Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

The new setting ui SUCKS

Score + 19
it's very hard having to click on every little thing to open every setting to see what im looking for , when i open one setting the other closes and you get lost in where the setting you were looking for is! please let all the tabs open out fully!
And while at it place the "Exit Game" and "Re-Join as Player / GM" at the top! THX.
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Yes, that would really be an improvement!
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
TheMarkus1204 said: And while at it place the "Exit Game" and "Re-Join as Player / GM" at the top! THX. This is the biggest thing, for me...
Gold
Forum Champion
I would also prefer "Exit Game" moved back to the top, especially if Roll20 stands-by the idea that it is better to "Exit Game" than to just close the browser window.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I don't mind exit being on the bottom, but would prefer all sections were collapsed by default.
I think having the master audio slider immediately accessible at the top (like it used to be) is ideal. You tend to want to adjust your music volume on the fly.
I-O said: I think having the master audio slider immediately accessible at the top (like it used to be) is ideal. You tend to want to adjust your music volume on the fly. Exactly. Things I do first in every new campaign: Change Display Name, Change Audio, Avatar Size and Broadcast Settings! As GM when preparing something I want to test before playing I need to switch a lot between Player <> GM. Having the Buttons all the way down there at the bottom (and having to scroll depending on which settings are currently opened) is annoying as hell!
yeah, we need a better settings ui and design! the new one we have right now is very inconvenient
What I noticed just recently: Why is the underscore ( _ ) there? (Happens for the Join / Re-Join Button as well!)

Edited 1644252076
Full disclosure, nobody asked for this feature in the suggestions forum, and it didn’t fix any problems. So WHY did the Devs waste their time on this when they could have set up folders or alphabetization in the collection tab?
Kraynic said: I don't mind exit being on the bottom, but would prefer all sections were collapsed by default. Thing is, depending on which group is opened you have to scroll down to see those buttons as their position is not fix at the bottom...

Edited 1644332271
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
TheMarkus1204 said: Kraynic said: I don't mind exit being on the bottom, but would prefer all sections were collapsed by default. Thing is, depending on which group is opened you have to scroll down to see those buttons as their position is not fix at the bottom... That is part of my point.  It is extremely rare that I need to access anything in settings other than possibly the transmogrifier after the first few minutes of the first session in a game.  Right now, the first section is always expanded by default, which pushes the rejoin as player (if you are GM) and exit buttons off the screen.  If everything was collapsed by default, it wouldn't do that.  If they were all collapsed, the settings tab would look pretty clean each time you open it, with just buttons and section titles showing.
David
Sheet Author
Gargamond said: Full disclosure, nobody asked for this feature in the suggestions forum, and it didn’t fix any problems. So WHY did the Devs waste their time on this when they could have set up folders or alphabetization in the collection tab? Mobile

Edited 1644349219
David said: Gargamond said: Full disclosure, nobody asked for this feature in the suggestions forum, and it didn’t fix any problems. So WHY did the Devs waste their time on this when they could have set up folders or alphabetization in the collection tab? Mobile Fk mobile. My PC is not a mobile device, make an option to select mobile interface or classic. I want to see the stats on mobile players trying to move tokens around on their phone I agree, 100% the new user interface sucks!
Another Thread that covers basically the same topic:&nbsp;<a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10644311/settings-menu-suggestion-to-improve/?pageforid=10683238#post-10683238" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10644311/settings-menu-suggestion-to-improve/?pageforid=10683238#post-10683238</a>
But yeah, you don't have to make a new interface , it sucks a lot more now with the nested settings
And one more thing: The MISC Group is always there, BUT as a player, it is ALWAYS empty... it is only relevant if you are DM / GM and if you have a Pro Subscription... The reason for this is not clear to me... It was like the Developers just wanted to change something and have not put a single thought into it...
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
TheMarkus1204 said: And one more thing: The MISC Group is always there, BUT as a player, it is ALWAYS empty... it is only relevant if you are DM / GM and if you have a Pro Subscription... The reason for this is not clear to me... It was like the Developers just wanted to change something and have not put a single thought into it... The DM/GM part is true.&nbsp; However that is also where the "apply default settings" button shows if you have changed any campaign settings from the details/launch page, so it is applicable to all account levels.
But anyway, could&nbsp; we make the UI better or reorganise it in some way? so that all of them stay open and they dont close when you open another one ? thanks, at least fix that it should be incredibly easy to do so less than 5 mins
Kraynic said: TheMarkus1204 said: And one more thing: The MISC Group is always there, BUT as a player, it is ALWAYS empty... it is only relevant if you are DM / GM and if you have a Pro Subscription... The reason for this is not clear to me... It was like the Developers just wanted to change something and have not put a single thought into it... The DM/GM part is true.&nbsp; However that is also where the "apply default settings" button shows if you have changed any campaign settings from the details/launch page, so it is applicable to all account levels. That may be true. BUT there are many campaigns where I am playing and in all of them this group of settings is empty... That's why I mentioned it... Eduard Dragonpaw said: But anyway, could&nbsp; we make the UI better or reorganise it in some way? so that all of them stay open and they dont close when you open another one ? thanks, at least fix that it should be incredibly easy to do so less than 5 mins That'd be much appreciated. But also those buttons at the bottom is a No-Go... why not place them on top and have the groups below? This way, buttons were fix and their position does not depend on which group is currently open (if any)...
Gargamond said: Full disclosure, nobody asked for this feature in the suggestions forum, and it didn’t fix any problems. So WHY did the Devs waste their time on this when they could have set up folders or alphabetization in the collection tab? So they wouldn't have to give us editable compendia, obviously.

Edited 1646235868
Arĉjo said: Gargamond said: Full disclosure, nobody asked for this feature in the suggestions forum, and it didn’t fix any problems. So WHY did the Devs waste their time on this when they could have set up folders or alphabetization in the collection tab? So they wouldn't have to give us editable compendia, obviously. Would be a very weak excuse. They don't change it because they are simply not able to! I bet there are a ton more negative reviews of this "new" settings menu with the buttons not fix at the bottom etc. But because the Devs are proud of their (creation) abomination, it is here to stay... as sad as it is! @Roll20: You are welcome to prove me wrong!
anyway id rather you revert it back then this design please. The old one was broken but it was more functional than this
They won't change it. They are not even able to hide the empty Misc Group when only player in a campaign! And if THAT is too hard for them, how should they be able to fix the rest? I am not even sure if the old code still exists or if it has been deleted by now! -.-
Some settings were just straight up removed/moved. I can't seem to turn player names into name only and not showing their pfps. The pfps get in the way and it bugs me.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Note that there are 2 tabs in the audio and video section.&nbsp; That setting isn't on the one that opens first, you need to switch to the other tab (which I think is video, but I'm not logged in a game to check).
TheJayEagle said: Some settings were just straight up removed/moved. I can't seem to turn player names into name only and not showing their pfps. The pfps get in the way and it bugs me. You will find it under "Audio &amp; Video" and there under the tab "Video Display"... I had to search for it, too. And the whole nested settings still IS annoying! Especially the fact they are NOT ABLE to hide the Misc Group if you are only Player in a campaign you did not create yourself... In this case, the Misc Group is always empty... So... yeah... after all the time this shit exists, they STILL have not fixed it...
Gold
Forum Champion
"Video Display" is the label-name Roll20 chose for this hidden, nested setting section. The place to go when you're looking to change the Player's Avatar size.&nbsp; It is indeed hard to find, and confusingly labeled. Kraynic said: you need to switch to the other tab (which I think is video, but I'm not logged in a game to check).
Gold said: "Video Display" is the label-name Roll20 chose for this hidden, nested setting section. The place to go when you're looking to change the Player's Avatar size.&nbsp; It is indeed hard to find, and confusingly labeled. Kraynic said: you need to switch to the other tab (which I think is video, but I'm not logged in a game to check). Another piece of this, which is nonintuitive for me and probably for others as well: for all of the display options for names and avatars to be available, you need to have "Chat Tech" set to "Roll20 Web RTC" on the Audio/Video Chat tab -- even if you are in a game that does not use the video or audio features of Roll20. (You can still set "Others can hear or see" and "I can hear or see" to "None" -- but Chat Tech has to be enabled in order to change the player avatar locations over on the "Video Display" tab.) Options available on the Video Display Tab if Chat Tech is set to Roll20 Web RTC on the Audio/Video Chat Tab: Player video/avatar size Moveable avatar/video screens Player video avatar/location "Disable 'Speaking As' Avatar" checkbox Options available on the Video Display Tab if Chat Tech set to "None (no video/audio)" on the Audio/Video Chat Tab: Player video avatar/size

Edited 1649351789
Gold
Forum Champion
Yes, please restore Player Avatar movability and settings when Roll20 Voice/Video WebRTC is disabled. That is a bug, a regular Roll20 feature that got lost in the Settings UI update. QA Common valid playing conditions/environments like "WebRTC is enabled / disabled" and Dark Mode On / Off, Avatars Top / Bottom, GM Mode / Player Mode, should be ideally added to Quality Assurance testing procedures before changes like this roll out on Production server, rather than waiting weeks for users to report it loudly enough just to go back and restore the feature. This could've easily been detected and noticed by testing in real-play environments.
I disagree I find the new UI for settings much better. Please continue updating roll 20 to make it look more polished.
TikiPhill said: I disagree I find the new UI for settings much better. Please continue updating roll 20 to make it look more polished. Again. It WOULD be Better if it was more polished! If you are player in a campaign you did not create and have a look at the settings, "Misc" Group is there and... it is empty... so: why is it there? WHY is Audio &amp; Video options in 2 tabs instead of 1 as it is 1 group? Why is it hidden in the first place? IF the most used options were grouped together AND unused groups that are empty are hidden AND if those buttons to rejoin / exit game are at the top so you do not have to scroll to reach them depending which of the groups is opened, than it'd be MUCH better! (And this is the ONLY complaint I have about it!)
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
TheMarkus1204 said: TikiPhill said: I disagree I find the new UI for settings much better. Please continue updating roll 20 to make it look more polished. Again. It WOULD be Better if it was more polished! If you are player in a campaign you did not create and have a look at the settings, "Misc" Group is there and... it is empty... so: why is it there? WHY is Audio &amp; Video options in 2 tabs instead of 1 as it is 1 group? Why is it hidden in the first place? IF the most used options were grouped together AND unused groups that are empty are hidden AND if those buttons to rejoin / exit game are at the top so you do not have to scroll to reach them depending which of the groups is opened, than it'd be MUCH better! (And this is the ONLY complaint I have about it!) You THINK it would be better.&nbsp; That is your opinion.&nbsp; No matter how strong that opinion is, that does not make it more valid than the opinion held by TikiPhill. Speaking for myself, I simply don't care if there is an empty category when I am a player.&nbsp; I simply don't care if they hide an empty section or not.&nbsp; I actually prefer there to be the 2 tabs under the audio &amp; video section, because that is quite a long section if it isn't split like that (well, it is if you don't disable chat tech like I do in my games). The only thing I dislike about the current UI is that the top category is always open by default.&nbsp; If it was closed by default, then people on 1080p or smaller vertical pixel count monitors wouldn't have to scroll to see the exit button, or close that top section to get it to pop back up into view.&nbsp;
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Kraynic said: The only thing I dislike about the current UI is that the top category is always open by default.&nbsp; If it was closed by default, then people on 1080p or smaller vertical pixel count monitors wouldn't have to scroll to see the exit button, or close that top section to get it to pop back up into view.&nbsp; For me, it's not about scrolling...it's about having to move my mouse so far down after I click the cog icon. &nbsp;From a human factors perspective, the distance traveled by the mouse is something that should be considered, because it's not efficient in its current position. Yeah, the games over, but efficiency should still be important.

Edited 1649452205
Kraynic said: TheMarkus1204 said: TikiPhill said: I disagree I find the new UI for settings much better. Please continue updating roll 20 to make it look more polished. Again. It WOULD be Better if it was more polished! If you are player in a campaign you did not create and have a look at the settings, "Misc" Group is there and... it is empty... so: why is it there? WHY is Audio &amp; Video options in 2 tabs instead of 1 as it is 1 group? Why is it hidden in the first place? IF the most used options were grouped together AND unused groups that are empty are hidden AND if those buttons to rejoin / exit game are at the top so you do not have to scroll to reach them depending which of the groups is opened, than it'd be MUCH better! (And this is the ONLY complaint I have about it!) You THINK it would be better.&nbsp; That is your opinion.&nbsp; No matter how strong that opinion is, that does not make it more valid than the opinion held by TikiPhill. Speaking for myself, I simply don't care if there is an empty category when I am a player.&nbsp; I simply don't care if they hide an empty section or not.&nbsp; I actually prefer there to be the 2 tabs under the audio &amp; video section, because that is quite a long section if it isn't split like that (well, it is if you don't disable chat tech like I do in my games). The only thing I dislike about the current UI is that the top category is always open by default.&nbsp; If it was closed by default, then people on 1080p or smaller vertical pixel count monitors wouldn't have to scroll to see the exit button, or close that top section to get it to pop back up into view.&nbsp; The first thing I do when entering a new campaign as a player is: changing display name, adjusting volume and avatars. After that I use the settings menu only for exiting the game. Let me put it this way: it is strange to have an empty group there that you can not use because the options are only there for GM. When I am GM however, the first thing I do is to start up transmogrifier to copy some resources over. After that, I won't use that group ever again for this campaign. It is way more annoying if you are testing things out you want to use for an upcoming campagin that you have to scroll all the way down (depending on the group opened) to reach those buttons and not having them placed at the top and fix. It may even be a good idea to put all the Keyboard Shortcuts inside a handout instead of a group and part of the settings menu, but that is just my opinion! As it is my opinion to put the things you use more often (adjusting volume, player avatars etc. and maybe even display name) into 1 group or at least don't split up "Audio &amp; Video". Video has only 1 setting to it (when signed in as player!)... and that is size of the player avatars...
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Finderski said: Kraynic said: The only thing I dislike about the current UI is that the top category is always open by default.&nbsp; If it was closed by default, then people on 1080p or smaller vertical pixel count monitors wouldn't have to scroll to see the exit button, or close that top section to get it to pop back up into view.&nbsp; For me, it's not about scrolling...it's about having to move my mouse so far down after I click the cog icon. &nbsp;From a human factors perspective, the distance traveled by the mouse is something that should be considered, because it's not efficient in its current position. Yeah, the games over, but efficiency should still be important. I can see that.&nbsp; For me it is about the scrolling and visibility.&nbsp; If I log into a game on my laptop, the display tis 1600x900, and the first section being open by default pushes the buttons at the bottom totally off the screen.&nbsp; The distance doesn't bother me, because I don't generally log into a game unless I will be there a while.&nbsp; Moving my mouse a little farther to hit the exit button once every couple hours doesn't bother me.&nbsp; The visibility and scrolling does.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
TheMarkus1204 said: It may even be a good idea to put all the Keyboard Shortcuts inside a handout instead of a group and part of the settings menu, but that is just my opinion! As it is my opinion to put the things you use more often (adjusting volume, player avatars etc. and maybe even display name) into 1 group or at least don't split up "Audio &amp; Video". Video has only 1 setting to it (when signed in as player!)... and that is size of the player avatars... I don't get your idea about the shortcuts.&nbsp; Since there is a setting to enable/disable the advanced shortcuts, I don't see how putting them in a handout would work. I guess I don't see how "things that are used often" are the same thing as "things I touch once and then never go back to". The first thing I do when entering a new campaign as a player is: changing display name, adjusting volume and avatars. After that I use the settings menu only for exiting the game. If you only use them once, it can't be that big of a deal once you know where they are.&nbsp; The only real gripe I could see from your perspective would be "I would prefer the video tab to be the default active tab" so that you wouldn't have to switch from the audio tab to access it.&nbsp; On the other hand, the first thing I do when I create a new game as a GM is to turn off the chat tech, which is conveniently on the audio tab, and I don't have to scroll past the video stuff to get there.
Kraynic said: TheMarkus1204 said: It may even be a good idea to put all the Keyboard Shortcuts inside a handout instead of a group and part of the settings menu, but that is just my opinion! As it is my opinion to put the things you use more often (adjusting volume, player avatars etc. and maybe even display name) into 1 group or at least don't split up "Audio &amp; Video". Video has only 1 setting to it (when signed in as player!)... and that is size of the player avatars... I don't get your idea about the shortcuts.&nbsp; Since there is a setting to enable/disable the advanced shortcuts, I don't see how putting them in a handout would work. I guess I don't see how "things that are used often" are the same thing as "things I touch once and then never go back to". The first thing I do when entering a new campaign as a player is: changing display name, adjusting volume and avatars. After that I use the settings menu only for exiting the game. If you only use them once, it can't be that big of a deal once you know where they are.&nbsp; The only real gripe I could see from your perspective would be "I would prefer the video tab to be the default active tab" so that you wouldn't have to switch from the audio tab to access it.&nbsp; On the other hand, the first thing I do when I create a new game as a GM is to turn off the chat tech, which is conveniently on the audio tab, and I don't have to scroll past the video stuff to get there. There is a group in the settings menu titled: Keyboard Shortcuts. And even this list is FAR from complete! Why not put this into a handout and remove the group completely?
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Why put it in a handout? Some people really don't like handouts being generated that they didn't create.&nbsp; I've even see people post that they stopped using a particular api script because it spawned handouts for the help/read me content. The settings are at the top so you don't need to scroll, but can collapse the section if you have other things you want to get to below. At this point, it has enough of the core shortcuts that someone new would be able to start making use of them.&nbsp; The only change I would make is to put links in that would take people to articles on the shortcuts (at least for the advanced ones), so that they know what all of them are.&nbsp; I'm relatively sure there used to be something like that in the old layout.
Kraynic said: Why put it in a handout? Some people really don't like handouts being generated that they didn't create.&nbsp; I've even see people post that they stopped using a particular api script because it spawned handouts for the help/read me content. The settings are at the top so you don't need to scroll, but can collapse the section if you have other things you want to get to below. At this point, it has enough of the core shortcuts that someone new would be able to start making use of them.&nbsp; The only change I would make is to put links in that would take people to articles on the shortcuts (at least for the advanced ones), so that they know what all of them are.&nbsp; I'm relatively sure there used to be something like that in the old layout. As far as I remember there was no hint at all pointing to the shortcuts or advanced shortcuts inside the campaigns itself. Only the wiki page and even that page did (and does) not include all possible shortcuts...
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
There was a little icon that was a link to the advanced shortcuts article in the old setup.&nbsp; The new one doesn't have it (yet, anyway).&nbsp; The only reason I can say that for sure is that the wiki still has a screenshot of the old settings tab.
Kraynic said: There was a little icon that was a link to the advanced shortcuts article in the old setup.&nbsp; The new one doesn't have it (yet, anyway).&nbsp; The only reason I can say that for sure is that the wiki still has a screenshot of the old settings tab. In my opinion, one link is quite enough. Especially since you don't look at it all the time during the game anyway. Then rather a reference to the Roll20 wiki and there to a complete list. You can then save it, print it out or whatever. But a separate group for it in the settings menu is absolutely not necessary!
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
TheMarkus1204 said: Kraynic said: There was a little icon that was a link to the advanced shortcuts article in the old setup.&nbsp; The new one doesn't have it (yet, anyway).&nbsp; The only reason I can say that for sure is that the wiki still has a screenshot of the old settings tab. In my opinion, one link is quite enough. Especially since you don't look at it all the time during the game anyway. Then rather a reference to the Roll20 wiki and there to a complete list. You can then save it, print it out or whatever. But a separate group for it in the settings menu is absolutely not necessary! I think it is a reasonable section to add.&nbsp; After all, it is generally collapsed, so people that know about the shortcuts don't need to expand it to look beyond perhaps turning on the advanced shortcuts.&nbsp; For people new to the platform, it probably isn't a bad idea to have some of the basics listed there.&nbsp; I have certainly seen enough posts asking about shortcuts before, so this would head off some of that.
TikiPhill said: I disagree I find the new UI for settings much better. Please continue updating roll 20 to make it look more polished. you may disagree but we got at least 20 people voicing why they hate this specific change. Do i WANT more polish yes? is this polish? no there are definitely better ways to do this
Dear gods above, yes, do something to improve this mess. I get more complaints from my players about this change than any recent one. The other night we had problems with video/audio and had to keep resetting, and trying different things like removing/relocating/re-sizing the avatars (yes, it was unlikely to help, but everyone was getting desperate by then). Imagine six people all asking each other "where is the control for this?", "I need to open what?", "which tab was that?" with audio that kept distorting so they couldn't hear the answer. Even under normal circumstances, I find myself looking through the tabs at random trying to find a control I rarely use at least once a month, because the labels really don't correspond well to what's under them (eg, why is "enable avatars" under Text Chat", but "Avatar location" is under "Audio and Video's" sub-tab of "Video Display"?). It always takes longer than necessary.&nbsp; Sure, it's not a big time waste, but it's a headache when you're holding up a game to help one player fix something and neither of you can figure out where the control is. The single long list might not be the best solution, but it was easy to navigate, at least make that versus the new version a game settings option to use one or the other.
Scott M. said: Fk mobile. My PC is not a mobile device, make an option to select mobile interface or classic. I want to see the stats on mobile players trying to move tokens around on their phone I agree, 100% the new user interface sucks! Yeah, this. You can't really play on a phone, and I've only known one person to try to play on a tablet and she had a lot of issues, that we wasted a lot of time on. A lot of places are trying to make everything appropriate for mobile, when some things just don't really work on mobile. Fortunately I'm used to the changes and know where the stuff is that I want to change (mostly avatar stuff, so video, which took a while to find), but I know it confused me a lot when it first changed. And the Exit Game being at the bottom doesn't make much sense. Maybe they figure you're only going to do that once per game, but change other settings more than once? idk
But yeah, you've seen all the complaints on here , there are a lot of ways to improve it, to do something
Daniel S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Having everything hidden inside submenus just objectively makes it take more clicks to do anything. For awhile, transmogrifier was the only thing inside the misc tab. There's no reason to have that start collapsed by default. It's a strict downgrade in terms of ease of use. If you want to give players the option to collapse folders fine, it shouldn't start that way by default.

Edited 1686439787
I got used to it by now (Only using it once after creating a new campaign as a GM / joining a campaign as player to set my things the way I'd like them to be). And I am pretty sure, that they are not going to access it until they release the newly designed chat / library etc. As for the MISC section: at least it is not visible anymore when there are no elements to be displayed...