Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Rulebooks

If you purchase a core rulebook, like the Monster Manual or Player's Guide, does that include a physical copy of the book as well, or just the extra content not included in the SRD, in digital format here?

Edited 1659882015
I don't know about other publishers, but with the material from WOTC, it only includes the digital content. Also, if that content is purchased here on Roll20, it's only usable here on Roll20; you can't access that content if you aren't logged in. AFAIK, it's the same for their digital publications on <that other site that I'm not sure I can mention here>, you can only use it on that site and not here. Reciprocally, if you buy their physical books you don't get access to any of their digital content. That is why I can't consider moving to a VTT other than here: I can't afford to spend that much money *again* to re-buy all that material.
Separate purchases. The roll20 resource gets you just the digital content, and only on roll20.   Buying a physical book gets you just the book.
wesley h. said: If you purchase a core rulebook, like the Monster Manual or Player's Guide, does that include a physical copy of the book as well, or just the extra content not included in the SRD, in digital format here? If you purchase a book (module) here on roll20, you can add it to your campaigns and use it in there (compendium / charactermancer if applicable)... you do NOT get the PDFs or physical copy of the book!
Paizo is the only separate company I'm aware of that offers a cross-buy & discount program. I am curious to see how the partnership with OneBookshelf will work regarding importing content from drivethruRPG, Dmsguild, etc.  They haven't provided a lot of detail on that yet.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi wesley! The usual analogy we use is: I bought the Lord of the Rings novels at full price.. When the movie came out, I had to buy the same story again, at full price. When the DVD set came out , I had to buy the same story again, at full price. There is a considerable amount of work that goes into each iteration. Each version is really a separate product, produced by different people, to serve different purposes.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
MysterX said: I am curious to see how the partnership with OneBookshelf will work regarding importing content from drivethruRPG, Dmsguild, etc.  They haven't provided a lot of detail on that yet. I'm curious too. I don't think Roll20 or OBS have a lot of details yet either, only intent.
keithcurtis said: There is a considerable amount of work that goes into each iteration. Each version is really a separate product, produced by different people, to serve different purposes. To me, it's the integration with the VTTs that justifies making them separate products. I'd be grumbling a lot more if they were simple pdf copies.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
True, the production of a simple PDF is pretty inconsequential, unless you are adding tons of cross-referencing and linking that would not be necessary for print production.