Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Place images at original size

Hi all, I want to make a dissection puzzle for my players: y'know, the one where they get a bunch of triangles and rectangles of different size and need to fit them all together the right way. I created the shapes in PowerPoint and uploaded to roll20 as individual jpgs. But when I drop them on the table, they all come out the same size, ruining the puzzle! I tried alt-dropping them on different layers but it made no difference. Any advice for plunking down an image at its original dimensions?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Dylan! If you right click on the entry in your art library, you can manually set the desired size, but this only works for whole grid units. If you know the actual dimensions, you can right click on the placed items and set it by pixel. If you make that image the default token of a dummy character, you can drag that character out and have the image always come out to size. The reason that this isn't a feature is that it isn't as useful as it sounds. Unless an image was created at 70 pixels per unit, it would not come out matching the grid, which is what most graphics need to do in some way or another. A map that a creator made at 72, 75 or 96 pixels per grid unit would not "know" what size to be when dropped.

Edited 1669685355
Gold
Forum Champion
Here's a couple of ways to try, (1) Create a new Page in Roll20 with the Grid DISABLED. Then try plunking the graphics from your Library there. This method used to work but may have been changed in a Roll20 update. This other method should work, the problem is you need to Re-Upload them again and it seems to only work on the original uploading (the first plunk): (2) Drag the JPG files from your Desktop, DROP(plunk) them onto your Tabletop. From your Desktop not from your Library. This should keep the aspect ratio and maybe the original size. I have a different viewpoint on how useful it would be. The theory of Roll20 is to replicate anything you can do at your kitchen table, and surely you should be able to plunk a rectangle as a rectangle (not as a square), and plunk an Elephant not equal to a Building not equal-sized to a mouse. Good news, Roll20 has recently introduced a new Marketplace feature endeavoring to plunk Marketplace purchased graphics at their original aspct ratio and pixel dimensions. However it requires the Marketplace artist to pre-set the dimensions in some meta data.  Maybe roll20 can add that 100% size Meta field to User uploaded Art Library in the future. That would be super useful. Dylan S. said: Any advice for plunking down an image at its original dimensions?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Gold said: This other method should work, the problem is you need to Re-Upload them again and it seems to only work on the original uploading (the first plunk): (2) Drag the JPG files from your Desktop, DROP(plunk) them onto your Tabletop. From your Desktop not from your Library. This should keep the aspect ratio and maybe the original size. I have a different viewpoint on how useful it would be. The theory of Roll20 is to replicate anything you can do at your kitchen table, and surely you should be able to plunk a rectangle as a rectangle (not as a square), and plunk an Elephant not equal to a Building not equal-sized to a mouse. I agree that you should be able to keep the aspect ratio. You do during upload. But if you have elephants from multiple sources that are 70px wide, 140px wide and 1000px wide, how would Roll20 know how big to make the elephant on the VTT during upload? You can do it by manually setting a size in your art library (though you are limited to units), but it makes no sense during the upload phase. Jpegs don't typically carry metadata like intended resolution. Good point about turning the grid off. I forgot to check that.
Try holding the ALT Key when dragging an image to the VTT. This way it keeps its original size... Dylan S. said: Hi all, I want to make a dissection puzzle for my players: y'know, the one where they get a bunch of triangles and rectangles of different size and need to fit them all together the right way. I created the shapes in PowerPoint and uploaded to roll20 as individual jpgs. But when I drop them on the table, they all come out the same size, ruining the puzzle! I tried alt-dropping them on different layers but it made no difference. Any advice for plunking down an image at its original dimensions?
Thanks for the advice, everyone. Unfortunately, none of these ideas worked for keeping the correct aspect ratio of my uploaded images. I double-checked the images themselves by uploading to a digital whiteboard problem (Miro), and the puzzle worked well there. Uploading straight to the VTT (instead of the art library) seemed to keep the images' size, but not their correct aspect ratios. Alt-plunking didn't make any difference Using a gridless map didn't work either, although it did prevent the images from transforming to fit a single grid cell As for the conversation about whether players should  be able to plunk down a picture at its original size/aspect ratio, that's not for me to decide; I can only humbly suggest that my posting here means that there are at the least a few cases where this functionality would be appreciated. Image-based puzzles are fairly common in RPGs, right? Appreciate the comments. For now, I'll have to either redirect my players to Miro or else drop the puzzle completely.
Dylan S. said: Thanks for the advice, everyone. Unfortunately, none of these ideas worked for keeping the correct aspect ratio of my uploaded images. I double-checked the images themselves by uploading to a digital whiteboard problem (Miro), and the puzzle worked well there. Here's a suggestions &amp; ideas thread about this image sizing problem that you could weigh in on: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7622106/drop-original-size-art-asset-onto-the-tabletop-from-art-library/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7622106/drop-original-size-art-asset-onto-the-tabletop-from-art-library/</a>