Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Can a player call an Ability via a Chat Menu option on another character sheet that they do not control/edit?

Scenario is that I have a "DM character sheet" that has detailed Abilities and Attributes and an abstracted version of that sheet as a "Player character sheet". Each sheet is linked to different tokens with the DM token being invisible to the players. I want the player to be able to call an Ability located on the "DM character sheet" via a Chat Menu button that is called from the "Player sheet". This works when I am the GM calling from the player sheet but doesn't work when an actual player tries it. I would like to be able to do this without granting edit/control permission on the "DM character sheet" to the player. Is there a way to do this?

Edited 1655869679
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
No, players cannot get attribute values or use abilities from characters they do not control. Except: There's a bug with how action buttons are called that allows them to be called by anyone. Solutions for you use case: Make the ability as a global macro. Not my favorite as it bloats the collections tab You'll need to grant edit permission on the DM character sheet, however, if the players don't have "can view in journal" permission, they won't be able to find the character sheet to do anything other than call the ability you've exposed to them.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I do this a lot using Scotrt's method 2. If you grant playters edit control, but do not grant them "can view in journal", they cant see the characetrsheet or anything on it, so you can safely tell them the abilities they can call, and those are the only ones they use. I often combine this with the macro method, with the following steps Create a DM sheet, make it editable but not viewable by players. Create the abilities you plan to let players use on it. Create macros with triggers for those abilities, like %{DM-SHEET|ABILITY}. Make this macros visible to every one. This means players have the simple macro trigger (#MACRO-NAME} and you get the benefit of storing the abilities on a macro sheet for easy maintenance and transfer.
Thanks all! That is exactly the workaround I was looking for!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Just chiming in that a huge amount of my game's automation is built on this method.