Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

LFG suggestions

Edited 1674753225
I've been playing TTRPG's online for almost 4 years now but I've always struggled with finding games, applying and getting accepted is fairly easy but the real issue has always been being able to find the right type of game to apply to. From the various reddits to discords to forums the only system that I've been able to get good games out of has been the  Roll20 lfg mostly because it's the only thing designed solely for the purpose of finding games, it's not just a repurposed forum or chatroom and while a reddit lfg post could hide many things in terms of how a game might actually be ran there's only so many ways a game on Roll20 can turn out. I can really see the Roll20 lfg system becoming the main way to look for and find games but I find it too simple so here are some suggestions : 1 - Let users filter by DM subscription, personally I hate playing in games without dynamic lighting and I'm sure others think the same, this would also be an incentive to get a subscription to make games seem more appealing in the lfg. 2 - When someone makes a game if they pick a module automatically assign a "module" keyword to the game so you can filter  games that are or aren't module based. 3 - Generally if there is an option to look for something specific there should be an option to look for it's opposite, for example the opposite of " Only find games that  welcome new players " would be a " Only find games that don't  welcome new players ", if we don't want games with new players,  another example would be only finding games that are pay to play. 4 - There should be a "setting" text field where the person making the post can write things like "forgotten realms" or "homebrew", it could also be a dropdown menu filled with "official" settings and one homebrew option to make sure it's not abused.  5 - There should be a way to post a game with multiple possible play dates to make sure the post reaches as many players as possible instead of having users make the same game/post multiple times for each day effectively reducing clutter. This would also be useful for more open, west-marches type games or discords that don't necessarily play on a specific date. 6 - There should be a separation between posts looking for a dm and potential players and west-marches type games (generally any game with a looser schedule and a lot of potential players) or people advertising their discord servers. 7 - For pay to play games there should be a section in the post to write upfront the per session price and a way to filter the paid games by price. 8 - The default option for the " Audio / Visual" section should be voice only, or at least, have the website make sure people don't miss out on this setting when making a post with a popup or alert when left on the default setting as I'm sure many dm's accidentally end up advertising their games as video and voice instead of something else which typically means less applicants since most online games tend to be voice only. I know I've made that mistake before. Thank you for your time, excuse any typos.
Gold
Forum Champion
yes please compile all good LFG (Forum & search engine) Suggestions and implement any-all in Clever ways that helps to: Connect More people To more Games
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .