Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

How do I link my health to a bar on the token?

I've been trying to find this out online but I can't find any information that isn't 3+ years old and there seems to have been a redesign since then since the posts refer to stuff that doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Edited 1679887370
Hi, Xathonn! First be sure the token is set as representing a character with a character sheet. Then open the token menu. On the right hand side there will be the three circles representing the three bubbles on the radial menu. Each one can have a value and a max. Next to the max entry field is a drop down box labeled "attribute." It has all the attributes listed on the attribute tab of the character sheet. See if you can find the one that refers to your health or hit points or whatever it's called on your character sheet, and choose that. Then put some value in the value field for the same bubble , and you should have a health bar. If you like the result, you can click on a button in the same token menu, under the name boxes, to attach the new settings as the character default.

Edited 1679887737
I use the Roll20 for D&D 5E character sheet. If you use a different sheet some of the variables I mention may be different. From the character sheet, click on "Edit" then select the Edit Token Properties. In the token editing window select the drop-down menu under "Attribute" for whichever bar you want assigned to health (usually bar 1). Set that attribute to "hp". The numbers to the left of the Attribute should populate from the character sheet. Then, select the three-dot button to the right of the attribute and make sure that "see" and "edit" are checked. (If  "see" is not set, then only the persons that have control over that token will be able to see the health bar).  Save settings and the next time you drop the character's token to the VTT it will have the health bar. Lower in the token editing window are places where you can define the appearance and location of the token bars: Standard will show the actual hit points in the bar while Compact will show only the bar without any numbers. For an NPC or creature, don't link the attribute to the NPC character sheet: manually input the numbers. If you tie the attribute to the "npc-hp" attribute, all copies of that npc will be affected whenever you adjust the hit points for one.
My token settings panel has a lot fewer options than yours do.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Xathonn! That's because that is the player view. It is the responsibility of the GM to set up tokens. Most campaign either use some degree of automation or macros that depend on tokens being set up uniformly throughout a campaign. Communicate to your GM that you need to have your token set up. You can send them a token image if you have one and they can assign it, or you can assign the image yourself with abilities recently granted to players, but assigning bars and such has to be done by the GM.
oh ok, thank you for your help