Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

New to API in general and Roll20 API specifically, help/advice for integrating with Beyond20 please?

Hey! So I am totally new to this API thing and haven't done any code related ANYTHING in 10 years or more. Can anyone help me out with understanding if any of the existing APIs already work with data sent from Beyond20 and if not, how hard is it to make that integration work?
I am not aware of any API's that do anything specifically with what Beyond20 is doing.&nbsp; Is there something in particular you are wanting to do?&nbsp; That might help identify some API's to look into. You also might want to check out this thread for recommended API's people use. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10374311/5e-must-have-macros-apis-addons-etc" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10374311/5e-must-have-macros-apis-addons-etc</a>
APIs will work with Beyond20 out of the box. There’s not too much integration that is required, but some examples are Aura/Tint Healthcolors, or any that have roll listeners (such as Concentration) etc. Beyond20 is just posting chat messages, so there’s nothing else that’s needed from APIs.&nbsp; Did you have anything in mind?
Jarren, you mention an interaction between aura health and beyond20. I noticed since adding the API that beyond20 no longer changes the HP on my players. Is this the problem you had? We’re you able to fix it? Thank you in advance!
Honestly I'm not sure exactly how the integration works between Roll20, D&amp;D Beyond, and Beyond20 with regards to API scripts.&nbsp; I was told by the Beyond20 creator that as far as how Beyond20 works in Roll20, it simply posts chat messages... but since it automatically updates hit points, that means there is some kind of javascript functionality (because chat messages can't update token settings without the API).&nbsp; What I've noticed is that Aura/Tint Healthcolors can be fairly system intensive, because it is basically monitoring all the tokens for any changes to their bar values, and then adjusting their auras/tints based on a computation of the percentage out of the max value for the linked attribute, and applying special effects on top of that.&nbsp; What I've noticed is there is often a significant delay to those things processing, especially if there are a lot of tokens on the page. I modified the Aura/Tint Healthcolors quite a bit to remove several of the functions - I only use one aura, I changed the 'death' effect, and I think a couple other minor things that I can't remember.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Although some folks love it, I have seen more problems from Aura/Tint Health Colors than any other script. Frankly, it tries to do too much. I applaud the reduction you are doing, Jarren. If the script is not still under development by the original author, have you considered updating it to make a lot of that extra stuff more optional?
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
Not to go too far down a Aura/Tint Health Colors (ATHC) rabbit hole, but just in case there is interest here's my one-off version that only affects aura 2, registers the SmartAoE script to it, and only forces the global token processing on a menu/config change if the aura setting is ON. It's my understanding that for proper Beyond20/ATHC interaction, Beyond20 would need a public-facing function that notifies other scripts of token changes (like linked bar values), *and* ATHC would have to register that function explicitly. Token-mod has a good example of that (which I stole pretty much verbatim for SmartAoE). DXWarlock last posted on the forums about a year ago, so not sure of their current status.