Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

New Print Functionality for Character Sheets

Gauss
Forum Champion
Chris M. said: Just adding a "second" to having the option for NPC sheets printed as the original compact stat block. I'm very used to running baddies with all that info in a nice compact form, and for some games, I like to have them printed out. At least for me as GM, I don't need the full character sheet info for my NPCs that players have for their characters. Which character sheet is this for? The 5e by Roll20 NPC character sheet prints off the compact form correctly. 
I was literally trying to do this a few hours ago. Man, that is weird! :D
Just a note to what I found when printing; page breaks seem to work better when I set the page to legal (US) and when I use "MS print to pdf" not "save to pdf"
Can you make this for others system? Like the Witcher for example?
Gauss
Forum Champion
André C. said: Can you make this for others system? Like the Witcher for example? You will need to ask the maker of the character sheet to update it for printing. 
Thank you !!
Is this going to remain a 5e exclusive? Or are we going to see this expanded to other systems? (I'm personally most interested in a Pathfinder version)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Presumably, once the kinks have been worked out (this is early days for the feature), the other official 5e sheets will be treated, but this might be dependent on unknown factors or agreements. And of course community sheets are at the whim of their developers. If you have a sheet you want converted, find the author and (respectfully) lobby for it.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
It's not a 5e exclusive. It just takes sheet authors to implement it. That can take time.
Thank god. It's nice now features that people wanted and should be exist are being finally being done.
I am looking forward to this for the official Cthulhu Sheet regarding NSCs... It'd be great having those ready on the table...
I third the request for printable NPC sheets. I plug all my NPCs into roll20 but we occasionally play in person and being able to have NPC sheets printed out ready to be used would be a big deal.
Thank you for this feature, it's a great Christmas gift ! 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Joshua H. said: I third the request for printable NPC sheets. I plug all my NPCs into roll20 but we occasionally play in person and being able to have NPC sheets printed out ready to be used would be a big deal. What is missing from the current NPC Printing, other than bio page info?
Any idea when this feature may hit the pathfinder 2ed official sheet from Roll20
Will sheets saved to the Character Vault be printable, too?
the one thing I notice is with all the abilities and stuff the sheets just don't have enough room will this be rectified maybe a spill over sheet 
Gauss
Forum Champion
Helen P. said: Will sheets saved to the Character Vault be printable, too? You can currently print those by importing them into a game. 
Regarding the 5E Sheet? Nothing! Would be nice to see this feature for ALL other Charactersheets by Roll20... keithcurtis said: Joshua H. said: I third the request for printable NPC sheets. I plug all my NPCs into roll20 but we occasionally play in person and being able to have NPC sheets printed out ready to be used would be a big deal. What is missing from the current NPC Printing, other than bio page info?
You can create a new game and import all characters there you want to print... (difficult if you have characters for multiple systems, but right now only the 5e sheet has this feature) Helen P. said: Will sheets saved to the Character Vault be printable, too?
The Bio Page seems to missing from the PC sheets.  NPCs are being shifted from stat-block format to PC sheet format losing most of the information.  A printable stat-block option would be fantastic! 
Hey Paul P., could you elaborate on " NPCs are being shifted from stat-block format to PC sheet"? Does that mean that when you try to print a NPC sheet you get a PC sheet instead, unlike the screenshoot  keithcurtis posted a few replies above? If that is the case, could you let me know your Browser and operation system combination? If I that is not the case and I misunderstood your message, could you post an screenshot to help me understand it?

Edited 1671576723
Actually, when you open a npc charcater sheet, and open the cog, if you scroll down to sheet type, it's by default to PC, even if it shows a npc character sheet on the screen.  When you try to print that character sheet, it seems to take into account that parameter. So if you switch the sheet type to NPC, then the print version is correct.  But it's also true that when you print the character sheet (npc or pc), you don't get the bio tab printed.  Would be good if the bio tab could be printed as page one, and if you don't want to print it then select only page 2, because losing the pic of the npc, and his bio details is most of the times damageable to the printing ability. EDIT : and that's without mentionning the page break issue with your items list...
Gauss
Forum Champion
Lionel V. said: Actually, when you open a npc charcater sheet, and open the cog, if you scroll down to sheet type, it's by default to PC, even if it shows a npc character sheet on the screen.  Yeah, that is a known bug, has been there ever since the Kingdom update. Now that it affects printing I expect it'll get more attention. 
Thanks for the info!
Thanks! :-D

Edited 1671647565
Gauss, Lionel V. and    Paul P., thanks for bringing the npc character sheet type issue to our attention. We have already deployed a hotfix to address this problems on npcs created before the introduction of Kingdom sheets.
Does this work with Call of Cthulhu ?
Sure.  System information: Windows 10 Pro; Chrome v.108.0.5359.125 (64-bit).  I attempt to print an NPC sheet on the 20th - It appeared In the Print Preview or Save as PDF, or similar options it appears as a PC character sheet instead.  The information in the character sheet is not formatted correctly or was wrong.  I didn't grab any screenshots at the time :(  I just tired popping in and out of different games to check the functionality... It all seems good now.  Any idea what might have caused the issue?  - - Paul Miguel P. said: Hey Paul P., could you elaborate on " NPCs are being shifted from stat-block format to PC sheet"? Does that mean that when you try to print a NPC sheet you get a PC sheet instead, unlike the screenshoot  keithcurtis posted a few replies above? If that is the case, could you let me know your Browser and operation system combination? If I that is not the case and I misunderstood your message, could you post an screenshot to help me understand it?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Gods D. said: Does this work with Call of Cthulhu ? AFAIK, only the D&D 5th Edition by Roll20 Sheet has been converted so far. This is a brand new functionality, still in development. Other Roll20 sheets will likely be updated as time goes on, and community sheets will be updated at the discretion of their developers.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Paul P. said: Sure.  System information: Windows 10 Pro; Chrome v.108.0.5359.125 (64-bit).  I attempt to print an NPC sheet on the 20th - It appeared In the Print Preview or Save as PDF, or similar options it appears as a PC character sheet instead.  The information in the character sheet is not formatted correctly or was wrong.  I didn't grab any screenshots at the time :(  I just tired popping in and out of different games to check the functionality... It all seems good now.  Any idea what might have caused the issue?  - - Paul My guess is that it was an issue with the PC/NPC setting on the sheet. Sometimes a sheet shows the PC setting on an NPC sheet, that could cause problems with the new printing system.  The next time you have an issue please check the PC/NPC/Kingdom setting, take a screenshot if that setting is incorrect relative to the sheet you are using. 
Paul P. and Gauss, The issue was being caused by the lack of the charactersheet_type attribute, it only affected older character sheets that were created before the kingdom sheet went live. As mentioned above, we patched this to create this attribute and assign the proper value on older sheets. If you face this issue in the future, or any other in fact, drop us a line.
How do we access this?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
DragonKing said: How do we access this? Do you mean as a sheet designer, or an end user? If as a sheet designer, there's a help center article here . If as an end user, currently only the D&D 5th Edition by Roll20 Sheet is print ready, and there is a print icon in its title bar.
Devs of Roll20,  Thank you very much for this great feature. Even with the minor quirks to work out, this is a very nice feature to have available. It allows folks who want to make use of their Roll20 compendium purchases for character building and the excellent character builder wizard on the actual table-top. I can't tell you how many times I've built characters using Roll20 and then had to manually recreate them on a printed blank 5e sheet so that I wouldn't need my computer to be able to play that character in a face to face game or on a venue other than Roll20 (like a Zoom streaming game for example). This also makes it easier for people to share characters.  It makes me happy that the staff of Roll20 are dedicated to listening to feedback and providing solutions that the community wants even if they are difficult problems to take on. -virtuadept
Awesome!!!!!!
Just dropping by to let you know, as some may have already noticed, that we have update the printed sheet to support resources and and to better handle long equipment and/or actions lists and page breaks. Please let us know how that goes on your side.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Wow, that's impressive, it even adds spellbook pages with all of the descriptions. Nice!
Miguel P. said: Just dropping by to let you know, as some may have already noticed, that we have update the printed sheet to support resources and and to better handle long equipment and/or actions lists and page breaks. Please let us know how that goes on your side. Sorry to say, but this looks pretty messed up... As you can see this is Page 1 and 2 of the Print Result in the Preview... On second page you have the other part of the equipment in the middle column, but on the left there are spells and on the right side you have the resources... Page 1 and the rest of the sheet (Page 3 with spells and the overview of Traits / Spellbook) looks fine, Page 2 is messed up... Suggestion: why not repeat page 1 in the print result but in the middle column just print the overflowing equipment if the list does not fit on 1 page...
TheMarkus1204, thanks for the feedback. Could you try closing the preview and hitting  the printing button again? For some reason, that we are still looking to track,  images and styles may not fully load once you hit the print button for the first time. It seems this happened to you by the screenshot you've shared.

Edited 1673003867
I did as you said and the preview looks the same. No change since my last comment. Margins are: Top: 10; Bottom: 10; Left: 10; Right: 20 However changing those does not solve the problem :) As said: Page 1 looks fine. Page 3 (Spell List Page) and the following Pages regarding Traits and Spell descriptions etc. look fine also. It is just Page 2 that is messed up (Equipment overflow; as not all of the Inventory fits on page 1). But I also don't understand why the Money is also printed - again - on Page 2 as it is already visible on Page 1. Miguel P. said: TheMarkus1204, thanks for the feedback. Could you try closing the preview and hitting  the printing button again? For some reason, that we are still looking to track,  images and styles may not fully load once you hit the print button for the first time. It seems this happened to you by the screenshot you've shared.

Edited 1673014733
TheMarkus1204, by the screenshot you have shared nothing looks fine, most of the images and borders are missing. Could you let me know your browser version, operational system and page size (letter, A4)? In that way I can try to reproduce it on my side. As for the duplicated currencies field, the sheet is not just aimed to print the last state of the character saved on the vtt but to also allow players to insert further information on it. The coin pane on the top will print any money you character may have, the one in the bottom will always be blank so you can take notes during gaming sessions. This principle has been applied to many different places of the printed sheet. For your reference, this is how it is supposed to look like when a character is printed:
Of course I can. Latest Windows 10 and latest Chrome. I used Incognito Browsing, so no extensions enabled! Miguel P. said: TheMarkus1204, by the screenshot you have shared nothing looks fine, most of the images and borders are missing. Could you let me know your browser version, operational system and page size (letter, A4)? In that way I can try to reproduce it on my side. As for the duplicated currencies field, the sheet is not just aimed to print the last state of the character saved on the vtt but to also allow players to insert further information on it. The coin pane on the top will print any money you character may have, the one in the bottom will always be blank so you can take notes during gaming sessions. This principle has been applied to many different places of the printed sheet. For your reference, this is how it is supposed to look like when a character is printed:
Update: it seems to be a problem with google chrome! Tested it again in Firefox and on that it looks the same as your screenshot! Yes, Size is A4, per default Margins are all 0, this is what I'd change so that it does not all stick to the very top of the page...
TheMarkus1204,  I am glad you managed to get it working on Firefox. You should be able to specify a margin within Firefox print dialog. With that said,  would you mind telling us more about your Goofle Chrome setup? What version are you running? Any plugins installed? Are you on Linux, macOS or Windows box? I am asking because the screenshots above were taken with chrome and this is the first time we hear about this issue.
Miguel, I am using latest Windows 10 and latest Chrome. It does NOT matter if I use Incognito or not, it always looks the same. Size is A4, no margins set. (I know I can set margins in the print dialog) This is Page 1: And this here is Page 2: