Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Is there a way to set the Default Spellcasting Ability to Spell instead of the ability scores on a 5eOGL sheet?

Edited 1679311838
Whenever I drag spells from the compendium into my character sheet, its default spellcasting ability is set to intelligence (for my wizard). So if I have a magic item that has the MODs: Spell Attack +1, Spell DC +1, it doesn't affect the spell output in the chat. IE at lv3 with +5 intelligence_mod, the spell DC should be 15, +1 from the item making it 16, but a spell I haven't changed shows DC 15 Currently I have to go into each spell and change the dropdown list to using SPELL instead of INTELLIGENCE. Is there a way to do all the spells in one go or set it to default when I drag and drop spells?
You don't need to change every spell. Go to the character sheet cog wheel setting and add the plus one to the Save DC Mod. refer to picture below:
Warlord said: You don't need to change every spell. Go to the character sheet cog wheel setting and add the plus one to the Save DC Mod. refer to picture below: I know I can do that, but I want to use the item mod as it can be toggled with a single checkbox. 
Is this item from the compendium or is homebrew?
So I try with the mod on the item like this and it works.

Edited 1679328077
I see the mod for the item is spell Attack +1, spell DC +1. Base on your comment above is not "Spell Attack" or "Spell DC" the commands are sensitive to capital letters. try it with  spell Attack +1, spell DC +1. I hope this will work, it worked on mine. I try it with the different Capital and worked. can you post a screen shot of the item mod setup. (Like the one I put above)
Warlord said: I see the mod for the item is spell Attack +1, spell DC +1. Base on your comment above is not "Spell Attack" or "Spell DC" the commands are sensitive to capital letters. try it with  spell Attack +1, spell DC +1. I hope this will work, it worked on mine. I try it with the different Capital and worked. can you post a screen shot of the item mod setup. (Like the one I put above) The item mod works as intended, it raises my Spell Save DC as shown on the very top of the spells page. The issue is when I drag spells into the spells list from compendium to charactersheet, it defaults as using Intelligence to calculate the DC instead of Spell save DC displayed on top.

Edited 1679339991
Gauss
Forum Champion
Which spell is it doing this with?  Could you provide some examples, maybe a screenshot or two?
I'm trying to replicate, but I can't, any spell I drag from compendium gives me the correct modifier spell or Spell casting mod. This happen for any spell. can you tell me what spells have you try?
Warlord said: I'm trying to replicate, but I can't, any spell I drag from compendium gives me the correct modifier spell or Spell casting mod. This happen for any spell. can you tell me what spells have you try? For me this seem to be happening to most spells, but it comes and goes between sessions. As in sometimes when I drag spells, it uses SPELL as spellcasting ability, but other times it's whatever ability my class uses, making the bonus from items ignored. This screenshot is from a sheet that I manually changed every spell to using SPELL multiple times in the past couple of months, but today when I opened it, there are still two spells using INTELLIGENCE. And I know it's not because I missed those when I changed them manually because a month ago, all my spells suddenly changed to using INTELLIGENCE between sessions.

Edited 1679343114
Gauss
Forum Champion
Bowman, are you using the Charactermancer? Did you level up a month ago?
Okay now I can't replicate it either on this sheet, all the spells I drag in to this specific sheet are now using SPELL as spellcasting ability by default. I'd think I'm crazy if not for when I open a different Character sheet in a different game, I dragged in a Rod of Pact Keeper +1 which is an item with the aforementioned DC +1 bonus. Out of the 4 spells that character has that requires a save, 2 changed and 2 stayed the same.  The 2 that changed are cone of cold and lightning lure, whereas Raulothim's Psychic Lance and staggering smite stayed the same. For this sheet I never changed any spell because I never had a DC modifying item in this game. So it seems to occur only some of the times.

Edited 1679344070
I have a player who leveled up his character two weeks ago at the end of our last session and he experienced this same issue when we played last night (3/19/23). His spellcasting ability is charisma but the spells have been coming in tied to intelligence .  Yes, he used Charactermancer to level up (Arcane Trickster Rogue, level 8).  Gauss said: Bowman, are you using the Charactermancer? Did you level up a month ago?
Gauss said: Bowman, are you using the Charactermancer? Did you level up a month ago? It is possible. I do use charactermancer. But for my newest lv3 sheet, I had just created the character today, levelled up to lv 3 with charactermancer, AND THEN, dragged in all those spells because the DM told me the character picked up a spell book with many spells he can't use. And all those spells I dragged in AFTER the last use of charactermancer, all have INTELLIGENCE as the casting ability.  But now that I changed all the spells manually, I can no longer replicate this, all the new spells I drag into this sheet uses SPELL. I didn't use charactermancer again between this change. 
Rick A. said: I have a player who leveled up his character two weeks ago at the end of our last session and he experienced this same issue when we played last night (3/19/23). His spellcasting ability is charisma but the spells have been coming in tied to intelligence .  Yes, he used Charactermancer to level up (Arcane Trickster Rogue, level 8).  Gauss said: Bowman, are you using the Charactermancer? Did you level up a month ago? I'm pretty sure that's intended. Arcane Trickster do use Int as spellcasting ability. So if he levelled up, the overall spell casting ability would have been tied to Intelligence. But if you go into his spells and look at individual spell's Spellcasting ability, does it say SPELL or INTELLIGENCE? The former is the correct one

Edited 1679344953
Gauss
Forum Champion
Bowman, if you find this happening again please let me know, I'd like to see if I can trace down what is happening.  Rick, if you change the spellcasting attribute to Charisma instead of Intelligence (such as per a house rule) and then use the charactermancer the charactermancer may override it back to the original setting.  To prevent that change the spell's name to something else...like with an extra space in it.  
Thanks, Gauss!  Gauss said: Bowman, if you find this happening again please let me know, I'd like to see if I can trace down what is happening.  Rick, if you change the spellcasting attribute to Charisma instead of Intelligence (such as per a house rule) and then use the charactermancer the charactermancer may override it back to the original setting.  To prevent that change the spell's name to something else...like with an extra space in it.