Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Will D&D modules purchased on Roll 20 transfer to the D&D Beyond tabletop?

I was watching videos and commentaries from the D&D summit and it looks like WOTC is building an amazing virtual tabletop. Will the D&D modules I purchased here be available for me to use there? Or just stuff purchase on D&D Beyond?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Luke! Not an official answer, but my guess is almost certainly not. DnDBeyond is owned by Hasbro, which is a different company from Roll20. An analogy would be trying to use an Applebees gift certificate to purchase a meal at Dennys. Also, if and when the DnDBeyond tabletop ever appears, it will be using an entirely different technology to produce its interface. It would be like trying to push a book into a CD slot. Again, not official, just an observation based on experience.
 Thanks keith, I was checking because I have so many D&D assets here. I would hate to have to buy them again on D&D beyond. I will definitely hold purchasing anymore till I see what happens with WOTC. I think they said they are playtesting with staff and family now and will be inviting other later this year. It looks pretty amazing.  keithcurtis said: Hi Luke! Not an official answer, but my guess is almost certainly not. DnDBeyond is owned by Hasbro, which is a different company from Roll20. An analogy would be trying to use an Applebees gift certificate to purchase a meal at Dennys. Also, if and when the DnDBeyond tabletop ever appears, it will be using an entirely different technology to produce its interface. It would be like trying to push a book into a CD slot. Again, not official, just an observation based on experience.
With what I've seen of their proposed 3D VTT, I doubt any of the modules currently available anywhere will be compatible, at least as far as maps and token are concerned.
Yea your probably right. Rick A. said: With what I've seen of their proposed 3D VTT, I doubt any of the modules currently available anywhere will be compatible, at least as far as maps and token are concerned.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Luke B said:  Thanks keith, I was checking because I have so many D&D assets here. I would hate to have to buy them again on D&D beyond. I will definitely hold purchasing anymore till I see what happens with WOTC. I think they said they are playtesting with staff and family now and will be inviting other later this year. It looks pretty amazing.  According to official statements, the app is in pre-alpha. I strongly doubt there's any playtesting going on. Earliest possible projected date I have seen is late 2024, and that would be ambitious. It's a totally different thing; I'm not sure what assets could be in common. To date, Roll20, DnDBeyond and Fantasy Grounds have no collaborative purchase program, and it's unlikely they ever will. They are just different companies with different products.
keithcurtis said: Luke B said:  Thanks keith, I was checking because I have so many D&D assets here. I would hate to have to buy them again on D&D beyond. I will definitely hold purchasing anymore till I see what happens with WOTC. I think they said they are playtesting with staff and family now and will be inviting other later this year. It looks pretty amazing.  According to official statements, the app is in pre-alpha. I strongly doubt there's any playtesting going on. Earliest possible projected date I have seen is late 2024, and that would be ambitious. It's a totally different thing; I'm not sure what assets could be in common. To date, Roll20, DnDBeyond and Fantasy Grounds have no collaborative purchase program, and it's unlikely they ever will. They are just different companies with different products. I know right. I am just trying to avoid buying more assets that aren't going to be compatible going forward.  As far as a date for their new tabletop there is a video on you tube with people running a game on it and it says it will be available for playtest later this year. I would link the video but that might be against the TOA here on roll20.
I had no idea DDB were going down this route... makes sense, but it's taken them a while. Will be interesting to see how this lands as  I've bought quite a lot of DnD stuff here (though not my favourite gaming system). I wonder if other publishers are thinking of following...
Denny Kaye said: I had no idea DDB were going down this route... makes sense, but it's taken them a while. Will be interesting to see how this lands as  I've bought quite a lot of DnD stuff here (though not my favourite gaming system). I wonder if other publishers are thinking of following... Yea it's pretty exciting. The tabletop looks really cool. I hear they are opening beyond to third party content developers too so I would wonder if the dms guild is going to be moving there.
With the amount of time that it takes me to design encounters on Roll20's 2D VTT, I shudder at what it's going to take in 3D. And then getting some of my players to grok it? My brain boggles. I can buy a token set or a map pack for less than US$10. I can buy very nice maps from 3rd party creators for US$1-$5 each. I can create free  tokens and maps from public domain art. What's it going to cost to buy the assets for use on a 3D VTT running on Unreal Engine?
From what I have heard it will be a tiered subscription like roll20 with the tabletop and free content included depending on the tier and then of course the options to purchase more assets. I don't know for sure though.