Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Announcement + AMA: Dungeon Scrawl is now part of the Roll20 Family!

CryptoCartographer
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Of course I'm running a session tonight for which this would be a great solution. I do hope integration of Dungeon Scrawl rolls out quickly so we can begin using this tool. I played with it for the first time today, and already it is scratching a grognard itch I'd nearly forgotten about. I don't know what the final integration will look like, but there is a step along that path with a great deal of utility: Roll20 has a map layer tied to a DS map Dungeon Scrawl has a "publish map" button. GM draws the DS map in one browser tab and hits "publish" to update in the Roll20 tab—including increasing the grid as necessary. This basic functionality would solve 90% of my dynamic-mapping needs. Sure, there are lots of "nice to haves," like visible tokens in the editing window, lighting, etc. But I hope you won't let an ultimate goal of seamless integration prevent a clunkier—but extremely useful—interim solution.
Erik S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Im a bit late picking up on this, so maybe Im missing something, but won't having access to a free map making tool like this essentially kill most demand for a  good chunk  of the marketplace products in the Maps category? Don't get me wrong, I agree adding  Dungeon Scrawl will be mostly beneficial to the community, It just seems like a potential kick to the face of anyone trying to post dungeon mapping assets on the marketplace...
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Erik S. said: Im a bit late picking up on this, so maybe Im missing something, but won't having access to a free map making tool like this essentially kill most demand for a  good chunk  of the marketplace products in the Maps category? Don't get me wrong, I agree adding  Dungeon Scrawl will be mostly beneficial to the community, It just seems like a potential kick to the face of anyone trying to post dungeon mapping assets on the marketplace... I strongly doubt it. The maps I have seen from Dungeon Scrawl are serviceable, but they are rather modest and uniform in their appearance. There will always be a market for people who like a certain map maker's style.
Question - Do I have to have a pro subscription to Dungeon Scrawl to import maps into Roll20? I see no way to "Publish" or link it to my Roll20 games.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Henry! The announcement above was about the acquisition of Dungeon Scrawl by Roll20. The intent in the future seems to be to build that sort of synergy. Right at the moment though, you can use each program separately as you could before the merger.
This opens up exciting opportunities for OSR style play, I would 400% pro subscribe if this tool let me: 1. Assign a player the rights to be able to draw the map as I describe overall dimensions, with myself and the remainder of players seeing an updated map in real time. ("The room you enter is 20 x 20, with a door in the middle of the western wall.") , 2. Drop character and monster tokens onto the live map with grid measurements working, and 3. Keep each map in it's native vector format so I'm not chewing through online storage as my party roams from dungeon to dungeon. Very awesome and exciting tool!
Ive said this in a few other places on Roll20,  We now need Isometric Token sprite options. Let me explain, you load 4 pictures for a token instead of 1. Front, back, sides Instead of the Token rotating with the E key, it loads one of the other pictures, allowing for further immersion in Isometric maps. in my opinion, t his small change alone would put Roll20 at the forefront of innovative  Vtt's with more options even than 3d Vtt's.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi d4WeDie! Does Dungeon Scrawl make isometric maps? If you want this functionality today, I know there is a script for it somewhere. I can dig up the link if you are interested.
I'm trying Dungeon Scrawl right now and it's AWESOME. Thank you so much!
Had to play with the layers, shadow and shading (not the same thing, confusingly) but was finally able to make something like walls in my isometric mapping. This could be fun.
d4WeDie said: Ive said this in a few other places on Roll20,  We now need Isometric Token sprite options. Let me explain, you load 4 pictures for a token instead of 1. Front, back, sides Instead of the Token rotating with the E key, it loads one of the other pictures, allowing for further immersion in Isometric maps. in my opinion, t his small change alone would put Roll20 at the forefront of innovative  Vtt's with more options even than 3d Vtt's. I'm more interested in things closer to camera (lower grid spaces) being above the tokens behind them.  keithcurtis said: Hi d4WeDie! Does Dungeon Scrawl make isometric maps? If you want this functionality today, I know there is a script for it somewhere. I can dig up the link if you are interested. ...is there a script that does this too?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
keithcurtis said: Hi d4WeDie! Does Dungeon Scrawl make isometric maps? If you want this functionality today, I know there is a script for it somewhere. I can dig up the link if you are interested. ...is there a script that does this too? I thought there was, but the ones I am finding either put a facing pointer on the token, or change the image based on token rotation, or change the rotation based on the direction moved. I'm almost positive there was one that changes the image based on direction moved. I'll keep looking.
Why is dark mode behind a paywall? I'm visually impaired and it would be really nice to see when using the website, I already pay the pro sub, why should I pay 7 more for a reasonable  accommodation?

Edited 1695844560
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Loch said: Why is dark mode behind a paywall? I'm visually impaired and it would be really nice to see when using the website, I already pay the pro sub, why should I pay 7 more for a reasonable  accommodation? Deleted my post about Roll20 dark mode, because I didn't realize you were talking specifically about Dungeon scrawl.
keithcurtis said: Loch said: Why is dark mode behind a paywall? I'm visually impaired and it would be really nice to see when using the website, I already pay the pro sub, why should I pay 7 more for a reasonable  accommodation? Deleted my post about Roll20 dark mode, because I didn't realize you were talking specifically about Dungeon scrawl. No worries. didn't even see it, also didn't see a need to specify since this forum is about Dungeonscrawl and I have used Roll20's dark mode since it was added. I appreciate you responding, I'm sure the original comment  was helpful.
I have a question regarding this app. Would I be able to drop a pre-generated map in the map layer. Then use dungeon scrawl to reveal the map as they move throughout the map ? This would eliminate the need to go into dynamic lighting because dungeon scrawl would make my walls, borders, etc and I create it real time for the players to see.
Hey there,  I might be missing something but I seems that I am not able to sign up to have a pro version of Dungeonscrawl, I would very much like you to take my money, but cannot figure out how.  The options to use pro features in Dungeonscrawl, ask you to sign in, I don't have an account and the Sign up button in Dungeonscrawl has gone away. The user experience starting to use this tool feels like Roll 20 has locked me out of using a Pro feature, its not a great experience. 😅
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
To verify, you are not seeing the sign up button here? If this is the case, try loading the site using a private browsing window. You may have interference from a cookie or cached data.
Is it possible to have multiple users working on the same map simultaneously?
Magill F. said: Is it possible to have multiple users working on the same map simultaneously? In Roll20, yes (announce the other one as Co-GM). For Dungeonscrawl I am not sure. Right now I don't think so.
Understanding there are factors I'm not aware of, including this with pro (or discounting it with plus) subscriptions would impact users' choice to keep/get a roll20 subscription. Lighting is neat, API is nice (if sometimes difficult), custom sheets are cool if you can code, but maps... I often need maps. Dungeon Scrawl (free) has allowed me to quickly create clean player-facing maps for the old-school D&D modules. And they always fit the grid without hassle. It's a great tool for Roll20 with a low learning curve.

Edited 1699280178
This is exciting news. I've felt for awhile that the implementation of the maps layer in Roll20 was lacking, particularly for improv heavy parties. In addition to the cost/subscription questions above I have a couple of other questions/suggestions: -In the interest of seamless use, will the DungeonScrawl UI and functionality be integrated into the Roll20 app, perhaps in a new tab for DMs? as presented in the video (leaving R20 to go to an external site, draw, and push an update) I see no reason to use this as opposed to DungeonFog (my current go-to). As a matter of fact, there are aspects of DungeonFogs presentation (namely the available textures to render your map) that may still make it a compelling competitor to DS despite integration, unless DS plans to upgrade to similar features (or unless they already exist, to be frank I haven't messed with it much yet) -secondly, and this is more of a feature I was hoping for in the current map layer model, but seems like a good enough time for an overhaul: will there be a background and a foreground layer? For example to illustrate rooftops on buildings, canopies of a forest, or similar thing to keep interiors out of sight until a player/party enters (without resorting to just black voids using dynamic lighting)?