Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Option to get the full spell list for Clerics and other divine casters.

Cleric is one of my favorite classes to play. But I find it really cumbersome that I have to manually drag all the cleric spells in my spell list each time I make a new cleric or I get new spell levels. It would had been really convenient if we could opt to automatically get all the cleric spells of our level as it is actually in the rules of the game. Being able to swap spells during each long rest is one of the best things about Clerics.
From what I've read, the limitation is intentional. At higher levels. loading up all those spells bloats the number of attributes that the character sheet has to keep track of. Depending on your computer, your browser, and how busy Roll20's servers are at the time that can cause performance problems during the game, to the point of not even being able to open the character. If there are multiple spellcasters active at once it's even worse.

Edited 1665333675
I have heard something like that too. But there must be better ways to limit the loaded spells to the prepared one without depriving the divine caster from being able to see all the possible spells they can prepare for the next day.
None that I know of. For my cleric (that I'm currently not playing because the game is on hiatus )  I pull up a link in a new browser tab with a list of cleric spells so I can get the exact spell name, then use the compendium tab to search then drag-and drop the spell to the character sheet. It's a bit of a PITA, but  I only need to do this on the rare occasions that I need to change his usual assortment. Over time, I leave any spells that I've "loaded" this way on the character sheet. I've found that I usually only pick from a small subset of the available spells and never needed to load the whole list.
yeah I also do the same, I just wish it was less of a chore to be a cleric main with roll 20 :)

Edited 1665437554
Gauss
Forum Champion
@Rick A., I regularly load up clerics and druids on all the spells they have available.  In my experience, the Lazy Loading update earlier this year rectified most of that issue. Of course, your own experience may vary.  @Elbenor, my suggestion is to use a baseline character. Use the Character Vault (requires a paid account for either the player or game owner) to import it into the game. I set my Character Creation game up with baseline characters and import them as needed. I also use a spell macro that only shows me prepared spells when I cast spells. Combined with the 5e OGL API it keeps the book-keeping down on spells.  One final note...it shouldn't take more than 2 minutes to drag every spell of a given spell level for clerics onto your sheet. Are you sorting by class and level when you search for spells? 
@ Gauss >So the best solution is only to give them money for a problem they created themselves? That is a bit exasperating. >What is that spell macro >I use an external site to find the spell list for the clerics sorted by level and then I look them up on the compendium where I drag and drop them. But it is really getting old cause 3 out of my 4 most recent characters are clerics

Edited 1666166457
Gauss
Forum Champion
Elbenor said: @ Gauss >So the best solution is only to give them money for a problem they created themselves? That is a bit exasperating. >What is that spell macro >I use an external site to find the spell list for the clerics sorted by level and then I look them up on the compendium where I drag and drop them. But it is really getting old cause 3 out of my 4 most recent characters are clerics I don't know what you mean by "a problem they created themselves". What I see being asked for is additional functionality, not a problem that was created.  The spell macro is pretty large, if you'd like it the easiest method is to share it via a word docs in Discord, unless you can import characters via the character vault (your GM needs to be paid, you don't). PM me if you'd like it.  One other thing, how are you adding the spells to your sheet? You said compendium, but are you using the filter results tool? If you aren't I suggest using it. It takes me only a minute or so to add all the spells of a spell level. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to add ALL spells to your sheet. 
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .