Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Format the Spell Cards to Increase Readability

Edited 1652725892
RE: D&D 5e by Roll20 Character Sheet & related compendiums When sharing a spell card in the Roll20 chat, the effects/description is usually outputted in a single block of text without spacing, bullet points, or indentation. My suggestion is to format the spell cards so they are easier to read when shared in chat. Mirroring the format found in the printed versions would be perfect -- a simple line break between paragraphs, or using bullet points in spells like Prestidigitation would go a long way to improve readability. This is especially evident with spells like Polymorph or Teleport, too.
This sounds like a game-specific issue that needs to be addressed with the creators of the character sheet template that you are using.&nbsp;<a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/category/277980" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/category/277980</a>
+1 It might be system-specific, idk cause I only do D&amp;D. But Jason's point is a great one. The spellcard/description looks horrendous when it's longer or has bullet points. I'm always manually fixing this myself in my spell list but it gets annoying. I used to use a * for a bullet, but I saw someone do "-- " and it looked better. The spells themselves are often messed up anyway, not just the description. I'm always having to fix stuff manually, and really, I can't see an excuse for this, especially when something used to be correct and then later it's messed up, like someone re-did the spells and goofed them up.

Edited 1652727322
@Jarren -- Is &nbsp;it the character sheet template? Or is it the listing in the compendium? Both? Neither? I don't know the behind the scenes details, and I see other suggestions regarding the character sheet in the Suggestions and Ideas forum (e.g.: "Improve the spells prepared on 5e OGL sheet" with over 100 votes and a dev response, too). Hopefully this gets some visibility and gains traction. @Katala -- Yes, exactly. I've been playing games here for 2-3 years, and I don't know how many times I've had to reformat the same spells over and over. It seems like a quick, simple fix, be it on the sheet or in the compendium. It would improve QoL for those of us who take time to make changes, as well as for the groups who don't bother/don't know about formatting, and have to suffer through the large glut of text posted in the chat bar. Note: updated the initial post to indicate I was referring to the 5e sheet by Roll20
On the Roll20 5E sheet, I personally edit spell description manually so that they are easier to read. I evel add "Source: BOOK P.#" at the bottom for reference. Bold and Itallic from Markdown works great to highlight keywords. The only thing I still can't get to work properly are Bullet Points and it's killing me... Manually updating every spells is a huge hassle, but such is the way of spellcasters lololol :)
I have homemade spell cards I do in a template I made in Excel where I highlight keywords. But I don't know how to do markdown. I do know how to do that with html but don't know if that works. (I should try it. Then I could do bullets.)

Edited 1652781353
When editing the text of the spell, you can use a single asterisk at either end of the word/phrase to italicize (*example*), or two asterisks to bold (**example**). This will only show up when the spell is posted in chat, though. It won't look formatted when you're looking at the spell description in the list on the sheet itself. I just copy/paste in a " • " and use that for bullet points. Hope this helps! But the original point still stands -- if this was formatted into the spells to begin with, it would preclude the need to finagle anything at all. @Neo -- adding the source information is a great idea, too.
Jason said: @Jarren -- Is &nbsp;it the character sheet template? Or is it the listing in the compendium? Both? Neither? I don't know the behind the scenes details, and I see other suggestions regarding the character sheet in the Suggestions and Ideas forum (e.g.: "Improve the spells prepared on 5e OGL sheet" with over 100 votes and a dev response, too). Hopefully this gets some visibility and gains traction. @Katala -- Yes, exactly. I've been playing games here for 2-3 years, and I don't know how many times I've had to reformat the same spells over and over. It seems like a quick, simple fix, be it on the sheet or in the compendium. It would improve QoL for those of us who take time to make changes, as well as for the groups who don't bother/don't know about formatting, and have to suffer through the large glut of text posted in the chat bar. More good points. I think at least part of the problem is in the compendium, cause I just looked at Command and the "spellcard" version was lumped in one big paragraph. But there are other weird things that happen, like when I once did a spell with a save and all that came up was a tiny box with the spell name but was otherwise empty. Turned out the save dropdown box had never been set, such a simple and stupid thing. And there are people who don't know how a lot of things work and don't realize there's even a problem. But I disagree that it would be a quick, simple fix, cause it would take going through every single spell and checking everything. It takes me forever to do that one level at a time for my own characters, let alone all the spells that exist. (I would even be willing to help if they'd just do it.) I finally started listing them in a spreadsheet with a note of what needs fixed, like "half damage, paragraphs" or whatever. So next time I don't have to look for the problems, just fix them. Takes time to make that list but saves tons of time later, especially as I have a penchant for druids. lol
Jason said: When editing the text of the spell, you can use a single asterisk at either end of the word/phrase to italicize (*example*), or two asterisks to bold (**example**). This will only show up when the spell is posted in chat, though. It won't look formatted when you're looking at the spell description in the list on the sheet itself. Oh, like Discord. Got it. Thanks.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .