Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Character tokens not updating

Hello everyone. Sorry if this has been posted before but I am having an issue where character tokens (new ones dropped out and ones on old pages) are not updating properly. For instance, they recently leveled up and their hp increased. Below is the picture of a fresh token and how it has been programmed to act. Then when I open the character sheet, it shows the correct health. So basically Ihave to open the character sheet, then drop the tokens out for it to place them properly. This has also caused an issue with the long resting macros though, where the character sheet will update but the token will not. I have tried disabling all api scripts and there is still the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Have you verified that you do not accidentally have two identically named (or nearly-so) character sheets for that character, with the token linked to the other one? Quick test: When you shift-double-click on an incorrect token, does it open the correct sheet?
I've been having a similar problem recently in a few games.  It is as if the token becomes dissociated from the sheet and an older token is somehow linked to the sheet, even though hit points etc have changed on the character sheet, they don't show up on the token.  After leveling up the token on the landing page will look fine, but the moment you try and drag a token on to a new map the token it for an older version of the character sheet.  I've had several times when i've had to go in and add the selected token to the character again to get it to pull out the correct token to place on the map.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Are you creating the token by manually dragging from the journal tab, copying and pasting from another page, or are you using a script to generate it on the VTT?
Not sure about the opening poster, but my technique is to have a player create a character.  Make a token to go with it, assign the token to the character sheet in the token settings, then set the token up with Hit Dice, AC, and Hit Points in the bars/ bubbles linked to the character sheet.  Then on the character sheet, tell it to use the selected token.  The tokens are laid out on the landing page, and the players are moved back to that page when it is time to level up. When I want to move the players to a new map i always drag the tokens from the journal individually onto the map by clicking on the characters name and just dragging it to the area i want the character to be.  Most of the time it has worked fine, it has only been in the last week or two that i have had problems where the tokens that appear on the map aren't the same as the ones on the landing page but seem to be the tokens as they were a level or two ago.  it doesn't happen everytime, but in the game i ran at the weekend, people had leveled up between sessions and 4 out of 5 tokens hadn't got the leveled up hit points and hit dice on them.  Shift click on the token and it brings up the character sheet as it should be.  Check in the token settings and Hit Points, AC and Hit Dice are all show they are linked to the character sheet, but don't have the same values as the character sheet has. If I go back to the landing page and open a character sheet, remove the token and add the updated token to the sheet it then works fine.   I've also had times when I've dragged a token onto the landing page and it has worked fine, but the moment i tried to do it on a different map the token appeared differently. I can confirm that I don't have more than one character in the journal with the same name, I may have a copy of the game with the same characters in it, but I very rarely copy a character within a game, except for very specific things and then delete them as soon as what ever I was doing is finished.
Using the shift click opens the correct sheet. To add a new token i drag it from the journal tab and drop it onto the VTT.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
What browser are you using? Do you get the same behavior in a private browsing window? Did you check for similarly-named sheets?
Chrome and edge. Yes and yes I did (Sorry this is a week later)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
If you can duplicate the behavior consistently, it's probably best at this point to capture a Console Log ( Chrome ,  Firefox ) from when the error occurs and use it to file a  Help Center Request .
Just wanted to add to this thread simply to say that I, too, have the exact same issues and can second about the tokens strangely reverting to a previous iteration of character sheet before correctly updating once the character sheet is opened and a new token is dropped in. I have been using roll20 for years and can confirm the issue has nothing to do with a similarly-named sheet or improper linking between token and sheet. This is a new problem with not only tokens that have existed for months and months before an issue suddenly occurred, but also to brand new character sheets/tokens set up in the exact same way as always. Just wanted to see if the other posters have any updates or changes they've managed to figure out or receive help with. It's an issue that's not the end of the world but is bizarre and would be nice to have figured out.
I still do not have an update, but I am trying to remember to get the Console Log when it occurs.
Was able to recreate and post a help center request. I will let you know if this issue is resolved.
I am also experiencing this issue, please do update us if Roll20 gets a fix.
Gauss
Forum Champion
IF this is the same issue as I experienced in a game last night, copying and pasting the token *might* work.  For me, the copy worked while the token did not. 
Experiencing the same issue with all my Player Tokens (I am GM). Bars showing incorrect values up until the sheet was opened AND the relevant fields values were changed and saved... This might have to do with Roll20's new method of loading things and the recent VTT Update regarding Tokenbars... One thing I have to test is, that if you modify the token bars by direct input from the token (sheet closed!) if it resets once the sheet is opened or if the sheet gets updated correctly... Gauss said: IF this is the same issue as I experienced in a game last night, copying and pasting the token *might* work.  For me, the copy worked while the token did not.