{description=[15ft](!&amp;#13;&amp;#37;{SpellMaster|Cone15ft}) [20ft](!&amp;#13;&amp;#37;{SpellMaster|Cone20ft}) [25ft](!&amp;#13;&amp;#37;{SpellMaster|Cone25ft}) [30ft](!&amp;#13;&amp;#37;{SpellMaster|Cone30ft}) [35ft](!&amp;#13;&amp;#37;{SpellMaster|Cone35ft}) [40ft](!&amp;#13;&amp;#37;{SpellMaster|Cone40ft}) [45ft](!&amp;#13;&amp;#37;{SpellMaster|Cone45ft}) [50ft](!&amp;#13;&amp;#37;{SpellMaster|Cone50ft}) [55ft](!&amp;#13;&amp;#37;{SpellMaster|Cone55ft}) [60ft](!&amp;#13;&amp;#37;{SpellMaster|Cone60ft}) [Back](!&amp;#13;&amp;#37;{SpellMaster|SpellMasterPanel}) }} ~Cone15ft !Spawn {{ --name|SpellMaster --qty|1 --size|3,3 --side|1 --order|toBack --tokenName|Cone --isDrawing|yes }}
Thanks DM Eddie for both your advice and the code you provided. It looks like a good option.