Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Returning DM after 2 yrs - need api recommendations

not sure I am following correctly - So I click on City Token and hit the Key Pin macro The City Name appears with a T - I clicked on that City name w/ 4 buttons appears in chat now. The buttons are: Homes, Tavern, PoI, Shops - I click on Homes List all Home Locations - I pick Keith Home and press T a little image of Keith's home appears and whatever info I have of Keith's home. Now how do I add buttons in that same dialog? Keith's Inventory, Keith's Quest, Keith's Rumor, GM Only notes and is it possible to write all the info of these buttons in a GM/PC note section instead of having to create handouts and do the [Handout Name](Link to Handout) Cause my concern doing that is - creating lag for having tooooo much handouts / sheets ------------------------- Now I attempted the 2nd way you suggested with the 5 dashes ----- nothing happened - when I hit the Keith's Home T - the same stuff keeps coming out and I am not getting my notes for GM only.

Edited 1658680382
So I figured how to make buttons now on the list - but I cant get it to function correctly. None of the 3 buttons are pulling anything. In this picture, I only clicked on GM and get the error + whisper

Edited 1658680451
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Double check, the text should read: Public stuff More public stuff ----- Gm secret stuff From the order you describe it sounds like: hit T button Get description you want buttons to appear in the description area? Do these buttons send text messages when you click them? As for having more info without having more handouts, if each token is to have that info unique to them, it needs to be stored on the token. There are 8 places you can record info on a token, other than name. The val and max fields of each token bar, the gmnotes, and the tooltip. You would need to create a macro that reads the Inventory, Quest, and Rumor from each of one of those fields. For instance bar1_max might have info from Inventory. Then your gmnote on the Keith's House token could look like: Keith lives here, he lives in a forest and has a big dog. ----- Keith sells maps to game designers. [Inventory](`@{selected|bar1|max}) Running the initial query on "Home" and hitting the "T" tokennotes button on the line for Keith's House would return something like this: And clicking on that button in the gmnotes area of the report handout would send the contents of bar1_max on the Keith's House token to chat:

Edited 1658680572
seems we posted at the same time - had an update of what I was trying to do w/ pic... you want buttons to appear in the description area? Do these buttons send text messages when you click them? Yes!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
On the samples you gave, [GM](~/w gm  Macros|macrotocall) wouldn't work for a number of reasons. ~ is a symbol that means the next thing is the name of an Action (character macro) on the same sheet as the calling macro, or an Action on a sheet if the sheet is specified. As written, it is looking for a macro called "/w gm  Macros|macrotocall". In this case, your button should look like [GM](~Macros|macrotocall)  "/w gm" should be in the called macro code, not the button. Also, this means you will need to make a separate macro for each inventory and quest and rumor for each token on the board you want to have one: Keith-House-Quest Keith-House-Inventory Keith-House-Rumors Novercallis-House-Quest Novercallis-House-Inventory Novercallis-House-Rumors ... Keeping the info in the token bars for each token is more efficient, but making each button a named action does give you more leeway with formatting, adding picture references and so forth.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Novercalis said: you want buttons to appear in the description area? Do these buttons send text messages when you click them? Yes! Excellent! Then the procedure I outlined above with all the screenshots should work.

Edited 1658685318
I'm so sorry for being damn complicated! still got 2 issues: so following your code - it isnt working, as I am still getting a red error + the correct format at the same time. Issue #2: I still cant separate the PC and GM stuff using the 5 dashes. Only way I can get it to semi work is by clicking the token and typing in chat !gmnote - but then it is whispered to me. For the Players - they don't see the buttons if they click on the "t". I would love for them to get the description but I get the buttons visible to myself only. here is a pic using the !gmnote on the token to get the button and what happens when I clicked on any of the buttons now I can deal with the "|" showing up - just be nice to get rid of the error message. So if ~ looks for a action macro, then what other symbol do I need to use for just text?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The tilde is used to call an action. An exclamation point is used to call a Mods script. A back tic (the symbol directly under the tilde on most keyboards) should be sufficient for most plain text: Either one of these produce the same output: Keith lives here, he lives in a forest and has a big dog. ----- Keith sells maps to game designers. [Inventory](`@{selected|bar1|max}) [Inventory](`Map of Westeros, Map of Babylon 5) Clicking either button