Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

skill attributes on NPC sheet

Is there an attribute on the NPC sheet that is the sum of proficiency and stat bonuses for skills?  I see four different attributes for perception: perception_roll: @{wtype}&{template:simple} {{rname=^{perception-u}}} {{mod=@{perception_bonus}}} {{r1=[[@{d20}+@{perception_bonus}[Mods]@{pbd_safe}]]}} @{advantagetoggle}+@{perception_bonus}[Mods]@{pbd_safe}]]}} {{global=@{global_skill_mod}}} @{charname_output} How do i use that attribute? Is it useful in macros or something? Is there a button on the NPC sheet that rolls perception? npc_perception_base: shows whatever i type in the "Perception:___" entry on the NPC sheet. if I type "+6", then that is shown the same way here. Is this meant to be a toggle? Is it meant to reflect the total of all bonuses the NPC has for Perception? Should I put a "+", or just the number? Should the number be the bonus due only to proficiency? perception_bonus: seems to be automatically updated to reflect the wisdom stat How do i use this? npc_perception_flag is set to 2, but I can't figure out why. It looks like if I leave the  "Perception:___" entry spot  empty or enter a letter in there, this attribute is "0", but if I have any numeric value in the  "Perception:___" entry spot  , including a "+" or not, then this attribute becomes a "2". What does this value mean? Is it an index or toggle? Is it used anywhere? Can I use it in a macro? npc_perception seems to remove non-numeric values from the npc_perception_base, so if I type "+6" in the "Perception:___" entry spot on the NPC sheet, this will just be "6" What is this for?
All of this is to get at this, I thought, simple question: How to I get passive perception to show up in one of the Token bubbles. None of the several perception attributes, and there are more than i thought when i look at the dropdown on the token bubble editing dialogue, seems to incorporate both wisdom and proficiency.
Also, on a Player Character sheet, the attribute perception_bonus, definitely sums up the proficiency and the wisdom bonuses. This does not happen on an NPC sheet. On the NPC sheet, its only the Wisdom bonus. Why?  Is there a way to make a macro that will roll perception correctly for both NPCs and PCs? I would like to have a button that runs this macro for whatever token I have selected. I have a macro already that does this, but since it relies on the perception_bonus attribute, it only works for PCs.  Can I create a new attribute that sums the wisdom and proficiency bonuses? Is there a way to add that to all my NPC and PC sheets?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Which character sheet are you using? 5e by Roll20?
I think so. Its just the regular 5e NPC sheet that Roll20 provides.

Edited 1668144692
Gauss
Forum Champion
On the NPC sheet you just put the total bonus for the skill in the skill area. Then click the skill when you use it. NPC bonuses are not autocalculated because NPC bonuses are not consistent with the PC rules.  Re: +6 vs 6, +6 and 6 is the same thing in the NPC skill slots. I don't understand some of your questions, could you supply screenshots for areas you are concerned about?  For PCs Passive Perception is called "passive_wisdom". You can use that for the character.  "NPC_perception" is the NPC perception score, there is no passive wisdom attribute for NPCs. (Currently there is "npc_senses" but it has other senses in addition to the passive perception, so it isn't usable.) I suggest putting in the "passive_wisdom" value for PCs on NPCs, then setting it manually.  For macros, you have problems whenever you try to do a universal macro that includes PC and NPC skills. 1) Skills may not be filled out 2) NPC Proficiency Bonus may not be filled out 3) Skills may not be assembled in the same way as PCs.  IF the three above issues are resolved, yes you can do it. 
HI, OK, I need to narrow my question. I am trying to set the 3rd bubble to be the perception for all my NPCs. I understand I will have to go in and manually set the bonus to perception in the NPC sheet if I am making a NPC. I can't figure out what Attribute to select  for the bubble in the Token Settings dialogue.  If I fill in +3 for the Perception skill on the NPC sheet, I cannot seem to find an Attribute that lists 13. That's what i need.  passive_wisdom almost works, but it is unpredictable. For example, I have an NPC with a wisdom of 12, and passive_wisdom sets itself to 14.  I deleted the proficiency bonus, and the bonus I had put in for Perception, and that doesn't do anything, passive_wisdom is still 14. If I lower the Wisdom to 10, passive_wisdom becomes 13. It is assuming a +3 from somewhere. Also, I can change the passive_wisdom attribute by hand on the Attributes page of the character sheet, but it just changes back. It doesn't matter what I put in the Perception entry space on the NPC sheet. That has no impact on passive_wisdom. Proficiency Bonus doesn't affect passive_wisdom either.  I really dont understand why this is so hard. All I want is to be able to look at the token and have perception in one of the bubbles.

Edited 1668968564
Gauss
Forum Champion
There is no attribute for just Passive Perception on an NPC.  The closest thing is NPC_Senses, but it provides the entire NPC senses line. Example: "darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 12" NPCs are not built like PCs, a lot of the auto-calculation of PCs does not exist on NPCs because NPCs are not built consistently by the rules. Many stats are arbitrarily assigned rather than based on ability scores and proficiency bonus.  Your best bet is to enter the value manually in the bubble. 

Edited 1668984729
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
What Gauss said. However, the game rules state that PP is just 10 + whatever bonuses would apply to a Perception roll: that's not a PC character gen rule, that's a universal rule. So the simplest is just use @{npc_perception} in the bubble and add 10 in your head - it's not exactly savant-level math. Or make a macro if you don't want to do that /w gm @{selected|token_name} PP: [[@{selected|npc_perception} + 10]] Displaying pre-calculated custom values on the token would need to be done via a mod script or changing the character sheet - inline rolls don't work in token bubbles.
I was using the method that Oosh describes above. It puts the modifier in the bubble and I just mentally added 10. It usually , works except when it intermittently and inconsistently doesn't. Now I just look up the NPC's passive perception and manually set the bubble value. I keep a library game where I save all of my altered NPCs.