Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

New Update 9/3: Card Improvements!

Edited 1409757644
Riley D.
Roll20 Team
There's a new update out on the main server today for everyone which adds some fun new card deck improvements! If you want the "pretty" summary with screenshots and whatnot check out the blog post . Otherwise, read on for the nitty-gritty details: Card Deck Improvements We've made several improvements to the way that Card Decks function in Roll20 based on the community's feedback. Under the settings for the Deck, you'll see a new option to enable Specific Card Choosing . When enabled, either the GM or the GM and Players can "look through" the deck to choose a card and play that one to the tabletop or their hand. You can choose to show the fronts of the cards or only the backs. Note that if you have enabled a discard pile for that deck, cards that are in the discard pile will not be shown in the chooser. Otherwise, all cards not currently in play (in a hand or on the tabletop) are available. For both the new "Choose" and the existing "Discard" windows, rather than only allowing the current player to take a card, you can now drag and drop the cards either onto the hand of any player or onto the tabletop, just like a player's hand. So as the GM you can now handle all card-related activities if that's better for your group. There is a new setting under the Deck Settings that allows you to choose whether cards played from the deck should be treated as Drawings (the current behavior) or as Tokens (just like any other token played to the tabletop). Useful if you like to keep "stats" on your cards. If a card is treated as a token, when you place the card into your hand the system will now remember the values of the bars for the token , and when you play it back to the tabletop those values will still be there. Note that if you trade the card to someone else that data is lost. It also won't update if that token is "linked" to a Character and the attribute changes while the card is in your hand. This is just basic functionality to allow things like tracking status rounds for a card. In addition to the above, when the card is in your hand if there is a value set for Bar 1, that value will be displayed on the card when you view it in your hand. Again, useful for tracking things like status rounds that might affect the card. There is a new Campaign-wide setting (under the My Settings gear tab for the GM) which allows you to set the size of the deck display for everyone. So if you are primarily playing a card-based game, you can make the decks much larger and easier to see. Other Changes and Improvements A new shortcut has been added: Pressing "z" while you have anything on the tabletop selected (e.g. a card, a token, etc.) will open up a "zoomed in" version of that object at the full resolution it was uploaded at originally (similar to the zoom for handout and character graphics). The zoomed-in version of graphics (for the new 'z' shortcut, handout graphics, etc.) has been fixed so that the graphic will appear in the center of the screen rather than aligned to the top. References throughout the application to "D&D Next" have been changed to "D&D 5E". Exiting games using the "Next" moniker will be updated automatically. When using the Dynamic Lighting Layer to draw walls, the Freehand tool will no longer show as an available option. Instead the default drawing tool will be the Polygon tool. This is to aid in performance. Existing lines that were drawn with the freehand tool on that layer are not affected and will continue functioning. The card size that cards show up by default when played to the tabletop is now standardized. You can manually override this size using the settings for the Deck. Enjoy!
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Looks good!
Ooooo yeaah.... Loving the card search. :) All I wanted for a card-based inventory.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Very nice additions/changes. Thank you roll20 developers.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
So, it seems counter intuitive to me that if you have multiple copies of the same card from an infinite deck that they would all get the same number as all the others when you pick them up.
Hmmm...I know *why* it's doing that, and that makes sense. I'll look into fixing that.

Edited 1409802318
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Cool. =D Thanks!
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
BTW, is there a way to access that number in the API while the card is in a hand?

Edited 1409811474
Gold
Forum Champion
The new "z to zoom Tokens to full resolution" is spectacular. What a great surprise new feature. I tested. It's so awesome for my "theater of the mind" games where the token is really more of a portrait-picture, but you don't want it full-size on the table all the time because you want to use tokeny features like green bar & hit points at a reasonable size and fit several of them on the screen at once. Up until now, I have been telling my players "Zoom yourself to 200% and I'll shift-ping you to the token so you can see the details". My question on this feature is: Can the GM "force z view" to the Players? (making the token image z-pop-up in full size for everyone)?
Glad you're liking that one, Gold! Someone suggested it for the cards and I thought it was a good idea so I enabled it for everything as you noted. There's not currently a way for the GM to force 'z' but I think I could add something like that. Certainly an interesting idea!
Aaron said: BTW, is there a way to access that number in the API while the card is in a hand? There will be.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Riley D. said: Aaron said: BTW, is there a way to access that number in the API while the card is in a hand? There will be. Sweeeeeeet! =D
Riley D. said: Glad you're liking that one, Gold! Someone suggested it for the cards and I thought it was a good idea so I enabled it for everything as you noted. There's not currently a way for the GM to force 'z' but I think I could add something like that. Certainly an interesting idea! Hitting Z a second time while zoom is open should toggle it closed. Please?
HoneyBadger said: Riley D. said: Glad you're liking that one, Gold! Someone suggested it for the cards and I thought it was a good idea so I enabled it for everything as you noted. There's not currently a way for the GM to force 'z' but I think I could add something like that. Certainly an interesting idea! Hitting Z a second time while zoom is open should toggle it closed. Please? Yeah working on hitting "Esc" at the very least make it close. "Z" a second time would make sense too. We'll see what I can do.
Also, it would be nice to have a way to order a deck in alphabetical order.
Gold
Forum Champion
Riley D. said: Glad you're liking that one, Gold! Someone suggested it for the cards and I thought it was a good idea so I enabled it for everything as you noted. There's not currently a way for the GM to force 'z' but I think I could add something like that. Certainly an interesting idea! I'm gong to test "z" in actual gameplay today (5E), tomorrow (Basic), and next Tuesday (AD&D). I imagine it would be nice as GM to force-z to the players. I'll post that again in Suggestions after play-testing to be sure the players would want that. In the meantime I think I'll just be instructing the players "Click z on this token if you want to see it full size". Also agree with "z" a second time to close it, or Escape key to close it. (Right now you mouse-click the pic to close it, which works fine for me, but a key would make sense too for those who stay at keyboard command)
The new deck features are very nice, and just what I was looking for. I second that "z to zoom" is the best feature I didn't know I wanted until I got it, although now I'll have to pay more attention to the artwork on the tokens I'm throwing out...
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Also, it would be nice to have a way to order a deck in alphabetical order. Yes. Please!
Considering we use cards for shapechangers in our party this is going to be very very handy! Also means I can fiddle with a random encounter deck again
Vince said: Also, it would be nice to have a way to order a deck in alphabetical order. Yes. Please! This could definitely be helpful, as well as the rollable tables! If you heavily use tables like myself, finding the proper table, or deck can be pain... But the option to pick up a selected card in your deck, awesome!
No mass card upload?
Chris B. said: No mass card upload? I second this! I'm trying to get an Agricola game started, mass card upload would be AMAZING!
One thing, if the GM has the power, y he can't stole any card from players ? (he has to ask for it like an ordinary player)

Edited 1410116958
Gold
Forum Champion
Riley D. said: There's not currently a way for the GM to force 'z' but I think I could add something like that. Certainly an interesting idea! I playtested the "z to zoom" in 2 games so far. My hunch was validated. I would really like GM's to be able to "force-Z" to zoom a token to full resolution to all the players' screens -- in order to "show full size" the goblins tokens, which aren't selectable tokens for the Players. Everyone would be able to close the image on their own (to match Handouts closing behavior). Another Roll20'er has started a Suggestion thread asking for the same z-improvement idea, <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1155904/zoom-imp" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1155904/zoom-imp</a>... Thanks for considering this, Devs!

Edited 1410120143
How about changing Z to Zoom to work on any graphic object/element on the map layer just by hovering the mouse over the object? No selection required.

Edited 1410140211
Gold
Forum Champion
HoneyBadger said: How about changing Z to Zoom to work on any graphic object/element on the map layer just by hovering the mouse over the object? No selection required. Wouldn't that be a madhouse if every graphic that your mouse passed over, popped-up? Mouse click & Z-key is not too much clicking, in my view. Mouse click & Z-key already works on the Map layer (it isn't limited to objects on the Token layer). But its effect is only visible to the GM, leading to my request for the GM to have the ability to Z-key to the players view, regardless of layer.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
I think HB is just suggesting that you would point to a graphic and push Z, the click would be redundant in that case.

Edited 1410140514
Gold
Forum Champion
Aaron said: I think HB is just suggesting that you would point to a graphic and push Z, the click would be redundant in that case. Ah, I see what you mean, now. I still think it might not work right, but now for a different reason. In Roll20 you can easily have multiple objects layered on top of each other. So which object is "under your mouse hover"? Would it be the token, words, table, carpet, or floor? To me it doesn't seem wasteful of a click to select the object that I want to "z". I would tend to favor any GUI suggestions that make things easier or more intuitive, though, so I agree to that extent on the idea.
The solution is simple... Z to Zoom first looks for what you what you have selected and then looks for whatever has the highest z-index value on the token/object layer. This means players could use Z to Zoom to look at tokens and other objects on the object layer, even if they don't have control of that token. If Z to Zoom worked with mouseover/hover, it makes the feature more accessible to everyone. As it is right now, players can only zoom the one or two tokens they have control over .
Gold
Forum Champion
Some more problems I would wonder about with allowing Players to Zoom things that they can't select: Players zooming things that are under Fog Of War Players zooming things that are beyond their Dynamic Light Players zooming things that are in a different room, or across a wall. Players zooming things that the DM just meant as a small prop, not meant as a zoomable detail. To me it seems better for the GM to have control of Z-key for force-zooming the objects which Players can't select. That way GM decides what is zoomed (and Players can still z-key anything that the GM has made "selectable" for them).

Edited 1410208187
Gold
Forum Champion
Apologies if my suggestion or response has angered you. My intent was only to address the feature suggestion & how it would work if it was in my games. The cussing is harsh and vexing in your reply. For those games that irritate you, one suggestion if you don't like the GM's pop-ups, you can politely leave that campaign and join a different GM.
Think of it this way... at the table in real life... the GM doesn't shove a piece of paper into your face, blocking your view of everything else just to show you one picture. They hold it up or pass it around. I'd much rather have a little notification box pop up in a corner the says the GM has shared something with you, click here to view it or something to that effect.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
+1 for Notifications. =D (especially if there is API access... =D )