Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

New Player need help with Character creation

Hi all, Apologies if this question has already been posted, i dont have the time to trawl through the whole forum. I'm a new player (never played D and D) and want to start. I have played other games like Battletech and Warhammer but never had the opportunity to play D and D. I did a search on the net, as there is nothing local in my area (UK), to see how to get into this game online and it recommended I visit Roll20 and play on here. Having a look around it all looks pretty daunting. After a bit I see I can join a game using the "Join a Game" area, but I cant see how I can create my character to use in those games. How do I go and create a character??? and are there guides for creating them. Also I have noticed there are listings for games that have up to 999 players? I was under the impression that D and D was played using a small group of 4 to 6 players and a DM? This all looks quite confusing and TBH not very helpful. I have watched a few videos etc but all not helpful, the site looks to be created for the player that has some knowledge of playing and not very friendly to the complete (and I do mean complete) novice wanting to join. Any help and guidance would be much appreciated. Ozmodion

Edited 1680082228
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You aren't wrong, it is very daunting but the community in general is super helpful. Here are some quick tips to get you started: Head on over to ' create a game ' and set up something using the character sheet of your choice (Official 5e by the sounds of it) Games are free and secure so you can use that as a playground to explore the system, especially as the SRD is also available via the compendium and the Charactermancer will guide you through the basic process... check out the getting started guide 999 player games are either westmarches style (multiple groups and DMs rotating or playing different games within the same world) OR gaming groups used to help generate group with specific interests around particular settings/systems/geographical locations For specific advice I'd recommend checking out places like reddit or forums relating to your system of choice as this one is primarily for Roll20 discussions only... however, do continue to ask Roll20 related questions here and the community will answer as best we can :)
Thanks for the reply, very helpful. OK so im watching a youtube video on creating characters. Am i right in saying that when I play a game for the first time I create a char to play with at Lvl 1, then play and level that char. Once completed that campaign that char is then gone and when i go play another game with another DM or a different campaign i have to create another char?
There is a 'character vault' which allows you to save your character and import that character sheet into a new game. 
Usually, a player will create a new character for a game using parameters set out by the DM or GM (Dungeon Master or GameMaster) that created it. Some  DMs/GMs will allow you to bring in a character that you've saved from another game IF it's been created using the same game system. You can practice creating characters in a game that you set up for yourself, but often the DM/GM of a game will have purchased resources (compendiums, etc.) that will give you character creation options that aren't included in the basic membership, which for a D&D 5E game includes only the SRD (Systems Reference Document) which is a very basic. Most DMs/GMs that accept players new to the game system will help walk you through character creation as well as the basic gase rules. Oz said: Thanks for the reply, very helpful. OK so im watching a youtube video on creating characters. Am i right in saying that when I play a game for the first time I create a char to play with at Lvl 1, then play and level that char. Once completed that campaign that char is then gone and when i go play another game with another DM or a different campaign i have to create another char?
ok thanks that makes sense.