Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Darkvision

As most of you know, D&D Darkvision allows a creature to see in darkness, but in greyscale. Is there a way to change what a player sees to greyscale, unless there is a light source to provide color vision?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Some folks add a gray tint to the vision color, but I don't recommend it. It's harder to see because of the way transparency is handled, and interacts in unexpected ways with colored light.
I tried that, and it didn’t accomplish what I hoped. It would be nice if the devs added a box to click to designate greyscale.
This would be a cool function but I have no idea how hard it would be to implement. Also, if adding tint to vision is as wonky as I've experienced then I would dread the kinds of issues this could cause. In my cast, any time a situation arises where something important on the map depends on color, I make the item monochrome (or invisible) until it comes into the line of sight of a PC with carrying a light, at which time I describe it in either a chat whisper or a private voice channel.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Ciaran said: I tried that, and it didn’t accomplish what I hoped. It would be nice if the devs added a box to click to designate greyscale. My guess is this would be a significant change from the way color is handled. "Light" is actually just revealing undarkened areas of an artificially darkened map. The tints applied are just color floods with degrees of transparency (about 35% for auras, not sure about light and vision). These tints don't actually alter anything about the color underneath. For that you would need some sort of filter or transparency mode. I have no idea how hard or possible that would be to implement, but it would be an entirely different bit of coding.