Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

All my folders just became unstacked!

I just logged into my game, to add a new handout - and to my horror found all of my files in their  folders missing - and evert single folder empty! turns out *every single folder" has been emptied and dumped at the bottom of the stack in alphabetical order!!   WHAT ON EARTH HAPPENED AND HOW CAN I FIX THIS?  (sort of manually trying to remember where every file belong over the year+ I've been running the game and creating folders/tokens/handouts as I went along. This is going to take me FOREVER fix by myself.     
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You could try a rollback. This is how the phenomenon was explained to me: This happens when the VTT attempts to load the file structure and finds some level of "corruption" (not the perfect term but it works here) that would cause the file structure to otherwise simply not load or be lost. The "dumping" is a failsafe measure to ensure the data is not completely lost. The only remedy/workaround is by using a Rollback to go back to a time when the folder structure was intact. I would strongly recommend doing a full backup of the campaign (uses no storage quota to speak of) before trying.

Edited 1652634513
Hi, DM (RH). Scanning the dozens of reports of this exact problem over the years indicates that your best bet is a Help Center Request. I haven't seen reports of a rollback working, for instance. * When the problem has been solved, it's been through Roll20 intervention. Link: Help Center Request As to what causes the issue in the first place, I'm not at all sure. Keeping games small (by making liberal use of the Transmogrifier if you have Pro) and making regular copies of games are my only ideas on how to prevent or circumvent it from the user's end, although speaking from personal experience those are easier habits to suggest than to form. Good luck, and please leave an update when this is resolved. (If there *is* something users can do to resolve or prevent this, I'd like to know!) * Edit: Huh; apparently a rollback can work sometimes; thanks, keithcurtis! The forum posts I saw mentioned instances of rollbacks not working to resolve this issue.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
AFAIK, it's just something that happens, and there is no known cause or workaround. It's a total pain in the neck when it happens, but at least the fail safe prevents you from having the truly revolting experience of losing everything. I have seen very few reports of the rollback working either, but it apparently works often enough to be worth trying. But in any case,  always make a copy.

Edited 1652684381
I have tried rolling back my game to the day after our last play session (10th May) and my files are still all dumped out of my folders in an alphabetical pile.  it's made no difference whatsoever.   I do regularly back up my game usually when I'm making a big change, I don't as a habit back up my game on the off chance that my game will be visited by a gale of malevelant librarian poltegeists wanting to unsort my folders into the dewey-decimal system for shits and giggles.   I did leave a Help Centre Request report on the bugs report page, and was told this sometimes happens when a game gets too big (no indication of what that means) I'm running a purchased module (Tomb of Annhilation) I create my own tokens, I download maps from the marketplace and upload music tracks I own and write up my session notes and campaign ideas - all things I thought within bounds of the platform.  I am not, to my knowledge, near the capacity of my storage so this visitation by the anti-entropy tornado of good order came out of the blue.   It is going to take me WEEKS to fix this.  WHAT THE ACTUAL F*CK ROLL 20?  Seriously!