Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[LFG] [M&M3] Text-based Mutants and Masterminds

I'm not very picky. I just really want to play a live Mutants and Masterminds game that doesn't have extremely restrictive and heavily houseruled character creation. Mondays and Thursdays are taken, but I am otherwise free throughout the week.
*bump*
*badump*
*Beep?*
*Awooga!*
Still looking... I'm happy to help workshop ideas, assist GMs in validating characters, whatever needs to be done.
*Cicada noises*

Edited 1667607929
Perhaps you should consider running a game? You could use one of the modules.
I'm a forever GM and most of the modules for M&M are terrible. I'd like to see what the other side of the metaphorical GM's screen looks like at least once.

Edited 1667608610
Might have better luck finding a GM if it wasn't restricted to text. Not to say that you can't find someone willing to run a text game on Roll 20 but it does make things more restrictive.
You are almost certainly correct.
*bump*
*thump*
I'd be interested in trying to GM this- I've only run D&D before, and only ever played in one other ttrpg (Cyberpunk: RED) so I'd have to learn some stuff, but from what I've looked at so far it shouldn't be too complicated. 
The learning curve of M&M is almost entirely frontloaded, it's super simple once you understand the basics. I'll be happy to help teach you anything that you have trouble with.

Edited 1669405302
If this is going to be text only I guess there's also the option of making it a play by post game. Just something to consider.
What's mutants and monsters about? I'm down for text-based games, I prefer them way over voice ones
It's a super hero rpg game.
sounds fun. I would like to join :)
Arkham51 said: If this is going to be text only I guess there's also the option of making it a play by post game. Just something to consider. If I wanted a play-by-post game I wouldn't be asking in the live tabletop space, I'd be asking it in dedicated PbP spaces like rpol.net.
Do u have a discord group or anything set up?
I don't, and Roll20 is touchy about Discord links.
Then where will the group meet up?

Edited 1671617477
Presumably we'd exchange PMs. But Arkham has been thoroughly dissuaded due to a lack of confidence in his text roleplaying abilities, or so he has said to me in the aforementioned PMs.

Edited 1669730371
"Presumably we'd exchange PMs. But   Arkham has been thoroughly dissuaded due to a lack of confidence in his text roleplaying abilities, or so he has said to me in the aforementioned PMs." What the heck are you talking about? I said no such thing nor have I ever sent you any personal messages.
I'm sorry, I somehow got you confused with someone else with a very similar username and profile picture who has been PMing me! ^_^;
Still looking.
*beep*
*Christmas Eve bump*
i’m looking to maybe try to run a different genre than D&D. For many years I’ve run multiple successful campaigns doing superhero comic book stuff with champions rule sets. I’ve been meaning to take a look at mutants and masterminds to see if it would suit my preferred style. I probably want to do it with Maps and tokens and all that though.
Mac K. said: I probably want to do it with Maps and tokens and all that though. I mean, it's Roll20. Maps and tokens and all that are what it is for. I think you might have misunderstood; by "text-based" I meant "as opposed to voice-based." I'm totally down for maps and tokens and such; that's why I'm advertising here!
... bump?
As a friendly suggestion, I'd recommend letting this thread go and starting a new one. Reading some of the interactions here may be a bit off-putting to potential players.  And not everyone wants to play with someone that openly calls themselves "Loony".  I'd stick with the basics like "Thanks for the response. Thanks for looking.  Thanks for the recommendation." Leave all of the snarky explanations out or no one is going to join. 

Edited 1675526117
I always wanted to try DMing a play by post game or text only game. how casual or serious are we talking? Anywho if your still looking, Loony, give me a poke here or on discord at Antonio#8997
GMDM said: As a friendly suggestion, I'd recommend letting this thread go and starting a new one. Reading some of the interactions here may be a bit off-putting to potential players.  And not everyone wants to play with someone that openly calls themselves "Loony".   I see names on the forums like "Booger Blaster" and "Goatnuts," so I think "Loony" is fairly tame. I had one guy in a game insist I call him "Morpheus." Awkward as hell. "Loony" is way less pretentious as some in the very least.  On these forums it's an odd thing to suggest somebody drop.
That would make you part of the people that don't take it as a red flag then.  Congratulations, you've found your group. Enjoy your game.

Edited 1675720663
GMDM said: As a friendly suggestion, I'd recommend letting this thread go and starting a new one. Reading some of the interactions here may be a bit off-putting to potential players.  And not everyone wants to play with someone that openly calls themselves "Loony".  I'd stick with the basics like "Thanks for the response. Thanks for looking.  Thanks for the recommendation." Leave all of the snarky explanations out or no one is going to join.  I appreciate the suggestion, I've been mulling it over for the last few days, but ultimately I feel I have to stay the course. I was once friends with a very toxic individual who constantly changed their name in order to avoid the consequences of treating everyone like shit; I aspire to be better than him. If my natural personality is enough to put off potential GMs in a public forum where I am trying my best to behave myself, then it's better it happens now  rather than in a livetext environment after I and three-to-five other players have gotten ourselves excited. I'm aware I can be a little abrasive sometimes, but I take responsibility for it. If I ever get on your nerves, tell me; I'll apologize and try to be better. <3 "LoonyLadle" is actually an in-joke to a BYOND murder-investigation-mystery game I once played called Pyrce High. I won't relate the entire story here; suffice to say that I once played the "murderer" player in a round but had to leave for an hour, and in the process of passing the responsibility to another player I accidentally started a ladle-worshipping cult who only used ladles as weapons. I had been on the hunt for a better username for some time when it happened because my name at the time, PhantomSkyfire, had recently started to sound pretentious and unwieldy to me and I was looking to distance myself from the kind of person I used to be. I'm actually not very loony at all. I'm quite a serious player, but I try to embrace silliness when it happens. And for the most part people call me Lulu anyways. Anywhoodles! Antonio, I've sent you a friend request on Discord! For everyone else, I'm LoonyLadle#7465 if you would like to talk there. As a player I generally prefer serious games with an open mind to the occasional comic relief event. If I missed anything let me know. I've got a game today in like... two minutes!
Best of luck with your game!

Edited 1676074057
Hi, LoonyLadle. May I call you Loony? I will assume I may. GMDM had a good point. You might consider leaving this thread to fade away and start anew. Newcomers might find it a bit to wade through. Your mileage may vary, as they say. You might also consider adding your timezone and best days/times to the first post in this thread. I've had more luck when I got more specific. YMMV again, of course. But your name is your name. It's wonderful. His point about replies and snark has some merit; more flies with honey and all. But I read the entire thread and then looked at your Bio to confirm what I suspected, and anyone else worth considering will also look at the Bio and be okay with it. So that was a great pep talk. I'm sure you're golden now, and I can be on my way. Best of-- Oh, WAIT ! That's not why I came here at all! Important note: Everything I say from here on depends on matching up a day/time to play. I'm Pacific Time, Work Full Time, and could spare an evening during the work week as long as we stop by 10PM. No Fridays. Some time on the weekend might be okay. For 12 years I ran for my online, text-based group , a supers game that combined slice-of-life (some said Soap Opera) elements with extreme danger and a dash of ongoing conspiracy. It enjoyed a lovely spin-off one-on-one with a player interested in the adventures of a specific character, a sequel series set a few year later with an amped up power level, and a second spin-off, prequel to the sequel, Borderlands style. It all eventually ran its course, and the group moved on and we play different stuff now. I've been thinking ever since... what if I did a reboot? Hell, DC Comics did it how many times? I tried once, but never made critical mass on Roll20. Played a few intros and setup scenes, but that's it. Now, M&M3... not a dealbreaker, but my last game using M&M was 1e. I have and have read the others. Take a bit to get up to speed if that's the system. So, here's my idea... The original series was called "Delta Factor," and chronicled the appearance of super powered people beginning in 2001 (with a nice dip into the secret WWII project that produced a few and paved the way for the rest), with a timeline that grew to 2036, and even a tad later with some cute narrative license epilogues. PCs played relatively low, 'street level' supers dealing with life post "expression." and with the ongoing story elements and increasing power level of an evolving setting. One day you're trying to get your kid a place in the good school, the next you're fighting the mad mind control villain for the fate of the city. Turns out a bullet in the head stops his power great. The reboot would have the same name, because it's a reboot and I like the name. Maybe add the year. But I change the inciting incident and start a new timeline. By default play begins a few weeks after the inciting incident, with some flashbacks along the way explain a few things. It's open to alterations if players love another idea. The exact nature of the inciting incident I'll detail elsewhere if we decide this thing is going somewhere. Here is what I will ask from every player. A bit about the person you used to be. This will include a specific question or two related to the premise. Not a ton, but enough to build on later. A bit about "where were you when it happened?" A little detail about your character's person story and what happened to them on the day of change. Then of course powers. A bit about the powers you gain, and how having them has changed your life (hopefully for the better; it's super depressing to have everyone have kewl powers and be all sad about it). How's your family taking it? Coworkers? Get the promotion? New job that lets you use those kewl powers? Now... here is where things get a little tricky and may cause misunderstandings. By default the thing that gives powers is a strange energy and all powers stem from a manipulation of this energy. Better/Faster/Stronger and other physiological changes are certainly possible, as well as anything the can be explained as a manipulation of the strange energy around us. Less like to apply will be powers causing or allowing gross (as in very obvious or blatant ; not a personal judgement on what counts as icky) physical changes. In the last series, I ended up relaxing that as the power level rose, but I'd really rather not here. So, shapeshifting, stretching, growing wings... not usually on for this concept. The reboot I tried began a month after "the incident," with each PC getting flashback to the day and the changes as they happened, and then moved to PCs getting paid to share their stories because they all had strange similarities that couldn't possibly have been coincidence. From there it led to a job offer and adventure... or would have if I'd ever had more than two players. I'd probably do something similar here. The power level I would look for at the start would be on the low end. Think, one decently trained baseline human might have a shot against you. I'd increase the power level as we played, slowly at first, but if things work well, might end up with a huge surge. PCs would all be adults, preferably in their 30s. This allows for plenty of places to put backstory and invent flashbacks. 30s is negotiable, but 21 is drop-dead minimum. This is still part slice of life. I want to see how your character manage the day-to-day of it all. Triumphs, setback, relationships (small R, meaning every possible way two or more people can evolve an ongoing interaction), Relationships (Big R, meaning kissing and fading to black, and maybe living together and getting married, and kids... and stuff), and all the stuff that makes a life. But then there'd be the running and fighting and shooting and threatening phone calls (are you making them? Getting them? Who knows!) and you know.... adventure-slash-trauma. And I'm sorry.... at least one evil, possibly misunderstood, genius. It's tradition. If you're still with me, feel free to send me a DM (Why DM? Especially on a site for role-playing? I much prefer "PM"). We can swap sentences and see if we can find enough common ground to move to Discord, where I have a server full of weirdos like us. If we DO play.... I also like cute anime girls in cuter outfits... but for this game I'd prefer pictures of the actor you would hire to play you in the movie that gets made about your exploits. Also, I do maps for important fights, but theater of the mind when it's just a couple of goons. I'd probably ask players to provide a few ideas for various "dud" powers NPCs might possess. My favorite example from the old game was Audrey the Barista. She could make her eyes glow bright enough to read by. That's it. My other name is Longspeak. Guess why.
Hi Longspeak! I can immediately tell we operate on very similar wavelengths! Sorry it took a spell to get back to you, the last few days have been... interesting. [distant sounds of trench warfare] I prefer Lulu, but Loony is fine. Not Looney though! The thing about dates and time zones is that my schedule is a perpetual walking tour of the planet, and only having fixed obligations helps to stabilize it. So 2:00 AM and 2:00 PM are pretty much the same to me from a practical standpoint; it might take me a week or two to stabilize around something, but I eventually will no matter when it is. That said I usually try to avoid having more than one game going at a time, so Mondays and Thursdays from 3:30 PM to about 7:30 PM Eastern are less than ideal. I haven't exactly had much to do in those games lately though, so even then's not completely off the table. I'm not generally the biggest fan of "augmented" type characters - that is, those who were normal people but suddenly obtained superpowers through some external source. I'm not saying I won't play them (I did say I wasn't picky!) or that I don't get the appeal of the premise from a GMing perspective, but I have a lot of character concepts I would like to use that aren't compatible with that origin. Goddesses, magical girls, badass normals, and battle-scarred cyborgs, oh my! I'll be sending you a PM shortly to discuss the specifics of your idea in more detail.
LoonyLadle said: Not Looney though! Hey Lulu, I would not call you Looney. A Looney is a Canadian Dollar Coin, and I just wouldn't do that to someone. It's about standards. Unless you think the rest might help attract other players, I'm happy to take the rest to PMs. I will need to find at least one more and preferably a total of four before I will be set for anything long term (I have done solos, but I find the shared worldbuilding I plan to do suffers when only one other person is sharing the load). When the time is right, I'll make a game listing and see if that generates anything.
Hehehe~ Yes, I figured nothing else I had to say was of interest to listeners. I have a decently sized community of players that I am certain has at least one other person who'd follow me into any M&M game I join. Roll20 isn't their usual stomping ground for many of them, but we're all very open-minded! I also find that M&M is very GM-starved and even text-based games get mobbed by applicants in short order. A little while ago I was recruiting for a game and I got ten applicants in three days. It was actually a little distressing to read through all the applications, knowing I'd have to pass on over half of them!