Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Non-stop Connection to the Server has been Interrupted - I'm the DM, I need to be able to connect to the server!

I am the DM for a game and I am having a terrible spell of 'not being able to launch my own game'. It loads for a few seconds, a minute or so, and then big red 'YOUR CONNECTION TO THE SERVER HAS BEEN INTERRUPTED'. If I join as a Player I don't get this, while I was building the game I got this occasionally but never this bad, when we played for the first time I didn't get this, but now I am basically locked out of my own game - Bringing Peace to the Realms. I have looked through the steps Roll20 provides. I cleared my cache. I disabled my Adblock extension. I tried Mozilla Firefox. My internet connection is stable. NOTHING works. Can anyone help me with this issue? Preferably before Sunday when I'm supposed to actually DM for my players?
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
You can check the status of the Roll20 infrastructure at&nbsp; <a href="http://status.roll20.net/" rel="nofollow">http://status.roll20.net/</a> &nbsp;to see if the problem is at their end.&nbsp;
Andrew R. said: You can check the status of the Roll20 infrastructure at&nbsp; <a href="http://status.roll20.net/" rel="nofollow">http://status.roll20.net/</a> &nbsp;to see if the problem is at their end.&nbsp; Thanks for the help, but I've already done that and, supposedly, everything on Roll20's end is in the green. But I can't quite see what the problem on my end could POSSIBLY be, since I didn't actually... do &nbsp;anything. It's like my own game just decided to go belly-up one day for no reason. It makes me wonder if the status website is entirely accurate.
Gold
Forum Champion
Usually, that red warning goes away after a few seconds, or a minute. In fact if you read the entire red warning, it says to not close your browser or refresh, and also not to do anything important in the tabletop during that time, but just to wait and resume playing when the red message goes away.&nbsp; It automatically is reconnecting / trying to reconnect in the background during that time.
Gold said: Usually, that red warning goes away after a few seconds, or a minute. In fact if you read the entire red warning, it says to not close your browser or refresh, and also not to do anything important in the tabletop during that time, but just to wait and resume playing when the red message goes away.&nbsp; It automatically is reconnecting / trying to reconnect in the background during that time. That worked, thank you. The message doesn't actually say to wait and resume when it goes away, but it worked. I still would like to know why this problem appeared in the first place, though.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It usually has to do with a communication problem somewhere in the line between you and the server, or one of the services Roll20 uses, like Amazon Web Services. It may be on your end, Roll20's end or somewhere in between. As an analogy, consider watching a movie on Netflix (a service with vastly deeper infrastructure than Roll20). Usually it works flawlessly, yet every once in a blue moon, you are stuck with a buffering issue. It's the nature of web-based services.
Gold
Forum Champion
I consider it to be like choking&nbsp; buffering through-put limits It could have a wide variety of different causes, but I'd consider it something like this (made-up, fake numbers, for an example): Roll20 can load (let's say) 10,000 things into your browser per minute, after it gets 10,000 the rest of that minute is useless and must wait.&nbsp; You're trying to load 27,000 things. This would explain how it's happening when you're DM but not when you're player, since the GM is loading everything in your game table, and players are only loading the bits that they'd have access to. What is a "thing"? That could be a Page, or a graphic, or a Handout, but it could also be A Stat on A Character Sheet .&nbsp; So each stat that you have, multiplied by all the character sheets that you're loading, is the largest amount of different bits of data. Some files (like graphics or sounds) may take a lot more megabytes, but character sheet fields is something where Roll20/server really has to push 100's upon 1000's of data-bits to your computer each time you reload. Depending on what game you play (what character sheet you use), some character sheets on this site are vastly more data-intensive, and then if you have a lot of PC (and the GM has a lot of NPC also!) then all of that is loading.