Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Give Players the Ability to flip their Tokens

Score + 37
My players and I love moving our tokens around and interact with the Npcs and objects from the world I made. We also use Isometric to make it feel more lively, to say the least. One nitpick tho, is that only I, as the GM, have the power to flip their tokens. It kinda ruins my momentum and train of thought whenever they request for such. For now I remedy it by turning their tokens into rollable ones (One base and One Mirrored), but even then, it kinda chugs my laptop's power (it's a 2012 ancient laptop that still kicks I guess). I've only seen solutions where I NEED to have a Pro subscription and have the API and stuff and frankly, it's a bit too much for my monkey brain to handle. I am aware of how many times this topic has been brought up many-a-times, but the traction seems to fall off. But I'm not giving up hope lmao Will there be an option for players to be able to flip their own tokens, horizontally and vertically?
Being able to delegate out some DM only things would be great. I'm all for an option for giving players the ability to resize, rotate, flip, and roll their own tokens.
Isn't this already possible by right clicking on their tokens and choose "Change side"? Especially with rollable Tables as you mentioned...
TheMarkus1204 said: Isn't this already possible by right clicking on their tokens and choose "Change side"? Especially with rollable Tables as you mentioned... Yes, but that requires the GM to take each token image, save copies of it flipped into each position, then upload them to a rollable table for each character. Roll20 already has a native feature that allows the GM to flip a token. It would save a lot of work if players had access to that for their own tokens.
KBK said: Being able to delegate out some DM only things would be great. I'm all for an option for giving players the ability to resize, rotate, flip, and roll their own tokens. They can already rotate and roll their own tokens.
Stephen C.
Pro
Sheet Author
Players can already rotate their token, and the world hasn't ended yet. Giving them the option of flipping their token should be a fairly simple matter, and it should be some appreciated functionality.
Having players be able to create their own rollable (multi-sided) tokens sounds like a good idea, but assumes that your players are comfortable with doing so - and willing to learn how. If this kind of customization is incorporated, I hope it's an option that can be enabled/disabled by the game creator. I shudder at the thought of what the collections tab of my games would look like if some of my group had access to it.
Rick A. said: Having players be able to create their own rollable (multi-sided) tokens sounds like a good idea, but assumes that your players are comfortable with doing so - and willing to learn how. If this kind of customization is incorporated, I hope it's an option that can be enabled/disabled by the game creator. I shudder at the thought of what the collections tab of my games would look like if some of my group had access to it. The suggestion isn't to let players create their own rollable tokens. Only to give them access to this for their tokens:
Jan K. said: Rick A. said: Having players be able to create their own rollable (multi-sided) tokens sounds like a good idea, but assumes that your players are comfortable with doing so - and willing to learn how. If this kind of customization is incorporated, I hope it's an option that can be enabled/disabled by the game creator. I shudder at the thought of what the collections tab of my games would look like if some of my group had access to it. The suggestion isn't to let players create their own rollable tokens. Only to give them access to this for their tokens: Thank you for giving a more simplified description of what I wanted lmao. Really appreciate it!
Whoops! Sorry for the misunderstanding. JanJems said: Jan K. said: Rick A. said: Having players be able to create their own rollable (multi-sided) tokens sounds like a good idea, but assumes that your players are comfortable with doing so - and willing to learn how. If this kind of customization is incorporated, I hope it's an option that can be enabled/disabled by the game creator. I shudder at the thought of what the collections tab of my games would look like if some of my group had access to it. The suggestion isn't to let players create their own rollable tokens. Only to give them access to this for their tokens: Thank you for giving a more simplified description of what I wanted lmao. Really appreciate it!
I'm having the same conundrum right now. Running an isometric game and players not being able to flip their tokens is just such a baffling omission. 
This feature shouldn't be locked behind API. I support this.
I also support this, been wanting this for a good while actually.
ooh It has been a while now has it. Then I'm bringing it back, and to entice everyone how it would be more cinematic, here is a small scene with my players and a spider boss. Now it would be amazing if players could be able to flip their tokens so they can be cinematic with it, too!