Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Add Game Setting Control to fully disable Charactermancer

Score + 25

Edited 1671555624
Please give those of us who don't use the charactermancer a way to keep our players from shooting themselves in the foot.  Put a control in the Game Settings that completely disables the charactermancer allows the DM to select one of several modes of operation, including "totally disabled" for all sheets in that game, and for "disabled" removes any buttons from Roll20-maintained sheets.  Provide a mechanism for individual sheet authors to determine the state of the control, and disable or correctly display it on their sheets. Modes other than totally disabled should support those who use charactermancer with milestones and those who use it with XP, as described in the thread below. When disabled, there should be no activation buttons or references to charactermancer on the sheet. Not grayed-out buttons, but none. Edit: clarified the text to add modes of use other than always on and always off.
I have never given a +1 to something so fast in my life. Please make this a thing! One of the first things that I cover in Session 0 is to not use the charactermancer to create and/or level up their characters.
Is there any way to give a fraction of a vote to something? <grin> I agree that there should be a setting to completely disable the charactermancer. BUT, Those of us who use the charactermancer, and use the point system, should be able to disable the always-there-red-button. So, there are really 4 possible settings:  1. The red button is there always and the charactermancer can be activated at any time.  2. The red button is there only when there are enough points to go up a level for those that use experience points.  3. The red button is never there, but the charactermancer can be started manually whenever needed/wanted.  4. The charactermancer is completely disabled.
The big red button should be an option, only to be shown when there are enough points to level up as it was previously. For the folks that want access to it all the time, it is still easily available on the setting tab.
Keeper of Secrets (KoS) said: The big red button should be an option, only to be shown when there are enough points to level up as it was previously. For the folks that want access to it all the time, it is still easily available on the setting tab. A big +1 to this. 
Keeper of Secrets (KoS) said: The big red button should be an option, only to be shown when there are enough points to level up as it was previously. For the folks that want access to it all the time, it is still easily available on the setting tab. +1 On this although I kinda understand why they did this. Not everyone uses the XP Thresholds but the Milestone system. And other Players do not even use the charactermancer (and if not for the reason that you need to buy each and every book - again - here on roll20 to have full access to everything)
+1
+1
As of yesterday, the Change Log says we now have a control in Game Settings to set the charactermancer display on the 5E sheet to be: Milestone, Experience Points or Disabled.  And it appears to work for new sheets. It does not, however, work for existing sheets, even ones that never used the charactermancer.  They've still got a bright, pink, button on them. Am I missing something obvious, or is that how it's intended to work?
If you are using Milestones, the button is ALWAYS there! (statet in the settings for the sheet) It also states that you have to "Apply Default Settings" while inside your campaign... Tested it in one of my Campaigns and it works just fine (I disabled charactermancer completely and the button was not there anymore!)

Edited 1675264720
This worked for almost all of the existing 5e Roll20 character sheets in my games. Out of 12 sheets, all but 3 now only display the red icon. I submitted a help request about it. TheMarkus1204 said: If you are using Milestones, the button is ALWAYS there! (statet in the settings for the sheet) It also states that you have to "Apply Default Settings" while inside your campaign... Tested it in one of my Campaigns and it works just fine (I disabled charactermancer completely and the button was not there anymore!)
Thanks, TheMarkus1204, I'd thought that was a reference to saving settings, I hadn't known there was a buttom named Apply Default Settings in-game (it's tucked away in the Miscellaneous tab if anyone else is looking for it). That fixed all of my sheets. No more button, even for people with pending level-ups.
I tried the experience driven Charactermancer and I like it! Thank you Roll20!
I opened this topic, and I think with the 1/30 change, it's fully implemented.  Can some moderator mark it "completed" so we all get our votes back? If there's something still missing, please speak up.