Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Tokens that are supposed to emit light ... don't

Edited 1685908818
This started today while I was finishing setting up some maps for tonight's game: Tokens that have light enabled, either bright or dim light, suddenly stopped working. I was setting some lights and using CNTRL+L to see the effect. I placed a few lights and all was fine, then suddenly it wasn't. The token that I was using suddenly couldn't see the light anymore. I tried some different tokens, then tried different tokens on other maps that I'd already completed and teste, even a few old ones that I knew were working. I then pulled up some other games that I'm working on and all seems fine. I went back to the first game and it was still borked. I have checked on multiple map pages. I have verified the token vision and light settings. I have cleared cache. I have exited, shut down and restarted the browser, cleared cache and logged back in. I have logged into that game as a player I have done all of the above with both Chrome (Version 113.0.5672.129 (Official Build) (64-bit)) and Firefox version 113.0.2 (64-bit) I have submitted a bug ticket, but was wondering if anyone else had experienced this. Edit: I just used  keithcurtis  DLTool on both a token with vision and a token that is supposed to be emitting light and in both cases everything looks the way it's supposed to, except that no tokens can see any light sources other than the  Daylight Mode  set under Dynamic Lighting in the page settings. Edit 2: I created a copy of the game, then Rolled Back the original game to the previous day's version (when everything was working properly. No change, even though everything was working fine when I stopped editing the game that day.
Are you using the old or the new toolbar? If you use the new - redesigned - toolbar, try switching back and see if that solves your problem... Rick A. said: This started today while I was finishing setting up some maps for tonight's game: Tokens that have light enabled, either bright or dim light, suddenly stopped working. I was setting some lights and using CNTRL+L to see the effect. I placed a few lights and all was fine, then suddenly it wasn't. The token that I was using suddenly couldn't see the light anymore. I tried some different tokens, then tried different tokens on other maps that I'd already completed and teste, even a few old ones that I knew were working. I then pulled up some other games that I'm working on and all seems fine. I went back to the first game and it was still borked. I have checked on multiple map pages. I have verified the token vision and light settings. I have cleared cache. I have exited, shut down and restarted the browser, cleared cache and logged back in. I have logged into that game as a player I have done all of the above with both Chrome (Version 113.0.5672.129 (Official Build) (64-bit)) and Firefox version 113.0.2 (64-bit) I have submitted a bug ticket, but was wondering if anyone else had experienced this. Edit: I just used  keithcurtis  DLTool on both a token with vision and a token that is supposed to be emitting light and in both cases everything looks the way it's supposed to, except that no tokens can see any light sources other than the  Daylight Mode  set under Dynamic Lighting in the page settings. Edit 2: I created a copy of the game, then Rolled Back the original game to the previous day's version (when everything was working properly. No change, even though everything was working fine when I stopped editing the game that day.
I switched back to the old toolbar earlier today, before I started editing. Over the last few days I'd been using the new one while creating the three maps that I'll be using today (which is why I finally gave up on it).  I had the same idea about that toolbar having something to do with this, but switching between the two versions had no effect. TheMarkus1204 said: Are you using the old or the new toolbar? If you use the new - redesigned - toolbar, try switching back and see if that solves your problem...
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Rick! When you ran DLTool, did you run the "Why can't this token see?" test? Could you post a screenshot? What did DLTool report as the amount of light the token was in?  What is the scale on the page? I haven't tested for this before, but unusual Cell Widths might affect measurements.

Edited 1685919065
Output for character token "Lenka". Also output for the page "Redfires Inn" and "Hooded Lantern" which the Lenka character is positioned next to.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hmm. Nothing stands out from those reports. All indications are that the tokens should be able to see. One highly unlikely possibility is that the map somehow got moved to the GM Layer? If the page background was play, that would reveal nothing but black. Really unlikely but something to check. If you'd like to shoot me an invite via PM, I'm willing to investigate first-hand. If we can determine the problem, then it might give one more case to test for in DL Tool.
Fortunately, the players only made it to the first of the problematic maps during tonight's game, and we ended before it became a problem. The map is on the map layer. I have most of the light-emitting tokens on the DL layer. This is currently happening on two maps. It was happening on five maps earlier today but three of them magically started working again with no help from me. I'll send you a link via DM. I'm calling it a night but we can try during the day Monday when we can both find the time. Or you can take a look on your own; I've made a backup copy of the game. Yellow are problematic; green have self-repaired: