Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Image Quality Bug?

<a href="https://i.imgur.com/skPmjnQ.png" rel="nofollow">https://i.imgur.com/skPmjnQ.png</a> Just trying to figure out if there is something I can do about this. The quality is unusable. Thank you
Everything is blurry now. It wasn't like this before

Edited 1652291995
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Whenever you upload a graphic to Roll20, it automatically creates 4 other versions at different resolutions (thumb, med, orig and max). This is so that a graphic that is "very close" to the needed zoom size is available, and keeps the system from trying to serve a 1000px wide graphic when the display size is a 70px token, for example. This is very similar to apps like Google maps, which store multiple map tile sizes for this very reason. This is why graphics might sometimes appear with different quality at different sizes. Roll20 automatically converts all of your uploaded graphics to pngs, to reduce compression artifacts that can occur from jpgs. (If you uploaded a jpg, only the original jpg upload size is counted in your storage quota, thought, so that's cool). All that is background to explain minor changes in appearance. What you are posting though is not minor, and seems to be outside the range of normal behavior. Without a lot of testing, it might be difficult to figure out where the degradation is coming in. It might be from a badly-cached image, and a reupload or browser cache dump might help. It might be something that happened during the upload process, if the original was a jpg, for instance—this one is unlikely, but possible, and you might be able to mitigate by deleting the original from your art library and re-uploading. Another possibility to try is to find the most common display size. If this is a map or token graphic that goes on the VTT, this might be difficult, due to the nature of zooming, but it if is displaying in a journal or handout, you might be able to decipher the final display size and upload a graphic that is specifically already that size. These are some suggestions. The amount of degradation you are posting looks way outside what is normal. My best guess is that your browser is being served the wrong size image, probably due to bad cache in the browser or interference from Amazon Web Services, which hosts all of Roll20's asset serving. Try in a different browser that you don't normally use for Roll20, or a re-upload before anything else.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Update (you posted your second shot while I was posting). :D If you were getting sharp images in Roll20, but not now , then yeh, I would suggest deleting the browser cache to force a reload of the more targeted size graphics.
Thank you for your replies! Clearing the cache did not help, and a fresh install of Firefox has the same issues. These look horrible and I do not think I can use them for a session. This is seriously disappointing.&nbsp;
Update: OK, so I was using a different monitor than the one I made the maps on. I got the idea to switch back to the original, and they are MUCH clearer. I do not know what the difference would be as nothing else is blurry on the new monitor, but there you have it.

Edited 1652294015
Update Update: I have solved the issue. It would appear that the DPI scaling of the monitor throws off the quality IMMENSLEY. The original monitor was 100% scaling, the new blurry monitor was 200%. Dropped the new monitor to 100%, and while everything is tiny as all get out, at least it's clear.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thanks DSquared! I'll add that to my list of triage suggestions. Was the other monitor a 4K monitor? Unfortunately, I have no experience working with those. :/
My pleasure! I hate when I find unresolved forum questions! The monitor IS 4k (technically a TV), so I set it to 200% scaling so I could see things when it's mounted on the wall. All the text/UI elements are VERY tiny at 100%, but one could switch back and forth when using Roll20 if needed. Thank you again for your assistance!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thank YOU for the detailed report. I've started sniffing around to see if anyone has posted any UHD guidelines anywhere.