Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Can we add support for WebP files please

Score + 269
I did ask at the Q&A about this but the question was not answered. It would be nice to get an answer to this even if that answer is their current architecture cant support the format. There are many animated maps that I want to use but can't make them under the 10mb upload limit Webp could be a solution; it also opens up the possibility for more animated assets on the marketplace.
Stephen C.
Pro
Sheet Author
Ross said: It looks like it supports webp now?  Edit: I can drag and drop a webp file from windows explorer and it will show up fine, but I can't do the same from roll20 library... so thats weird.  It has limited functionality, so I would still consider it unsupported. Even if it works for some purposes.

Edited 1672953460
Ashton
Forum Champion
Compendium Curator
Moving this suggestion over to the "Queued" status. We've already completed the first section of work here (webp files working from the in-VTT art library) as of today and will be adding support for animated webp files soon.
Ashton said: Moving this suggestion over to the "Queued" status. We've already completed the first section of work here (webp files working from the in-VTT art library) as of today and will be adding support for animated webp files soon. Thank you so much for the update and for adding this to the Queued section
Stephen C.
Pro
Sheet Author
Hallelujah, what a time to be alive! Now I wish that I hadn't just converted over a hundred webp files to png and uploaded them.
Excellent cant wait for this. Will save so much time and storage! I hope performance improves too. Hope its not a long wait. Thanks 
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
Hmm, I wonder if webp animations will interact with mod scripts any better than current animations? Currently, using createObj on an animated graphic object gives undesirable and unpredictable results (doesn't play, or only plays once and stops, etc.).
+1
Essen
Pro
Marketplace Creator
It's weird that webm is supported and not webp. Hopefully it gets integrated soon. 
Essen said: It's weird that webm is supported and not webp. Hopefully it gets integrated soon.  I find WebM is sudo supported. 9 in 10 animated WebM files I upload just don't work or they might randomly start working 2 months later. I don't know if this is due to some weird encoding they have on their end. I experimented with different codecs and file sizes but can't seem to draw any conclusions as to make WebM's work.  
Hey Folks, I'm Andrew Searles and I'm taking over for Ashton on the VTT team. First, I'd like to say that I'm sorry you haven't heard back from someone on animated webp images for a few months. Second, I'd like to say that we're currently stuck on this. As you have seen, .webp images are supported but animations are still not really. This is because it is not currently supported in one of the libraries that we use. Here is the ticket that we have been watching for them to support this.&nbsp; <a href="https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/4907" rel="nofollow">https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/4907</a> . Once they have support for this, we will add it soon after. Thanks!
+1
+1 : less load and b/w is better for the user and the planet !
Hadn't checked my notifications for months. OMG we did it guys. thank you everyone, and thank you roll20 for implementing this.
+1 for animated webp. Animated battlemaps would be so awesome!
+1. While I can drag webp images down onto the mat, embedding images in the chat window still does not support Webp.
+1 for an update :) cmon Roll20 I really don't want to switch platforms over this T_T
Riley D said the following when i asked in a Q&amp;A " We have a long-term plan to change how processing uploads works for all file types that would fix this issue. Being fully transparent, I don't have a timeline on when that work is going to happen. But it is an issue we are aware of an have a plan to fix it just needs bandwidth to get it done."&nbsp;&nbsp; So its safe to say this will be addressed but there currently is a no timeline on it.&nbsp;
So is this not going anywhere?&nbsp; This might be what finally motivates me to move to one of the more modern VTTs.
Mike C. said: So is this not going anywhere?&nbsp; This might be what finally motivates me to move to one of the more modern VTTs. I believe something is in the works ive been told that they were looking into improving the encoder and we just got the news of project jumpgate so hopefully this will be tackled with that.&nbsp;
+1 still need this really badly
+1