Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Allow the GM to interact with existing objects on both the Token and GM layers without switching the active layer

As a GM, I often use the GM layer to manage concealed tokens (via stealth, invisibility, or those that just aren't on the map yet).  I find myself regularly bouncing back and forth between the Token layer and GM layer all the time to move tokens on and between those layers.  I would like the option to select, move and right-click on tokens regardless of which of those two layers they're on and interact with them. I know that keyboard shortcuts exist for switching layers, but it's cumbersome to have to dance back and forth and remember which layer you're currently on.  In addition, the shortcuts (ctrl-O, ctrl-K) require two hands so I have to move my (right) hand back and forth between the keyboard and mouse, so they don't really save me any time in this case.
I really don't know how that will be possible for the UI to know what you are trying to click on.  I'd suggest turning on ' Advanced Keyboard Shortcuts ' to make switching between layers easier - you can keep one hand on the mouse and use the other to press individual keys to switch between layers.
You could also use BUMP script from the one and only The Aaron. It creates a slave either on the gm or the token layer that if you move or select is followed by its "copy" on the other layer.  Very useful for invisibility or hidden characters. 
Jarren said: I really don't know how that will be possible for the UI to know what you are trying to click on.  I'd suggest turning on ' Advanced Keyboard Shortcuts ' to make switching between layers easier - you can keep one hand on the mouse and use the other to press individual keys to switch between layers. When two tokens are on the same layer, how does the UI know which to select?  It looks at the X,Y coords, and then picks the one on top.  I see no need to change that process. Unfortunately, the advanced keyboard shortcuts are really no better since I'm right-handed; the l, o, and k keys still require the same hand as my mouse, which I need to select the token.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .