Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Crown of the Oathkeeper Bundle

Just a heads up to anyone considering picking up the Crown of the Oathkeeper Bundle, there is nothing in any of the bundle additions that you do not already get by just buying the module/adventure itself.  Also there are 8 maps that will not load. My PC has Ryzen 5 5600g CPU, Radon 6600 XT GPU and 32gb of RAM and those 8 maps will not load no matter how long I wait. Some of the other maps take a while to load. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi GM Scotty! I just loaded the module and all maps seem to load for me, even on a midrange Chromebook*. I only tried a sampling of pages, not every one, though. Can you list some of the problem maps? Also, the marketplace page seems to list many items not included in the module, such as token packs and compendium information. Can you give some examples? Did you purchase the module or the bundle? If there are indeed problems, I believe this adventure was created by Elderbrain . Their web page has contact info. *Computer specs rarely affect the loading of basic web image formats on Roll20. Usually it is a communication problem somewhere along the image serving path. You might be able to test if there is interference by deleting cache/cookies, trying a different browser or using a private browsing window. Also, you can try creating a new isntance of the game, in case the data was somehow garbled.
The maps that will not load are all 4 Royal Palace Maps, Quellar Austy, Ronuls End, Primary Drainage and Temple of Light. I bought the bundle and compared each of the addon to the module and the only difference is that the Map Pack has copies of the 2nd and 3rd floors of the Royal Palace. Those copies will load but the regular ones will not. Other than that everything that is in the addon is in the actual module.
I did mention this when it was first released as it looked very odd. I believe the intention was probably to add items to the Compendium but instead you just end up with journal handouts so nothing new is actually added to the game. The list of items are as follows: NPC Tokens Player Options Map Pack Magic Item Collection Sound Pack Monster and NPC Compendium Did you get anything in the Roll 20 Compendium for any of the above?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
GM Scotty said: The maps that will not load are all 4 Royal Palace Maps, Quellar Austy, Ronuls End, Primary Drainage and Temple of Light. I bought the bundle and compared each of the addon to the module and the only difference is that the Map Pack has copies of the 2nd and 3rd floors of the Royal Palace. Those copies will load but the regular ones will not. Other than that everything that is in the addon is in the actual module. Thanks for that list. I can confirm. It looks like on those pages, they have uploaded a low resolution background image to provide the page thumbnail and placed the high resolution maps in slices, stitched together in the VTT. This is common practice to handle very large maps. Those Hi Res images seem to be gone, leaving only the lo res backdrop.  I'll file a report, but it would probably be good for one of you to contact the producer/publisher,   Elderbrain . They'll need to do the fixing. Roll20 however might want to investigate the marketplace  setup for the product.
So it seems that zooming the maps out to %10 will clear them up. According to the Elderbrain Discord, they do not have access to the Compendium yet, but they are working on it.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Wow, so it does! I don't think I have ever seen a commercial product with that big a single map image. I would have sliced it were it me. I'll cancel the red alert. ;)
Yeah, looking at the maps it doesn't look like it would have been that difficult to have sliced them up to make them smaller. Hopefully Elderbrain will learn from this and change the way they go about putting things together in the future.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It's a common technique, but I don't think it is documented anywhere. The trick is to include the very low res composite image behind the slices. It a) loads quickly and gives the user an indication that a better version is still loading, and b) generates a thumbnail of the entire image for the page menu.

Edited 1670701346
Gold
Forum Champion
If the 10% trick works, it would probably also work if you Select the image (the background map) and press Z or Shift-Z by loading the "Original" or "Full" sized image, that might be an act that clears it up from then on ? GM Scotty said: So it seems that zooming the maps out to %10 will clear them up. According to the Elderbrain Discord, they do not have access to the Compendium yet, but they are working on it. How big are we talking here anyway? Got me wondering how big these maps went (in Units or better-yet in Pixels if anyone knows) keithcurtis  said: It's a common technique, but I don't think it is documented anywhere. The trick is to include the very low res composite image behind the slices. It a) loads quickly and gives the user an indication that a better version is still loading, and b) generates a thumbnail of the entire image for the page menu. would be a good entry on a Best Practices for Module Conversion Guide. Cool tip & method