Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Memory Errors and Token Bar Issues

Edited 1664469233
Ashton
Forum Champion
Compendium Curator
We want to acknowledge some issues you may currently be experiencing on the Virtual Tabletop and ensure you know that we’re following along on social media and our forums, we’re working through the issues, and we hope to have fixes ready for you soon. Memory Error Starting around August 23 we were beginning to get sporadic reports of an “Aw, Snap!” memory error from users and staff. It’s not easy to replicate outside of real play, but it has been our primary focus this week as we narrow it down and push a number of smaller fixes to make the VTT more performant. We’re still investigating this overarching problem and have resolved a number of smaller performance issues along the way, with more to come. If this issue happens, you should be able to refresh your browser to resolve, and no data will be lost from your game. If this error continues, first please write into the Help Center with the following information: A link to the game Has this error occurred more than once in this game? Does the error occur immediately or after some time (or particular actions) in-game? Browser and version Any extensions enabled in your browser Is Hardware Acceleration on or off? Operating System and version CPU, RAM, GPU Disabling browser extensions, changing browsers, and using your browser in incognito mode have all solved this issue in testing. It’s worth noting that we have not found a correlation between a single release and this surge in errors, but have found a number of small performance-related improvements we can make on the VTT. We’re making those changes. EDIT 9/8/22: We've now pinpointed that the issue is specific to an update to the Chrome browser; the issue does not occur on versions equal to or lesser than 103.0.5060.0. The stable release which began to exhibit the tab crashing began rolling out to Chrome users approximately mid-July. Given the way Chrome does phased rollouts, it has taken some time to propagate, which is why reports didn't begin to properly surface until mid-August. We're working to resolve with Google. In the interim we recommend switching to Firefox if you are experiencing this error (typically only GMs), and we will update here when fully resolved. EDIT 9/27/22: We expect a fix from Google on this issue in the next two weeks. Token Bar Issues There’s another raft of issues that primarily revolve around the token bar overlay, which we updated two weeks ago. We updated the token bar overlay to use HTML/CSS, which is going to enable a lot of fun features in the future and also should speed up token bar performance in the long-term. Doing so was part of enabling the hover nameplates and token bar overlay project, which we pursued as part of finishing five of the top 10 Suggestions & Ideas suggestions this year. We released those changes on August 25. In the days following we solved the following emergent and quick-to-solve issues, which were reported on the forums: Changing the color of the token bar overlay now updates the color without requiring a refresh or token movement. Fixed an issue where token bar overlay and nameplates were visible through Fog of War. Fixed an issue with uploading a new PDF or image assets via drag-and-drop. Fixed an issue preventing token names and bars from being seen on pages with dynamic lighting enabled while multiple tokens were selected. Fixed an issue which required players with control over a token to also have “see” enabled in order to see the token bar overlay. For tokens on the dynamic lighting layer, token bar overlay is no longer visible while on other layers. Fixed an issue causing token lag when using Fog of War. (EDIT 9/14) We have released the following fixes today: Fixed a "phantom token" issue where tokens that had drag-and-dropped incorrectly or suffered another error were still showing token bars despite users being unable to interact with them. Fixed an issue where auras were not obeying see/edit rules. Fixed an issue where token bars were no longer allowing "0" as a maximum value. (EDIT 9/29) We have released the following fixes today: Fixed an issue where the opacity of the token bar overlay and nameplate were not matching the opacity of the token image on the GM layer. Fixed an issue where token bar overlay displayed on Map layer. Fixed an issue with the text shadow when zoomed in on token bars. These are the known issues that we’re going to continue working on in the coming weeks, and that you will find updates for in the Change Log as they pass through development, into quality assurance, and eventually into your hands.  This list is roughly in the order we’ve prioritized these fixes based on number of reports, usage, and impact, but they may not come out in this order depending on development and QA needs: Opacity on the GM layer should be set on the nameplate and token bar overlay. EDIT 9/29: Done Token bars and nameplates should be hidden on the map layer. EDIT 9/29: Done Token nameplates change after a bubble attribute is edited. EDIT 9/12: See Unrelated Token Issues Selection cursor inconsistency when hovering over a token. Token bar overlay does not respect “Is Drawing.” EDIT 9/12: We may update this in the future but can confirm this functionality is operating as it was prior to any changes. The stroke on the text bar shadow needs to be adjusted slightly. EDIT 9/29: Done Unrelated Token Issues Our changes revealed a larger, pre-existing issue: phantom tokens. These are tokens that are unselectable—and always have been, invisibly lurking on the VTT due to an error when performing a drag-and-drop action or similar. However, with the recent update, these phantom tokens now have bars, making them a visual annoyance. It’s difficult to isolate these tokens from normal tokens and difficult to QA at scale, so a sweep to delete all phantom tokens across all games has a high risk of causing damage to user data. We’re considering options of letting you clear these tokens with a button from within your game, but for now if you are experiencing phantom tokens you can either make a copy of your map without duplicating tokens (Gauss has detailed steps here ) and then re-add any tokens needed or follow the steps outlined by Keith Curtis (requires a Pro subscription). EDIT 9/13, 9/14: We've discovered a temporary for this that will give users a better experience while we determine root cause, and it is live as of 9/14. (EDITED 9/12) There are two other known issues that was not caused by this update but do need a fix: 1) when users change an attribute connected to the token bar, if you don’t load the character sheet before you drag-and-drop a fresh token it shows the default (max) value rather than the changed value. 2) Adjusting linked attribute bubbles renames token. These are an unintended side effect of the big performance improvements we made earlier this year to load 95% of games up to 50% faster , and can be solved individually by updating the value on the character sheet, token settings, or the token itself. I want to thank our forum champions for being on top of reports and helping all of you solve the issues here, especially Gauss, The Aaron, and Keith Curtis. We really appreciate the time and care our forum champions put into the forums and the immense amount of knowledge and experience you all have. We’re sorry for any impact this has had on your games. We hope that the current bugs are those you can work around, and please report anything that isn’t on this list to the Help Center .
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thanks for the very detailed update, Ashton!
" Token bar overlay for tokens on the GM layer now match the transparency of the tokens." I'm not seeing this fix in either Chrome or Firefox despite clearing my cache. GM Overlay Opacity is set to zero and the token image disappears but not the bar or name plate. When I rejoin as player it's all hidden.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Doug E. said: " Token bar overlay for tokens on the GM layer now match the transparency of the tokens." I'm not seeing this fix in either Chrome or Firefox despite clearing my cache. GM Overlay Opacity is set to zero and the token image disappears but not the bar or name plate. When I rejoin as player it's all hidden. Yeah, I'm not seeing that either.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
" There is one other known issue that was not caused by this update but does need a fix: when users change an attribute connected to the token bar, if you don’t load the character sheet before you drag-and-drop a fresh token it shows the default (max) value rather than the changed value. This is an unintended side effect of the big performance improvements we made earlier this year to load 95% of games up to 50% faster , and can be solved individually by updating the value on the character sheet, token settings, or the token itself . " One of the biggest reasons to use API/Mod-based macros that interact with linked token values is to NOT have to open the sheet, token settings, or manually edit the token.  Please don't forget to fix this.  Thanks
Doug & Keith -- great call out. There was a slightly different issue at play that was solved, but the net effect was not very noticeable effectively making it appear as though the issue was not resolved. I've gone ahead and updated the OP to only have it appear in the "not solved" section since that is the more accurate forward facing reality.
" There is one other known issue that was not caused by this update but does need a fix: when users change an attribute connected to the token bar, if you don’t load the character sheet before you drag-and-drop a fresh token it shows the default (max) value rather than the changed value. I'll pile on to this as well. A major reason for having a Pro membership is access to APIs - many of those update sheet attributes to make play more efficient. Because the issue seems to be intermittent, the side effect is not trusting the APIs (in the player's mind, "The Game" or platform) to work. Please treat this one with priority! Thanks! (and many thanks for all the work you folks do!)

Edited 1662986859
I'm not sure why token bar width has been dramatically increased Now token with 3 bars is just nearly impossible to use - either you place bars above token and they take up nearly half of square above token, or if you place them in "Top Overlapping" then 50% of token is lost behind bars that are wider, like, by +50% at least. What is rationale behind this? 
Gauss
Forum Champion
Anton V. said: I'm not sure why token bar width has been dramatically increased Now token with 3 bars is just nearly impossible to use - either you place bars above token and they take up nearly half of square above token, or if you place them in "Top Overlapping" then 50% of token is lost behind bars that are wider, like, by +50% at least. What is rationale behind this?  Could you please provide a screenshot? From everything I have seen they have not increased width by +50% although they did increase slightly in width.  As you can see on the image below, the width is only slightly increased on the left vs right.  Of course, the height now takes up half the token, perhaps that is what you meant?  My *guess* is that they wanted Top Overlapping to be the same as Bottom Overlapping. Personally I find it to be a bad choice.   
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You can never get the UI to a state where it pleases everyone. Unless you open it up to modders.... :)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Gauss said: Anton V. said: I'm not sure why token bar width has been dramatically increased Now token with 3 bars is just nearly impossible to use - either you place bars above token and they take up nearly half of square above token, or if you place them in "Top Overlapping" then 50% of token is lost behind bars that are wider, like, by +50% at least. What is rationale behind this?  Could you please provide a screenshot? From everything I have seen they have not increased width by +50% although they did increase slightly in width.  As you can see on the image below, the width is only slightly increased on the left vs right.  Of course, the height now takes up half the token, perhaps that is what you meant?  My *guess* is that they wanted Top Overlapping to be the same as Bottom Overlapping. Personally I find it to be a bad choice.    There was considerable feedback on this when the feature was last updated, several years ago, and the options were given for above, below, compact, numbers visible, etc. The version on the left was the compromise arrived at then: one bar overlap, the rest above the token space. This was not done for the bottom, to prevent collision with the nameplate. I suspect the development team now, is not the same as the one then and were unaware of the user feedback at the time.
Fixed an issue causing token lag when using Fog of War. We are still having lag issues with maps using fog of war.  Maybe not as bad as before your last fix but its still worse than before all these token bar updates.  Some of my players are really struggling with lag (when they were ok before)
To be specific, LARGE maps using fog of war (5000x5000)
Gauss
Forum Champion
Tariff said: To be specific, LARGE maps using fog of war (5000x5000) 5000x5000 squares? Or pixels? 5000x5000 px isn't large, that is still below the recommended 100x100 squares. 
5000px x 5000px  my group are all experiencing lag on maps with fog of war. 
I tried one player on a 4000px x 4000px map they they had no lag.   On the 5000px x 5000px map, if i removed fog of war, all lag disappeared.
5000x5000 px isn't large, that is still below the recommended 100x100 squares My point....
Gauss
Forum Champion
Tariff said: 5000x5000 px isn't large, that is still below the recommended 100x100 squares My point.... Mind sending me a link? I would be interested in seeing your setup. I am not experiencing the same issue. 

Edited 1663994668
Since whatever update was applied, the tokens appear to be bugged in 5e. Tokens that are assigned to a character sheet do not allow their hit points to be adjusted via opening the token interaction menu and doing it that way-- the only way to adjust them is to click the token cog wheel and apply either a "+ or - number" to the hp total. Also, although the hit points show as changed if you open the token "guts" and/or look on the character sheet, the visible health bar above the token does not change, it still shows as if at full hp.
Shard said: Since whatever update was applied, the tokens appear to be bugged in 5e. Tokens that are assigned to a character sheet do not allow their hit points to be adjusted via opening the token interaction menu and doing it that way-- the only way to adjust them is to click the token cog wheel and apply either a "+ or - number" to the hp total. Also, although the hit points show as changed if you open the token "guts" and/or look on the character sheet, the visible health bar above the token does not change, it still shows as if at full hp. +1
I cannot set any tokens. I'm a DM for a 5e game, and there is not a single token I can edit since this update rolled out, I can't even set new defaults for the tokens I already have, nor can I remove them. This feels a lot more like dumb hurdles to jump where there were none before rather than an update, at least for me as a DM.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Colin M. said: I cannot set any tokens. I'm a DM for a 5e game, and there is not a single token I can edit since this update rolled out, I can't even set new defaults for the tokens I already have, nor can I remove them. This feels a lot more like dumb hurdles to jump where there were none before rather than an update, at least for me as a DM. Could you elaborate? Perhaps reproduction steps?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It now appears that the ability to edit linked attributes within the Token Editing interface has been restored, for both GMs and players. You may need to refresh your browser window to see the change.

Edited 1664900645
One change in token bar behavior after the updates is that that token bars always have priority over all tokens, causing them to mask any tokens behind them. This combined with the lack of bar opacity options/translucency makes it very hard to see what tokens I am interacting with when a bunch of tokens are all mashed together,  without toggling on the hide bars options. The token bars even takes priority over stuff like the ruler tool, obscuring the measurements. It worked out better (IMO) when the the bars shared the priority of the tokens. Then you could just shift a token priority when you wanted to see its bars in a mash up of tokens.
Not sure if it's a related issue, but it seems like tokens added directly to the journals before being spawned to the VTT from there do not pick up the default token options set for the campaign room. Meanwhile tokens sent directly to the VTT pick up default settings as expected. This might be causing some confusion in certain cases.
Well, whole month has passed and issues with token bars are still here.  Is it so hard to make sure that ruler tool has a priority, so we can actually see distances to tokens, instead numbers being obscured by token bars? Is it so hard to make sure that token bars properly work with token marker positions, so we don't have to use the only usable atm "bottom" position? I'm really frustrated by what is happening with most basic functionality of roll20. 
I also posted in the bugs forum but i'll repeat here.  What we have is a VTT that cannot reliably track Hit Points and AC (think about that...).  I mean, i used programs like Klooge werks years ago that could do that without issue.  They should not be charging users if the basic functions don't even work.  Or put a notice up that informs new users that you won't be able to track Hit Points reliably... And the macro bar that goes over open character sheets.....why has this not been fixed.
Tariff said: I also posted in the bugs forum but i'll repeat here.  What we have is a VTT that cannot reliably track Hit Points and AC (think about that...).  I mean, i used programs like Klooge werks years ago that could do that without issue.  They should not be charging users if the basic functions don't even work.  Or put a notice up that informs new users that you won't be able to track Hit Points reliably... And the macro bar that goes over open character sheets.....why has this not been fixed. Have you sent a support ticket? Posting in the bugs forum does not guarantee someone will see it promptly.  They released an update today and I can see the macro bar now goes under an open character sheet, maybe try a shift+F5 on the VTT and see if its still an issue for you? 

Edited 1665669702
Jared said: Tariff said: I also posted in the bugs forum but i'll repeat here.  What we have is a VTT that cannot reliably track Hit Points and AC (think about that...).  I mean, i used programs like Klooge werks years ago that could do that without issue.  They should not be charging users if the basic functions don't even work.  Or put a notice up that informs new users that you won't be able to track Hit Points reliably... And the macro bar that goes over open character sheets.....why has this not been fixed. Have you sent a support ticket? Posting in the bugs forum does not guarantee someone will see it promptly.  They released an update today and I can see the macro bar now goes under an open character sheet, maybe try a shift+F5 on the VTT and see if its still an issue for you?  Now the sheets are in front of the zoom and Macro bar again, but the left menu is now back in front... well... at least Macro / Token Action bar and zoom panel are not interfering any longer... would still be nice to have EVERYTHING behind character sheets / handouts etc... (especially with the dark mode toggle still being displayed below the left options bar!)

Edited 1665736866
But the problem with the ruler being obscured by the new Token bars still exists as can be seen in this screenshot: Strange: Tokenbars overlap the ruler, but the ruler overlaps the token! Can you fix that please? Also Nameplates are visible "inside" Token bars now... Dog Token has the name "Zaza" that is displayed in the red bar of the "Naruk" Token... directly behind "Naruk" is our Group Token... The nameplate for that is obscured by "Naruk"... (and no matter how I move it, it always stays behind!)
I have noticed the bars have all been wiped and/or incorrect since I started my games Sunday through Monday and I bet Tuesday as well for all my Pathfinder II Ed games and my Starfinder ones.   What new stealth update happened here?? Easy fix but going over 25+ character sheets and tokens can be a real pain in the butt!! Let alone 50+ monster tokens......... SIGH Tom
Gauss
Forum Champion
Tom said: I have noticed the bars have all been wiped and/or incorrect since I started my games Sunday through Monday and I bet Tuesday as well for all my Pathfinder II Ed games and my Starfinder ones.   What new stealth update happened here?? Easy fix but going over 25+ character sheets and tokens can be a real pain in the butt!! Let alone 50+ monster tokens......... SIGH Tom Some possibilities here:  1) There is a token bug where randomly a newly created token (drag and drop from the journal) will have the settings at the time it was saved rather than the current values on the character sheet.  To remedy that you can open the sheet and click on the field that is incorrect on the token, then hit "enter". It will force a refresh of that field on the token.  For a longer-term remedy, resave the (corrected) token to the sheet.  2) If you recently went through a large token creation process (Creating many tokens for a map) there is a bug where a token is duplicated in the original state when you change the a bubble on a copy of the token.  The remedy for this is to delete all copies of the token, do a hard refresh (ctrl+F5) and then drop the token on the table.  If neither of these are the issue could you provide some information on what you had done the last time you were in the game? Set up tokens for example?
And not only is the left menu bar now up front, Token Action is also in front of everything again: It shares the same features as the left bar... why? TheMarkus1204 said: But the problem with the ruler being obscured by the new Token bars still exists as can be seen in this screenshot: Strange: Tokenbars overlap the ruler, but the ruler overlaps the token! Can you fix that please? Also Nameplates are visible "inside" Token bars now... Dog Token has the name "Zaza" that is displayed in the red bar of the "Naruk" Token... directly behind "Naruk" is our Group Token... The nameplate for that is obscured by "Naruk"... (and no matter how I move it, it always stays behind!)

Edited 1667084655
So what about token bars overlapping ruler and token markers? Are these "bugs" being even considered as bugs or now these are brand new advanced features of Roll20?

Edited 1666891252
I don't believe that those are "new features" as it is really annoying to deal with. But also, it is Roll20 we are talking about, so I guess the Devs know about it, but as always there is no ETA on when it will get fixed, IF they plan on fixing it that is! So all we can do is wait! I quit complaining about these things a while ago and ignore those annoyances!