Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Token Editor glitch

Edited 1643051157
It seems to me that very frequently of late, when double clicking tokens to edit them back to back, the token editor will mistake any interaction with its options as you clicking on attempting to assign a player permission to the token. Then it will lag and jump you back to the player permission dropdown(showing different charactersheet options), ignoring whatever you pressed before. Along with this issue, I've noticed a lot more lag with the token editor of late aswell. BONUS GLITCH: There also seems to be a problem where the editor forgets I've set the token bars to compact, showing both options without their bubbles filled. This usually results in the bars of a token being automatically set to standard visually, unless manually set back to compact. (Again, this mainly occurs if I am editing multiple tokens in a row)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hmm. Are you running anything like VTTES?

Edited 1643053949
keithcurtis said: Hmm. Are you running anything like VTTES? No. Do you think that'd help if I did?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
No, I was more thinking along the lines that it might be the issue if you were, since it would add a layer of code between you and Roll20 which could mess with timing of edit actions. I did notice a little lag with the token editor day before yesterday, but that sort of stuff seems very situational. Non yesterday or today for instance. I'd suggest experimenting around in a private browsing window, which should rule out a lot of extension cruft. You could alos try deleting cache and cookies. Finally, check the size of your game. An inordinately large game can lead to lag or data corruption.

Edited 1643082040
keithcurtis said: No, I was more thinking along the lines that it might be the issue if you were, since it would add a layer of code between you and Roll20 which could mess with timing of edit actions. I did notice a little lag with the token editor day before yesterday, but that sort of stuff seems very situational. Non yesterday or today for instance. I'd suggest experimenting around in a private browsing window, which should rule out a lot of extension cruft. You could alos try deleting cache and cookies. Finally, check the size of your game. An inordinately large game can lead to lag or data corruption. I doubt the size of the game would be an issue when comparing it to previous ones, but is there a specific way to gauge this value? Also these glitches I mentioned have been happening on two laptops around the same time, though when regarding the lag one laptop is worse off than the other, so some of the lag is definitely on my end.
I-O said: .... BONUS GLITCH: There also seems to be a problem where the editor forgets I've set the token bars to compact, showing both options without their bubbles filled. This usually results in the bars of a token being automatically set to standard visually, unless manually set back to compact. (Again, this mainly occurs if I am editing multiple tokens in a row) Yeah - this is a thing.  It's the first bug I reported over a year ago when I started playing! So nostalgic! :) Don't edit more than one token at once, and if you do, don't save any but the last that you opened. It probably wouldn't hurt to report it with a Help Center request.  It is very clearly a bug and very easy to replicate.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
IO: game size is an illusive thing to quantify, given the number of variables, but in general, consider anything with over 200 character sheets, 2 dozen maps, or many character sheets with more than a dozen or so spells on them to be beginning to push the envelope. Sean G: Can you provide reproducible steps? I can't reproduce this glitch.
keithcurtis said: IO: game size is an illusive thing to quantify, given the number of variables, but in general, consider anything with over 200 character sheets, 2 dozen maps, or many character sheets with more than a dozen or so spells on them to be beginning to push the envelope. And I assume that archiving the maps doesn't do any good, same as archiving handouts and character sheets doesn't? I didn't know map quantity could be such an issue, but that very well may be where I am pushing it. Thanks for delivering me all this info that might help me address the lag. As for the glitches with the token editor though, I hope this spotlight nudges us a bit closer to solving some problems that may have been with roll20 for years as Sean G. tells it. I'll post again if I can uncover anymore as well.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Yes, Archiving is poorly named. It would be more aptly named "Hiding". It's entirely cosmetic. It has its uses, but game size management isn't one of them.
keithcurtis  said: ... Sean G: Can you provide reproducible steps? I can't reproduce this glitch. There are two steps.  1) Double Click a token.  2) Double Click another token. You'll notice the first box no longer has any Token Bar Style selected.  If I then hit "Save Settings" it'll save as standard, regardless of what it was previously.  Which is annoying when I use compact. Chrome/Incognito/no plugins/WIndows
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thanks for the steps, Sean G. I can confirm the issue now. I'll fill out a  Help Center Request , and I urge others to do likewise.
Gold
Forum Champion
No user feedback from the thread about the introduction of the new Token Configuration Settings was ever answered by Roll20 Team or addressed.  It got ghosted. They announced the feature, posted a thread that said it was for user feedback, got good feedback posted in the thread from users including bugs being pointed out, and then there was never any action in response to the feedback there. It seemed like perhaps Roll20 staff was not assigned or empowered to follow-up on that thread, in that Quarter. Now that a year or so has passed, perhaps this new-fangled Help Center Request will get through to someone? Sean G. said: Yeah - this is a thing.  It's the first bug I reported over a year ago when I started playing! So nostalgic! :) Don't edit more than one token at once, and if you do, don't save any but the last that you opened. It probably wouldn't hurt to report it with a Help Center request.  It is very clearly a bug and very easy to replicate.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I hope so. I have a feeling that some things are bugs (this settings glitch) and some are design choices (hiding menu settings). As much as we may decry what seem to be poor design choices, they are less likely to be implemented if they are driven by an internal consideration, such as accessibility. I agree though, that that particular feedback thread felt very frustrating and disappointing.

Edited 1643587139
Gold
Forum Champion
I think differently about what internal considerations may speculatively have been, keithcurtis. Those particular deisgn choices on Roll20 (that have been the subject matter of this thread) appear to have been made without the benefit of internal consideration of accessibility, or with misconsideration of accessibility. Those are most likely to be fixed once the Community gets the attention of the newer Accessibility-focused and trained developers that have joined the Dev Team more recently than when those mistakes were chosen and implemented. I haven't seen & cannot yet imagine any Pro-Accessibility reasoning for hiding the Token settings under the [...].  That is the opposite of accessibility by definition. The controls became relatively more inaccessible than they were before. I agree up to here, " As much as we may decry what seem to be poor design choices, they are less likely to be implemented if they are driven by an internal consideration,  " but I don't see that Accessibility was given adequate consideration in the changes that were made to the Token Editor panels last year. Accessiblity became less not more. Accessibility was not touted in the release notes for that. I think the community is saying, please begin to reconsider past choices, now using the light of Accessibility principles. If there were internal considerations that Roll20 Staff determined overrides the importance of Accessibility, it'd be nice to hear the reasoning of what was so important. I think in terms of this Sub-Forum, Bugs = glitches, bugs Technical Issues = includes accessiblity, which includes design choices.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I just meant that I am not a mind reader, and can only guess at what the internal specs might be.