Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Add a way to hide modifiers to rolls (attacks, skills, saves) that the DM makes and only show the roll total after all mods have been applied!

Score + 18
Like I said in the title of the post it would be really nice if there was an option for the DM to roll without it showing all the modifiers when you scroll over the roll. This would help prevent meta knowledge from seeping over to the players so they don't know exactly how strong a monster is and what their specific saving throws are and whatnot. I don't think it would be particularly hard to do this, but this way a DM wouldn't have to roll entirely in private to not give meta knowledge to his players. Example. The DM rolls an attack with a longsword from a Wight. The Wight has a +5 to attack and rolls a 12 on the d20. This equals a 17 to hit. All that would display on the players end is 17 to hit and then any applicable damage if the attack is successful.  Please put this in! It would be so helpful!
Stephen C.
Pro
Sheet Author
I like this idea. Some GMs really don't want players to be able to have that kind of meta knowledge. It's kinda like rolling behind a GM screen. Would this mean that nat 1s and 20s also wouldn't have red and green borders?
I actually think this needs to be implemented as the converse of the proposed suggestion: only the unmodified die roll is shown in the players' chat windows (i.e., only the GM sees the adjustments).  This would greatly simplify using abilities which are timed "after the die is rolled but before the GM announces success or failure".
Yes but then a player might be wasting a casting of shield because they don't know what the total of the attack was, and I'm not really a fan of making players waste spell slots like that. Some DMs play that way, but it's not my style. 
Although honestly there should be an option for both ways! So you can DM how you want. 
Lucas, you raise an interesting point about the Shield spell.  I hadn't thought about that, and you're quite right, I would not require a wizard to guess whether the 5 points of AC would be enough to make an attack miss or not.
I agree that if implemented, it needs to be an option. Lucas and Bill, I understand your take, but it depends on the player group. With my crew, the uncertainty of a spell's (or any action's) effectiveness actually adds to the game. Kind of like discovering that a monster is immune to fire damage by watching it ignore the wizards fireball. Lucas S. said: Although honestly there should be an option for both ways! So you can DM how you want.